Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between Cuban entry permit and Cuban Visa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Difference between Cuban entry permit and Cuban Visa

Hi guys- I'm traveling to Cuba from Newark airport in early January 2017 with United Airlines. I can purchase a Cuban entry permit at the check-in counter at Newark airport the day I fly out. Does anyone know what the difference between an entry permit and a visa? As a American, which one do I need? Also, I'm traveling to Cuba under educational activities- people to people exchanges. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:10 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Entry permit is more convenient and limited to tourist visit while visa can be broader. For tourism there is no advantage to getting a visa. Rules should be ok until late Jan Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:01 am

The document you need is correctly referred to as a Tourist Card, and if departing direct from a US airport, it should be pink and cost about U$50-85 (depending on who is selling it).
That is a requirement of the Cuban government.

The educational/people to people category choice is currently a requirement of the airline, in case the US government ever asks. It is a US document (although some include the list if 12 check boxes on the same sheet of paper as the application for the Tourist Card).

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 23, 2016 at 5:07 am
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Entry permit is more convenient and limited to tourist visit while visa can be broader. For tourism there is no advantage to getting a visa. Rules should be ok until late Jan Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the clarification. What will happen in late January?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Also, does anyone have any sample itineraries for educational/people to people exchanges category?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Jenbae918
What will happen in late January?

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ransition-team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.