Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allure of the Seas -- Mini TR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Allure of the Seas -- Mini TR

Just got back from a Seven Day Cruise on the Allure of the Seas. Went with my mother (70+) and my nephew (child). Bear in mind that I am in a wheelchair.

For all our varied needs, this ship worked.

The embarkation process was a bit of a mess. When we arrived, after going through security, we were shunted to the regular line, even though there were signs pointing to a separate area for wheelchair/disability embarkation. The line was too narrow for even my narrow transport wheelchair, and at one point, the elastic divider creating the queue snapped back, slapping me in the face. No one from RC came over to see if I was OK (I don't think anyone even noticed). Not an auspicious beginning to our cruise.

When we finally reached the check-in counter, passports and my CC in hand, our photographs were taken for our Sea Passes. We were given our Sea Passes, and I was told that everyone's account was tied to my CC. Sadly, this was not the case, and the next day, we had to go to Guest Relations, where someone had to track down my CC somewhere in the computer. Somehow, they had the CC info, but had not been been linked to our Sea Pass cards.

Finally, there was no one to help push me up onto the ship, and that is one long and steep gangway. Without assistance, we would still be in FLL. Fortunately, a fellow passenger was quick to see the problem, and pushed me up.

Honestly, if there is a next time, I think we will have to go for Suites Class, just for the service at embarkation.

Once on board, everything changed. We were in a D3 cabin (Superior Ocean View with Balcony). Cabin 12170 (wheelchair accessible). Quite comfortable for two adults and one child. Our cabin attendant was amazing. The views of the ocean were incredible. The cabin truly is wheelchair accessible. I was able to move about the cabin in my wheelchair, take a shower, and even move out onto the balcony and enjoy the view with my family. A real treat.

In fact, it seemed the whole ship was wheelchair accessible. More than that, the staff was incredibly helpful, helping me transfer from my wheelchair to chairs at the table at meals, then bringing the wheelchair back when we were done, wheeling me to the cafe at the spa when a service was completed, and generally treating me with warmth and appreciation.

As to food, it varied. Food in our main dining room, American Icon, was consistently good, rarely outstanding. Breakfast was consistent and it was nice to have the option of egg whites. Lunch had a tendency towards mediocrity. Dinners were good without ever really wowing. Service was generally very good.

On days we were in port, lunch was a buffet at the Windjammer Cafe, and this had all the quality and charm of a college dining hall. Lots and lots of bland food. For those who enjoy semi-cold pizza and pre-cooked burgers waiting for you under heating lamps, this is the place for you. We skipped it after trying it once, choosing instead to pay a small premium for places such as Johnny Rocket's (my nephew's favorite on board). There is also a hot dog place, next to Johnny Rocket's (Boardwalk). For freshly made pizza, there is a place on Deck 5.

Which leads me to the real fortes in food: the premium restaurants, all located in Central Park, all requiring paying a premium. We went to Chops Grille twice (a steakhouse). Excellent filet mignon, and their appetizers and sides are very nice. We also tried Giovanni's Table (Italian, obviously), and they have an excellent menu, too. Service at both is excellent. I sort of suspect that they count on a certain percentage of passengers eating at the premium restaurants each night. IMHO, it's worth it. (There is, by all accounts, a superb premium restaurant, 150 Central Park, or something like that, but the menu was a bit too rarefied for an 11 year old, so we did not try it).

There is lots to do on board. We are a family of -- ahem -- nerds, and enjoyed trivia at the Schooner Bar. It was a great way to meet people with similar interests, and the silly prizes (mostly lanyards and pens) are fun. The children's program gave my nephew the opportunity to meet other children in his age group, and provided him with interesting games to play. It also allowed my mother and me "free" time to spend at the spa and exploring the ship on our own. Speaking of children, there are Dreamworks characters walking around the ship, happy to have their picture snapped with your family (either by you or by one of the ship's photographers), but they did not feel like an overwhelming presence on the ship.

We all took a cupcake decorating class, which was much more fun (and much easier) than I expected it to be. Make reservations in advance, or try for a reservation on board. There are also pasta making classes at Giovanni's Table, and sushi making classes at Izumi, the sushi restaurant.

Shopportunities abound on board, from medium end (Coach, jewelry) to low end $10 ship-branded stuff. It's all there, and surely no one walks off without buying something.

Figure out how much you drink (and I am not just talking booze) before you board. If you drink a lot of sodas and bottled water, they charge for that. If you need your espressos and cappuccinos, they charge for that, too. Thus, a "refreshments" package may be just what you need. If, OTOH, you and your family do just fine with lemonade, regular coffee, and iced tea, and an espresso or Diet Coke is a once in a while treat, don't bother. Do the math before investing in the packages.

Excursions in Cozumel and Falmouth/Montego Bay were mediocre (to be precise they were not what the brochures described). This is something RC should work on. Labadee was beautiful.

Debarkation was much less stressful, although, once again, we asked if someone would help push the wheelchair down the gangway. We were told there would be. Then . . . nope. Fellow passengers assisted.

Overall, the ship is huge. Probably not for everyone. Definitely works if you are in a wheelchair. Excellent crew. Premium restaurants much better than basic. Needs to work out the kinks at embarkation/debarkation.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the review. I especially appreciate thewheelchair perspective. My family will be on Allure this spring with my brother who is in a wheelchair. Helpful to know some good and some headaches to be prepared for.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:53 am

Thanks for the detailed report. Was there a charge for the cupcake class or the pasta and sushi classes?
Did you see any of the shows and if so, how were they?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Thanks for the detailed report. Was there a charge for the cupcake class or the pasta and sushi classes?
Did you see any of the shows and if so, how were they?
You are most welcome.

There is a small fee for the cupcake, pasta, and sushi classes. You get to eat what you make (there is a lunch after the pasta class, for an extra fee).

We saw the ice show, which was quite good.

Each night, on Deck 5, there was decades themed dance party. I had a great time at the 80s party. My mother thoroughly enjoyed the 60s party, and everyone had a blast at the 70s party (who can resist disco?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.