Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Resident Booking Through UK Website?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

US Resident Booking Through UK Website?

So, I'm looking at an NCL cruise for next summer. If I check ncl's U.K. website prices are much better, taking into account the current exchange rates. The difference on the daily service charge alone is over $200 (14 day cruise for 4 people.) I am thinking about booking and paying in pounds in full. Alternatively, I'm wondering if U.K. travel agents offer the same kind of incentives and OBC that US travel agents do and whether I should try to book through one of them.

It looks as though there are a few differences between the terms and conditions when booking in the U.K. -- the most significant of which is that the deposit does not appear to be refundable if I'm reading it right. But the price difference may be significant enough to consider that.

Anyone ever done anything like this or otherwise have info?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if ncl's daily service charge isn't optional, I'd pass.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lkar
So, I'm looking at an NCL cruise for next summer. If I check ncl's U.K. website prices are much better, taking into account the current exchange rates. The difference on the daily service charge alone is over $200 (14 day cruise for 4 people.) I am thinking about booking and paying in pounds in full. Alternatively, I'm wondering if U.K. travel agents offer the same kind of incentives and OBC that US travel agents do and whether I should try to book through one of them.

It looks as though there are a few differences between the terms and conditions when booking in the U.K. -- the most significant of which is that the deposit does not appear to be refundable if I'm reading it right. But the price difference may be significant enough to consider that.

Anyone ever done anything like this or otherwise have info?
I've never seriously considered it since I have a great discount TA here in the US who gives me 10-12% cash discounts on our cruises. Have cruised a lot in the past four years with many British cruisers and they wish they could book with a US based TA as British TAs don't generally give discounts or include other incentives. Apparently there are some other restrictions on bookings that are in the favor of British TAs like non-refundable deposits that make booking through them distasteful.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I've never seriously considered it since I have a great discount TA here in the US who gives me 10-12% cash discounts on our cruises. Have cruised a lot in the past four years with many British cruisers and they wish they could book with a US based TA as British TAs don't generally give discounts or include other incentives. Apparently there are some other restrictions on bookings that are in the favor of British TAs like non-refundable deposits that make booking through them distasteful.
There's no reason why a UK traveller can't book an NCL cruise via a US agent. I do it all the time. I generally find that the Mediterranean cruises are cheaper booked in the UK and others booked in the US. We saved over £1,000 booking in the US for a South America cruise.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Cassie55
There's no reason why a UK traveller can't book an NCL cruise via a US agent. I do it all the time. I generally find that the Mediterranean cruises are cheaper booked in the UK and others booked in the US. We saved over £1,000 booking in the US for a South America cruise.
Certainly I'll take your word for it as I've only been told some Brits have trouble but I'll also say the vast majority were folks trying to book with Holland America and they may have different rules.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Certainly I'll take your word for it as I've only been told some Brits have trouble but I'll also say the vast majority were folks trying to book with Holland America and they may have different rules.
Yes, I know some cruiselines are stricter than others. NCL doesn't seem to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.