Wiki Posts
Search

Cruises - Extra Costs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by bigbuy
My last cruise had 29 ports in 32 days. Like "sonofzeus" said, different strokes
Wow - that sounds like me and my wife's sort of cruise - where was it may I ask, Ship/Cruise Line - etc please?

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Feb 24, 2015 at 5:12 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Wow - that s sounds like me and my wife's sort of cruise - where was it may I ask, Ship/Cruise Line - etc please?
Seabourn Sojourn 32 day Atlantic (hovered the west coast of Europe) and Mediterranean. I should have said it was my best cruise, not my last. But it was by far the most interesting cruise I have ever been on. The ports were great and there were many that I had never even heard of. I have not seen the exact same itinerary come up again.

Last edited by bigbuy; Feb 24, 2015 at 5:47 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by garethlewis
you don't have to pay any gratuities if you don't want to, with our cruise you delegate at the end of the itinerary when settling the drinks bill
Please, Please, Please pay gratuities if you're sailing on virtually all but the high end luxury cruises. Many first-timers and those from countries that don't normally tip don't realize the waiters, cabin stewards etc rely on their tips for a living, and working 14 hour days, for 6 - 8 months straight. They might only make $100 a month from the cruise line itself, so rely on tips. I always budget the tip amount first (many allow you to add this to your bill), but I still give above and beyond the amount at the end of the cruise as most of the crew truly deserve extra.

If you can afford it, pay for a balcony category if possible, if not a suite. These days balconies are not that much more than an inside/outside cabin and totally worth it. When I first started cruising I booked inside back in the late 80s, but I was traveling solo then, and balconies were not existent. Now suites are the norm for us, but a balcony would be great for the first time cruiser.

Don't try to bring alcohol on board. It's not worth the hassle, and many cruise lines offer drink packages today.

Happy Sailing!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Please, Please, Please pay gratuities if you're sailing on virtually all but the high end luxury cruises. Many first-timers and those from countries that don't normally tip don't realize the waiters, cabin stewards etc rely on their tips for a living, and working 14 hour days, for 6 - 8 months straight. !
FWIW, more like 10 months straight (with not a day's break) on some Carnival Corp lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.