Caribbean cruise Feb 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Wyndham Diamond, Bestwestern Diamond & Hyatt Platinum

Any recommendations on Caribbean cruise Feb 2015?

Want to leave from Florida for about 7 days.

Couple in fifties (my husband and I).

Help appreciated and first Caribbean cruise
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Half way around the world for no guaranteed sunshine, meh shopping,...?

Have you been to Milford Sound?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:10 am

I would recommend you first look at Princess, Holland America, and Celebrity. If you go to the Vacations to Go website (http://www.vacationstogo.com) and register using an email address you can use their search function to learn more.

Are you aware of Cruise Critic? http://www.cruisecritic.com There are many reviews of ships and ports.

If you wouldn't mind taking a short flight to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, or St Martin you could pick up a higher end line on smaller ships such as SeaDream, Windstar, and Seabourn.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:02 am

Avoid the week of President's day (Feb 16th through 20th). There's enough schools off that ships tend to have a *lot* more kids on them. (Speaking as someone that has no choice because his wife is a teacher, so we're *always* taking cruises during the high-kid, high-price time periods).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:46 am

I have heard of Royal Caribbean, I guess you should look at their website as well.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would recommend an Eastern Caribbean route versus Western Caribbean. I would also consider a Southern Caribbean route (over a Western), but positioning might be a tad more expensive since most Southern Caribbean cruises start in San Juan.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
What do you enjoy doing? Casual or more formal? What types of hotels do you prefer to use?

Definitely avoid the week the week including the 3rd Monday in February as most ships will be crowded (and usually those cruises are more expensive, if not already completely booked).

Is there a reason you isolate yourself to cruises from Florida? Will you already be in Florida? Otherwise I second the suggestion to cruise out of San Juan instead of Florida. More choices of islands, guaranteed warm start to the cruise (unlike February in Florida).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Wyndham Diamond, Bestwestern Diamond & Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by wrp96
What do you enjoy doing? Casual or more formal? What types of hotels do you prefer to use?

Definitely avoid the week the week including the 3rd Monday in February as most ships will be crowded (and usually those cruises are more expensive, if not already completely booked).

Is there a reason you isolate yourself to cruises from Florida? Will you already be in Florida? Otherwise I second the suggestion to cruise out of San Juan instead of Florida. More choices of islands, guaranteed warm start to the cruise (unlike February in Florida).
All the posts have been helpful - thank you.

Enjoy relaxing, having a drink in casual environment. Hilton Gold/ Accor Plat.. Prefer Fri. 20 Feb. Cruise and San Juan is possible - travelling from Atlanta. Any hotels recommended in San Juan? Have to be in NY on 27/2.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Stacycrow
All the posts have been helpful - thank you.

Enjoy relaxing, having a drink in casual environment. Hilton Gold/ Accor Plat.. Prefer Fri. 20 Feb. Cruise and San Juan is possible - travelling from Atlanta. Any hotels recommended in San Juan? Have to be in NY on 27/2.
Of the lines that sail out of San Juan, I would recommend Celebrity or Royal Caribbean over Carnival, although Carnival would be a lovely vacation too.

For hotels in San Juan, I've been staying at boutique hotels this year. La Terraza de San Juan is in the middle of Old San Juan. Rooftop bar area is really relaxing. Building is 200+ years old but completely updated inside, including (slow) elevators. In Condado about half a block from the beach is Acacia Boutique Hotel. It was really lovely and beautiful. Best mojito I had in San Juan this year at their restaurant/bar Niche. We were originally booked at Acacia's sister hotel, Windchimes, which I wouldn't recommend. If you want a chain hotel, the Marriot Stellaris comes highly recommended from friends. I've also stayed at the Intercontinental - great beach area, and the Sheraton Old San Juan, just okay, as you have to walk uphill to get to everything in OSJ, but great if you are sailing Carnival as the pier is literally directly across the street.

Closest hotels to the pier Royal Caribbean and Celebrity use are the Sheraton Convention Center and then there are two new Hyatt affiliated hotels being built, I know one was a Hyatt Place and I can't remember the other one. I would only stay at any of these if you were coming in the night before the cruise and had no time to do anything. Otherwise stay either in Old San Juan (sightseeing & nightlife) or Condado (beach and nightlife).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:44 pm

We stayed at Villa Herencia http://www.villaherencia.com about four years ago and liked it. It is tiny and very much in the Spanish colonial style. It was very easy to get out and walk around the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.