Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Which online travel agencies honor Price Drops? CruisesOnly, BJs Travel, etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I typically book cruises directly so I maintain control of the booking--and so can call and have the cruise line honor any price drops I may notice. I've had success here booking directly with Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival.

I asked BJs Warehouse Travel department if they'd honor price drops and they were a bit evasive about it--that it depended on the Booking Code (I believe was the term). That if you got in at a lower price, you may not qualify for a price drop (in terms of OBC or a cabin upgrade). Not the answer I wanted to hear.

I'm looking at CruisesOnly.com--anyone have experience with them? Whether they'll honor price drops if asked? And what their cancellation policy is? Believe it's a $75 fee to cancel, separate from any given cruise line's own cancellation policy (I'm well aware of those policies). BJs also charges a $25 up front fee just to make the booking; plus a $75 cancellation fee of their own.

Are there any other large online cruise travel agencies I should consider who will honor price drops, not charge huge cancellation fees, etc?

I prefer *not* going with CruiseCompete.com--because I suspect the vendors who make offers are the Small Fry travel agencies trying to earn new business. However, if CruiseCompete respondents sometimes include the large, likely-to-remain solvent, big name online travel agencies, then I'd consider giving it a try

But again, there's the rub--a low bidder may have no incentive to honor price drops. And I'd have to research that... I have no local travel agent anyone would recommend to me. In fact, don't know anyone who still uses traditional travel agencies. I myself always arrange everything. But looking at a potential cost / perk advantage (e.g. onboard credit).

BJs seems to offer BJ's specific gift cards as a perk. I'd rather have cruise line OBC. Really just Mental Accounting--but feels / seems more fun to be spending, while on ship, on House Money. :-) Not a gambler, but like the term.

Anyway, would be interested in knowing which online travel agencies savvy FTs use for booking cruises when not booking direct with the cruise line, and why you book with them. For me, I want the low price and perks, but also love having control over my booking--so I'm guaranteed of having the cruise line honor price drops. It's fun to watch the ebb and flow of cabin prices.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Ended up going with CruisesOnly.com. They've been operating for decades, had a great price that beat the Cruise Line's direct booking price, and got some small perks. Even if they don't honor price drops--seems that they might--the price I got is almost like getting several price drops from the price I'd have gotten had I booked directly with the cruise line.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OBC isn't house money.

It's your money to spend on overpriced goods/services sold by the cruiseline or withdraw through known/tested methods to save/spend elsewhere.

I like to maintain control before and during the cruise.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
There are a lot of travel agents that will not honor price drops as its lost commission for them.

If there is a price drop before final payment and your travel agent would not honor it, cancel the cruise (as long as the agency does not have an internal cancellation fee) and work with a travel agent that will do price drops.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:37 pm

There are big guys that play in the Cruise Compete reverse auctions. Don't be too quick to write them off.

ETA: I have had success in getting price drops, after booking with a Cruise Compete agency. But it lower fare may result in lowered perqs from the TA. Still netted out as a saving to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.