Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Cruise for 88 year old....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Now that sounds like an idea!

He did like the helicopter ride in Hawaii and he loves dogs... hmmm...

Steve

Originally Posted by sarahlee
Backdoc - Some people might not even think this for your dad... but I did this with my grandfather in his 80s with macular degeneration as well and he had a blast.

Helicopter ride with the dog sledding.

Although he couldn't see much from the helicopter, just being in it as well as stepping onto the glacier, getting to sit in a sled that the dog was pulling, as well as getting to meet/pet the dogs - that was one of his favorite things. It's very "Alaska". No one imagined he'd have such a great time with it (We booked it because of others on the trip) but it was one of his favorites and I'd recommend it to others who might not have the sight.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I am 72 wife is 50 have a full head of hair, and can out work most people,

Get a life, go to Homer and Soldotna fishing every year, get a life

Alaska is cool at any age,

Got to love Homer Split.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Well I recommend Norwegian Cruise Line.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...ug-2014-a.html
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS
Holland America is definitely better for older cruisers to Alaska. Princess tends to have very large ships (with the exception of the Pacific Princess), and Celebrity/NCL are in the middle of the road. I would suggest to try the Statendam if you want a 7 day cruise with air, or the Volendam, which is a 7 day round trip from Vancouver.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by garrym
September cruising means potential weather issues.
That is the warning we got a few years ago, but we went anyway. Turned out that for that particular year, the best weather all year was in September---absolutely perfect, so go for it!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by 747FC
That is the warning we got a few years ago, but we went anyway. Turned out that for that particular year, the best weather all year was in September---absolutely perfect, so go for it!
We have Septembers that are pretty dreary sometimes, but in the last few years or so, they have been pretty nice extensions of the summer for sure.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The thing with Alaska is weather can be variable and change from hour to hour, much less from day to day. I look back at one of the years I cruised. Everyone said it was terrible weather all summer - and overall it was. Except that the week we cruised it was sunny and clear (late May), with temps in the upper 80s. The rest of the summer it was 40s and rainy almost every day.

Go prepared for anything and you'll be able to enjoy yourself no matter what. That's the beauty of Alaska - no matter the weather there is something wonderful and different waiting to show itself to you.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Tour Choice
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
You want to look at round-trip cruises beginning and ending in Vancouver BC, not Seattle. The Seattle boats travel on open ocean to the west of Vancouver Island, considerably rougher than the Vancouver boats that travel on sheltered waters to the east, and with better scenery. Look for an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.
Seconding this; Vancouver to Alaska often travel through the Strait of Georgia, which is quite calm.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
The thing with Alaska is weather can be variable and change from hour to hour, much less from day to day. I look back at one of the years I cruised. Everyone said it was terrible weather all summer - and overall it was. Except that the week we cruised it was sunny and clear (late May), with temps in the upper 80s. The rest of the summer it was 40s and rainy almost every day.

Go prepared for anything and you'll be able to enjoy yourself no matter what. That's the beauty of Alaska - no matter the weather there is something wonderful and different waiting to show itself to you.
The last two summers here in Juneau have been complete opposites– 2013 was one of the sunniest and warmest in recent history, while 2014 has so far been one of the rainiest.

But as wrp96 said, Alaska is beautiful in any weather. The glaciers in particular are prettier on cloudy days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.