Help a clueless newbie on selecting a cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:56 pm

I believe in booking within 90 days unless you are going holiday or spring break. I have actually booked for spring break 2015 already as those are guarantee high price sell outs.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
This may have already been mentioned since I have seen several posts talking about the "90 day" period, but there is an advantage and a disadvantage to waiting until that period is up. Yes, if there are still staterooms available after that date most lines will discount the remaining inventory, sometimes heavily. However, that unsold inventory may not be the type of cabin that you want or in a good location. If you have your heart set on an outside room (with a window), or a verandah, you may find that only inside rooms are available. Or, your outside or verandah room may be in an undesirable location, the room might be above engines that vibrate, be below the jogging track, the promenade deck, or the disco, nightclub, or performing arts theater. The room location or type may not be an issue for a lot of people since they say they don't spend a lot of time in their rooms. However, we do enjoy spending about 50% of our time on sea days on our verandah. so for us location is an issue. Admittedly, we tend to book higher end suites on mass market lines, or cruise on (true) luxury ships which makes private verandahs even more enticing.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Randeman
This may have already been mentioned since I have seen several posts talking about the "90 day" period, but there is an advantage and a disadvantage to waiting until that period is up. Yes, if there are still staterooms available after that date most lines will discount the remaining inventory, sometimes heavily. However, that unsold inventory may not be the type of cabin that you want or in a good location. If you have your heart set on an outside room (with a window), or a verandah, you may find that only inside rooms are available. Or, your outside or verandah room may be in an undesirable location, the room might be above engines that vibrate, be below the jogging track, the promenade deck, or the disco, nightclub, or performing arts theater. The room location or type may not be an issue for a lot of people since they say they don't spend a lot of time in their rooms. However, we do enjoy spending about 50% of our time on sea days on our verandah. so for us location is an issue. Admittedly, we tend to book higher end suites on mass market lines, or cruise on (true) luxury ships which makes private verandahs even more enticing.
Good points. If selective about specific cabin, it's probably a good idea to book as early as possible to have more choice of cabin.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:36 pm

I booked my 6/19/14 cruise when I was at seas on my 3/31/13 cruise. I wanted a good cabin (two actually) and RCCL got us connected cabins center ship.
I tracked the fare as another site I am on posted about discounts.
I save 15% by calling RCCL back for the new rate without changing cabins. Plus, they put some notes in the reservation to celebrate my son's graduation. They also got me in the upscale restaurant at the time we wanted. With the savings we upgraded to a cabana on the beach.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Can anybody recommend a good Cruise agent around PA area? I tried to phone a few agents and ask about information I've received here, and they keep insisting I got bad information and I had to pay premium, etc.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:59 pm

Try Kathy Doyle at Travel Leaders. Her contact info is:
email: [email protected]
telephone: 1-800-322-7720 ext. 6207
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Deals are always out there, especially after the date of the final payment for the cruise as someone has noted before. As for cities with best prices, it varies week to week although some ports are notoriously cheap (MSY for one). Have always gotten great deals out of FLL/MIA, and the choice of ships is huge.

It's also quite possible to get deals during spring break. I just booked the Celebrity Constellation next month for $44/night during the height of spring break.

Personally, I use the VTG site as I think their search engine is the most powerful.

For mid-tier priced cruise lines, they are remarkably similar, but as noted before, cater to different demographics. Try them all......

What does count is to concentrate your cruising with one cruise line to maximize your benefits and perks.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:47 pm

Spring cruises==last minute

I found these last minute cruise specials for spring:

http://www.cruisedeals.com/last-minu...ign=lastminute

I dont like VTG because you cannot book on their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.