Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Cruise Jun-Aug 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OK cruise booked.
Norwegian Sun - Whittier -Vancouver Jun 30th -July 7th.
Booked flights yesterday - used DL Skymiles - MCI-SLC-SEA-ANC then YVR-MSP-MCI.
So just hotel and transfer to book now.
I tried (on hold for an hour) with NCL- They said I had to go via the Travel Company I booked the cruise with -Delta Cruises. I was on hold with them for 45 minutes. Finally told it would be $199each for the hotel and 55$ each for the transfer. SEEMS EXHORBITANT TO ME.

Any ideas?
this site walktomycruiseship is very helpful for the Vancouver end of your trip.

i've had good luck using the train from Whittier to Anchorage, though i cannot remember the pricing 4yrs ago. 2 yrs ago, i found a local bus transfer company, that also stopped at a wildlife preserve on the way from port to town, that had pre season discounts which ended up costing around $25-ish a person.

this site anchorage.cruise-transfers-ports-near-anchorage can also help.

i love going to Alaska, and hate having to rely on the cruise lines and their fees to do it. echoing the sentiments of cruise critic being a great resource on how to do things on your own for the best value.

about the hotel: yeah they can be pricy during high season. hotel points can offset the cost but sometimes those are even high. i'd check your hotel chain of choice, then see if there are any B&Bs out there for better. YMMV

Last edited by Blue Skye; Mar 3, 2014 at 12:58 pm Reason: added hotel comment
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Update - it cost me 50000 Hilton Honors points but got in a at the Hilton downtown.

Then used and got a guided tour ANC-Whittier for 45$ each - excellent - I am very happy.

http://www.whittiershuttle.com/

Not sure of the transfer at the Vancouver end but there is an option of getting off the cruise ship and doing a two hour city tour and they drop you off at the airport - so sounds excellent.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

OK cruise booked.
I tried (on hold for an hour) with NCL- They said I had to go via the Travel Company I booked the cruise with -Delta Cruises. I was on hold with them for 45 minutes. Finally told it would be $199each for the hotel and 55$ each for the transfer. SEEMS EXHORBITANT TO ME.

Any ideas?
I used this company for my transfer from Whittier to ANC in June 2013, and they were punctual and pleasant.

http://www.akcruiseshuttle.com/

It looks like their price is $28.

I took the longer "tour" which included a stop at a Wildlife Center. The mosquitos were so thick you could barely walk, and most people didn't get out of the small bus. We also stopped at a spot on Turnagain Arm, a nice little break to stretch your legs.

The small buses don't have a bathroom, if that makes a difference to you on a 90 minute trip.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Not sure of the transfer at the Vancouver end but there is an option of getting off the cruise ship and doing a two hour city tour and they drop you off at the airport - so sounds excellent.
It is very easy to take the train from the port area directly to the airport in Vancouver. It is about a 4 block walk to the station from your ship. Use the Canada Line.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from...portation.aspx
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
OK cruise booked.

Any ideas?
We travelled on the Norwegian Sun. Good ship and good time had. Did return from Vancouver to Glacier Bay. Our ship docked at Canada Place. The tour/transfer sounds like a good plan. Where do you stop on the cruise?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Where do you stop on the cruise?
Mon Whittier ---- 9:00 pm
Tue Cruise Hubbard Glacier ---- ----
Wed Icy Strait Point 9:00 am 5:00 pm
Thu Juneau 7:00 am 1:15 pm
Cruise Inside Passage
Fri Skagway 7:00 am 5:00 pm
Sat Ketchikan 1:00 pm 8:00 pm
Sun Cruise Inside Passage ---- ----
Mon Vancouver, Canada 8:00 am ----
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May have to do a TR - wonderful cruise.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:29 am

I took this cruise a few years ago. Had a great time, beautiful sights to see and most delicious sea food. The crab dish is a must have.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Member

I'm looking for an ulta-luxe small-ship Alaskan cruise for August 2015. My goal is to score a large suite/room with balcony. I've poked around a bit on the internet but most ships seem very large. Not interested in expedition trips (rooms too small). I know it will cost beaucoup bucks and that's OK. Prefer an informal atmosphere; not dressing to the nines for dinner. What say you?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone here done http://www.un-cruise.com/ ?

42 cabin endeavour (Cruise West > American Safari Cruises/Innersea/Uncruise )
18 cabin explorer (American Safari Cruises > Innersea/Uncruise)
11 cabin quest (American Safari Cruises > Innersea/Uncruise)

i had forgotten that current owner did 14 years with Cruise West before moving to American Safari Cruises in 1999, which he then acquired in 2008.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by KatW
I'm looking for an ulta-luxe small-ship Alaskan cruise for August 2015. My goal is to score a large suite/room with balcony. I've poked around a bit on the internet but most ships seem very large. Not interested in expedition trips (rooms too small). I know it will cost beaucoup bucks and that's OK. Prefer an informal atmosphere; not dressing to the nines for dinner. What say you?
AFAIK, it does not exist. You could charter something, but there goes the balcony. Silversea, but that is not ultra-luxe.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hedoman, what have you heard about american safari (now uncruise) ?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I've seen some of their boats in Alaska and California. Looks like fun, but nothing to do with luxe.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hedoman
I've seen some of their boats in Alaska and California. Looks like fun, but nothing to do with luxe.
what cruiselines do you put at the top again? are you talking hard product here?

american safari / innersea marketed "safari" yachts as luxury, vs their other yachts
interesting they still have them color coded, but no longer "luxury" on website
seems dropping that / doing "uncruise" for all yachts is simplifying marketing

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 8, 2014 at 1:42 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Indeed, American Safari and UnCruise not luxury. Cabin selection is minimal and all much too small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.