National Cruise Week (Oct 17~23): What is this? Good Deals?

Subscribe
Hello FTers, I was reading up on travel news and saw that CLIA is marketing a "National Cruise Week" for October 17-23. It seems like a sponsored marketing gimmick, but I wanted to ask the experienced travelers here on FT if anyone has had good experiences, seen good deals, etc. related to it.

Link: http://cruising.org/vacation/plan-yo...ek-information
the link has a list of deals.....did anything there float your boat?

i wonder if any line would take a booking 2 days before sailing?.....current red tape might preclude it....
Quote: It seems like a sponsored marketing gimmick
And sometimes things are as they appear.

This IMHO is an annual October CLIA marketing exercise, not as much a stupendous sale with blockbuster savings.
Yeah, this "sale" is more of a marketing thing then an actual sale. You can shop the various lines and compare, and check out sites like cruise.com if you want to get the lowdown.
For the most part, the concept of cruise "sales" is nothing but a gimick to get you to put down that deposit. There are some deals here, but they are limited to certain lines, etc. It's not unlike the other sales other lines offer at regular basis, one of those on the list was just offered a couple weeks ago by the line for example.

Cruising it not like buying a TV or a plane ticket. In most cases, if the price drops after you book the cruise, you will pay the lower price (if you or your TA stay on top of it). You don't need to wait for a sale to book, just find a price you like, book it, and if the price drops take advantage of the drop, if it doesn't, you booked a price you liked anyways.

If you wait too long to save the $100 or so the cabin class you want may not be available, or the cruise may sell out.
Quote: For the most part, the concept of cruise "sales" is nothing but a gimick to get you to put down that deposit. There are some deals here, but they are limited to certain lines, etc. It's not unlike the other sales other lines offer at regular basis, one of those on the list was just offered a couple weeks ago by the line for example.

Cruising it not like buying a TV or a plane ticket. In most cases, if the price drops after you book the cruise, you will pay the lower price (if you or your TA stay on top of it). You don't need to wait for a sale to book, just find a price you like, book it, and if the price drops take advantage of the drop, if it doesn't, you booked a price you liked anyways.

If you wait too long to save the $100 or so the cabin class you want may not be available, or the cruise may sell out.
Thank you for this, I've been holding out on booking an upcoming cruise for the exact reason of "what if a better price comes along".

So the consensus seems to be that this so-called "Cruise Week" is not like retail's once-a-year sales bonanzas Black Friday or after-Xmas liquidation where almost everything is discounted or extra perks added. Thanks FTers! ^