Budget Antarctica Cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Holy 5 year bump. Welcome to Flyertalk.

I'm pretty sure the OP is long gone.

Last Activity: Mar 23, 11 6:07 pm
LOL. No use for the OP but someone else might find this useful. HAL does 20 night trips Valparaiso-Buenos Aries and vv, three days at the Antarctic Peninsula and one day at the Falklands. An interior cabin booked months in advance was US $3500, a couple weeks out you could get it for $2700 IIRC.

I had thought the 1400 people and no zodiacs would be bummers, but that turned out to be trivial. It was the best whale trip ever according to the naturalists on board, seven species and over 200 individuals. Wandering Albatross was a highlight of a fantastic trip.

For a third the cost of the expedition ships it was a really good trip!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'best' seems to be small ship exterior double for ~$5K per couple (~50% off $10K)
cheapest is not that much cheaper for sharing room/bathrooms with strangers
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
'best' seems to be small ship exterior double for ~$5K per couple (~50% off $10K)
cheapest is not that much cheaper for sharing room/bathrooms with strangers
It is on my bucket list and I will be budgeting $10K. ^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
It is on my bucket list and I will be budgeting $10K. ^
how much different between using abercombie and kent antartica cruise than book directly with cruiseline?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:28 pm

As a travel agent I get specials from time to time on affordable Antarctic and Arctic expedition cruises. Generally you have 30 to 60 days notice before the sailing date. They are often on undersold cruises and sold through agents who have clients who can turn it around quickly. Only do an expedition sized ship of around 100 passengers so you can actually get off on the continent and explore. The big cruise lines have so relatively cheap cruises but you might only get off once - the rest of the trip is seeing icebergs and the continent from the ship. Nothing beats seeing a penguin rookery of 20,000 of these incredible birds at your feet! PM and I will contact you when something comes up.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:32 pm

Book your trip through an agent who can honestly sell you the best for what you want to do - and offer options that work for you. It costs you no more to go through an agent than to book direct. An agent gives them more business than you do and can often get better deals, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:37 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
We're booked on an 14 day Buenos Aires - Antarctica cruise on Celebrity next February. At 1 year out the cruise is sold out. Once every few days a cabin is cancelled and back on the market again for a few hours and at very high price. Best seems to be to book very early - we booked at more than 2 years out and many good cabins had already been reserved. At 2 years out a inside cabin could have been booked for ~ 1500 $ p.P., now if one pops up its more then 3.000 $ p.P.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
We're booked on an 14 day Buenos Aires - Antarctica cruise on Celebrity next February. At 1 year out the cruise is sold out. Once every few days a cabin is cancelled and back on the market again for a few hours and at very high price. Best seems to be to book very early - we booked at more than 2 years out and many good cabins had already been reserved. At 2 years out a inside cabin could have been booked for ~ 1500 $ p.P., now if one pops up its more then 3.000 $ p.P.
i saw mention of $5K per couple exterior on small ship
i think biggest name cruiselines can have a premium
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by 360worldatlas
As a travel agent I get specials from time to time on affordable Antarctic and Arctic expedition cruises. Generally you have 30 to 60 days notice before the sailing date. They are often on undersold cruises and sold through agents who have clients who can turn it around quickly. Only do an expedition sized ship of around 100 passengers so you can actually get off on the continent and explore. The big cruise lines have so relatively cheap cruises but you might only get off once - the rest of the trip is seeing icebergs and the continent from the ship. Nothing beats seeing a penguin rookery of 20,000 of these incredible birds at your feet! PM and I will contact you when something comes up.
Whoa! First post! Welcome to FlyerTalk. Feel free to share more.

Please and thank you.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Where did you book it? The most common price I see is 6000-8000 p.p. And it is common to reach 15000 p.p. if it is >15 days.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you would be ok with it, look for companies besides the 'biggest names'

some cruises you fly to antarctica first, not sure if they have deals or not
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
if you would be ok with it, look for companies besides the 'biggest names'

some cruises you fly to antarctica first, not sure if they have deals or not
Where did you find those companies? I checked wikitravel and the price seems to be similar. But I guess they are just "big names" anyway.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
some cruises you fly to antarctica first,
On a twin Otter?

(now I'm curious - are "civilians" actually able to fly and land on Antarctica? I never thought that was possible)
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
(now I'm curious - are "civilians" actually able to fly and land on Antarctica? I never thought that was possible)
There are two ways that civilians can fly to Antarctica:

1. Cruise. There are cruises that start from there, and one flies there to meet the boat. Sorry, can't remember the line.

2. Employment. Get a job helping to service one of the research stations. Everything from cook to electrician to custodian to scientist.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by 747FC
1. Cruise. There are cruises that start from there, and one flies there to meet the boat. Sorry, can't remember the line.
This I was unaware of. Interesting!
2. Employment. Get a job helping to service one of the research stations. Everything from cook to electrician to custodian to scientist.
I don't consider this to be "civilians" - they're employees at the research stations, so....They're there intentionally - they didn't just catch a plane/train/automobile and go for the heck of it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.