Wiki Posts
Search

Smuggling booze on a cruise.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
We've thought about it but it isn't that great a deal at least for some of the cheaper cruise lines (Holland America and Princess in our case). We thought the fares they were selling the future cruises (adjustable until final payment, mind you) were a bit too much.
With NCL, you give them a $500 deposit while on board and I think you get $100 OBC. Then you have 4 years to book a specific ship/itinerary. You're not locked into a particular rate until you book it. I wish I'd done it last month as I'm about to book with them again and I could have used the $100 to apply to my bar tab.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
With NCL, you give them a $500 deposit while on board and I think you get $100 OBC. Then you have 4 years to book a specific ship/itinerary. You're not locked into a particular rate until you book it. I wish I'd done it last month as I'm about to book with them again and I could have used the $100 to apply to my bar tab.
I don't think we're loyal enough, and too cheap, to put a deposit down. With the categories we book, it's only $25-35 for a short cruise and $50-75 for longer ones. We can get at least that much back from discount agents booking inside final payment window.

Our next two cruises will be interesting. Price is a flat €100 pp pd but that does not include gratuities paid to the single steward. Scheduled non-stop for the first and 1 stop for the other. Cabin of over 300 s.f. with windows of course but no balcony/verandah cabins. Complimentary wine for lunch and dinner (this alone is worth $30 pp pd to us) and selection of soft drinks and juices available 24/7. Even has a real duty-free shop and you can drink your purchases onboard.

It doesn't have to be but the cruises will also serve as our intercontinental transportation.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I don't think we're loyal enough, and too cheap, to put a deposit down. With the categories we book, it's only $25-35 for a short cruise and $50-75 for longer ones. We can get at least that much back from discount agents booking inside final payment window.
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that you could assign the deposit to your TA and get a better deal than working directly with the cruise line. NCL wants the commitment at the cost of the full profit.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
About 10 year ago for my friends bachelor party we emptied bottles of white wine, filled them with clear/yellow alcohol, and recorked them. Very easy and not a question asked.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
BamaVol F Y I. I have put down $100 PP on a future TBD cruises on Celibrity and Royal C.

It just " gave" $200 as SBC !

I have always done this.

When you see something you like on adeal, book with cruisenline's, the FCC works as your deposit. I then shop around with major agencies and also ask my regular TA if he can match or improve. Usually he can. Then you authorize him in writing to drag the deposit and booking to his agency . Simple. You can write to me for more....I promise not to misunderstand.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
We have used Rumrunners in the past. On one cruise I assumed some of them would be picked up so I packed a bit heavy. Nothing ended up being caught, so we had Rum, Scotch, Brandy, and Grand Mariner for the trip. Very easy, just go to a liquor store between the airport and the ship port and buy what you like, then fill the runners and throw away the bottles.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by flyboy_421
We have used Rumrunners in the past. On one cruise I assumed some of them would be picked up so I packed a bit heavy. Nothing ended up being caught, so we had Rum, Scotch, Brandy, and Grand Mariner for the trip. Very easy, just go to a liquor store between the airport and the ship port and buy what you like, then fill the runners and throw away the bottles.
I haven't heard of these "rumrunners", but I wonder if small airline sized bottles of liquor could be concealed in a "prison wallet".

Last edited by DaveBlaine; Jul 6, 2015 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I haven't head of these "rumrunners", but I wonder if small airline sized bottles of liquor could be concealed in a "prison wallet".
The rumrunner appears to be a plastic bladder that could be concealed under the clothing. If it showed up under an x-ray, I suppose you could claim it was an ostomy bag. Your suggestion sounds a bit uncomfortable. I would hesitate to both smuggle and consume those bottles.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
The rumrunner appears to be a plastic bladder that could be concealed under the clothing. If it showed up under an x-ray, I suppose you could claim it was an ostomy bag. Your suggestion sounds a bit uncomfortable. I would hesitate to both smuggle and consume those bottles.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Cheers! program on Carnival Cruise lines?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Does anyone have any recent experience with the Cheers! program on Carnival Cruise lines?
Holland America, another line under the larger Carnival Corp umbrella, has a similar program which I've tried. Cost $49.95 per person per day and must be purchased for the entire length of the cruise. As I recall is limited to 15 drinks a day which actually is pretty good. Liquor is not top drawer but not well liquor either. They watch ordering carefully so that one person doesn't try to buy drinks to share say with a spouse, friend, etc.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
They watch ordering carefully so that one person doesn't try to buy drinks to share say with a spouse, friend, etc.
Data point: In my cruise with HAL this past year, I never thought that the staff was watching me carefully. Maybe because most of them got to know my wife and I and knew we both had the card (although often we just pulled one for purchase).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Data point: In my cruise with HAL this past year, I never thought that the staff was watching me carefully. Maybe because most of them got to know my wife and I and knew we both had the card (although often we just pulled one for purchase).
Actually that was our experience but watched a couple sailing with friends try to game the system and got caught. Passenger got a bit hot and bothered about being charged for the drinks for his friends so an officer was called to the bar. It apparently escalated to the point where the whole group went off to the front office for a further discussion out of a public area. Invariably there's always one who tries to test the boundaries.

Last edited by Randyk47; Dec 2, 2015 at 7:06 am
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Believe on HAL that the drink package must also be purchased for everyone in the cabin (to eliminate some of the "sharing" issues that could otherwise arise)
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Believe on HAL that the drink package must also be purchased for everyone in the cabin (to eliminate some of the "sharing" issues that could otherwise arise)
Yes and I believe Carnival has the same policy. Sharing within a cabin becomes a non-issue and as 747FC pointed out the waitstaff usually figures that out quickly. The crew is there to provide friendly and responsive service not to police passenger behavior but some guests push the envelope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.