Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CruiseCompete - Online Travel Agents

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Many websites offer the ability to do a direct widthdrawal from your bank account, it's usually built into the merchant software. I would guess that many sites that do not offer it have had to turn that feature off.

They get charged way less usually then credit cards, so they tend to push it.

I agree though, I would never do it, but they are really hoping more and more people do. From Amazon for example:

Amazon.com benefits as well when customers pay using their checking accounts. When compared to credit cards, our costs are lower when customers pay directly from their checking accounts. As more customers pay directly from their checking accounts, we'll be able to pass along the savings to customers in the form of lower prices.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by tcook052
MHO, and it is naturally biased being a TA, is that finding a good local agent with lots of experience can add another dimension and level of knowledge and expertise to what even a veteran cruiser brings to the process and to me this is worth a small premium.
Another biased TA here , but I'd add that a "local" TA may not be just local to you. With the internet, a "local" TA may have a national and international presence. Many are affiliated with large national companies so you can check reputation and stability. You can deal with an individual, experienced, true TA online and by phone, even if you're not local. You're not restricted to just call center agencies when you're looking for booking assistance and price competition.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Best undiscounted price, you mean. Did you ask any local TA's whether they would match a discounted online price when you were obtainging quotes?
Yes.. I called around to 5 different local TA's. A couple would not match online prices at all. A few asked me what my lowest online price was, and lowered their quote, but still could not come close to matching it. The lowest local TA quote was still $1400 more than the quote I went with.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Yes.. I called around to 5 different local TA's. A couple would not match online prices at all. A few asked me what my lowest online price was, and lowered their quote, but still could not come close to matching it. The lowest local TA quote was still $1400 more than the quote I went with.
If a local TA has a brick & Motar store to maintain, that costs. Many online TAs don't have that. They don't have a storefront, to deal with walk ins, displays of brochures, etc. They can have agents working from home, or their offices in a rural warehouse.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for the input, though gotta say that number makes me curious because unless you're booking a penthouse suite on a 150 day Cunard world cruise no TA commission would even approach that amount so it must be some combination of a lower, possibly group, price plus a rebating of the commission to get to that amount. 95% of the time as a TA I can match the online guys and if it means getting something rather than nothing will usually do it.

At any rate I hope from here on it it is smooth sailing for you.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Tcook052 & BurBunny....

As a former TA that worked in a storefront agency at the corner of 1st & Main in Anywhere, USA, I can and do understand your justified bias probably better than you think!

I think the bottom line of this discussion is that you'll find good and not-so-good agents on both side of the fence ("Internet" vs brick and mortar).

As to the brick & mortar vs Internet debate, I personally know of two different TAs who have switched from storefront to "at home" operations. There was a time when their client base was predominately local customers, however that eventually changed to become a base that stretches all over the US and Canada. It no longer made sense to pay rent for storefront property, especially when 95% of their customer contact was now being done via phone, email & fax. So by their switch from storefront to home operation, should they rightfully have to bear the stigma that goes along with being labeled an Internet agency?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:34 am

Thanks for the input, though gotta say that number makes me curious because unless you're booking a penthouse suite on a 150 day Cunard world cruise no TA commission would even approach that amount so it must be some combination of a lower, possibly group, price plus a rebating of the commission to get to that amount. 95% of the time as a TA I can match the online guys and if it means getting something rather than nothing will usually do it.

At any rate I hope from here on it it is smooth sailing for you.
Some friends of mine last week used CruiseCompete for the first time to obtain quotes. They were looking at a 19 day sailing on Crystal in a non-suite category. The quotes they received varied by as much as $1,000 between the lowest & highest. (As a side note, the lowest quote was from an agent who still maintains a storefront agency in addition to networking via CruiseCompete.)

So OfficeGlenn's $1400 savings doesn't seem to me to be too far out of line. $1400 savings could also be easily obtainable if someone was buying more than just one stateroom, like for a family cruise or something along those lines...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
CruiseCompete saved us $500 each off the normal price of our Panama Canal cruise for 2011. I just noticed it's gone up by $100 for new bookings. Best Price Cruises had the best price and a B+ rating on the BBB so I figured they were safe enough.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by BEAV
$1400 savings could also be easily obtainable if someone was buying more than just one stateroom, like for a family cruise or something along those lines...
Nope, OP only travelling with one other person: (my bold)

I will be saving approximately $700 per person ($1400 total)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:06 am

Nope, OP only travelling with one other person: (my bold)
Just so there's no misunderstanding, I wasn't insinuating that OfficeGlenn had in fact purchased more than one cabin to obtain a $1400 savings. But rather anyone could easily obtain that savings even if they were on something as short as a 7 day cruise booking multiple staterooms.

I am basically trying to refute what I believe to be an exaggeration that a $1400 savings can only be obtained by booking something extravagant like a World cruise in a suite. (see below)

Thanks for the input, though gotta say that number ($1400) makes me curious because unless you're booking a penthouse suite on a 150 day Cunard world cruise no TA commission would even approach that amount so it must be some combination of a lower, possibly group, price plus a rebating of the commission to get to that amount.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by BEAV
Just so there's no misunderstanding, I wasn't insinuating that OfficeGlenn had in fact purchased more than one cabin to obtain a $1400 savings. But rather anyone could easily obtain that savings even if they were on something as short as a 7 day cruise booking multiple staterooms.

I am basically trying to refute what I believe to be an exaggeration that a $1400 savings can only be obtained by booking something extravagant like a World cruise in a suite. (see below)
Just did some research on a 10 day Mediterranean Holland America cruise for my parents and the potential savings was pushing $700/person - so I would agree that you don't have to book something extravagant to get these savings.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:04 pm

Then I guess I'm here to refute the impression I feel that's being given that the savings expressed represent online discounters rebating their commission because $700 per person is well more than any TA AFAIK would make on a 10day HAL in a regular non-suite category stateroom. There has to be some group or consortia rate plus a commission rebate that's being added together to get that amount. Any TA can take advantage of similiar if not identical group or consortia rates so to me the only real difference comes down to willingness to rebate a portion of the comission, which obviously and unfortunately in OP's case none were.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Lets just put an end to the speculation. Just list out dates, destination, and category so people can do their own clicking. Is a $700 savings possible? On a three day cruise on a major line, probably not. On a two week in the president's suite, maybe, but without something to go on they are just random numbers.

I used the websites listed to compare my brick and mortar cruise agency prices for an upcoming cruise. The price was actually higher over what I was paying, and I know the rates have dropped a bit since I reserved, so the links mentioned will be even more money.

Yes you can save money on cruising, but you really need to compare apples to apples to see if you are saving money, or getting taken by a quote that is way higher then you should be paying.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Lets just put an end to the speculation. Just list out dates, destination, and category so people can do their own clicking. Is a $700 savings possible?
Noordam, Holland America
October 8th, 2010
10-DAY MEDITERRANEAN ENCHANTMENT
2 people

Per Cruise Compete (Crown Cruise Vacations) - $2,882.14 + $100 OBC USD (Category K) or about $3,000 CDN net.

Per Holland America - $4,031.40 CDN (Category K) (Excls. $427.20 in transfers so we are comparing apples to apples)

That works out to a difference of $1,000.

I guess when doing my comparisons earlier, I must have included the transfers in the Holland America pricing. A 25% discount is still pretty good.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by 500 miles at a time
Noordam, Holland America
October 8th, 2010
10-DAY MEDITERRANEAN ENCHANTMENT
2 people

Per Cruise Compete (Crown Cruise Vacations) - $2,882.14 + $100 OBC USD (Category K) or about $3,000 CDN net.

Per Holland America - $4,031.40 CDN (Category K) (Excls. $427.20 in transfers so we are comparing apples to apples)

That works out to a difference of $1,000.

I guess when doing my comparisons earlier, I must have included the transfers in the Holland America pricing. A 25% discount is still pretty good.
I don't normally do this on FT, but what the heck.

There is a little bit of rebating/discounting in that quote.

The rates I show (we have group space on that sailing) for the Category K is USD $1499 plus $90.75 in taxes for a total of $1589.75 per person. There is OBC offered at $75 per person.

So yes, rates vary wildly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.