Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Miles & More MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Lufthansa Miles & More MasterCard

I've searched through the archives, but haven't found very many comments on the Lufthansa MasterCards. What the general consensus on this card?

There definitely seems to be some better card signup offers out there, but I have (or had) many of them already (SPG Amex, Hilton AMEX, United Visa, Citi AA cards, etc). Most of my current mileage balance is with One World or Sky Team, so it would be ideal to start working on accumulating some Star Alliance miles.

There is a signup offer right now for 20,000 + another 10,000 miles, which is the best I've seen for this card. I consider Lufthansa to be one of the best airlines out there, so a good card/program and a great airline seem like it would be worth getting the card.

https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/l...partnerid=1117

The drawbacks:
$79 annual fee, not waived
Lufthansa charges some fees/taxes for award redemption
????

The good:
Top tier airline (at least in my opinion and where I want to fly)
Miles don't expire
Better than average award ticket availability
Reduced mileage redemption when booked online
Ability to switch to a no annual fee card down the road

Any thoughts on this card compared to some other Star Alliance cards (Continental/Chase MasterCard or United Airways cards)?

Last edited by ez311; Oct 20, 2008 at 7:57 pm Reason: Corrected Continental/Chase card
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
LH has high fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
The only reason I've recently got the card is to keep the mileage account alive. I still got 100K+ on the account from the days before I've switched to UA MP.

It is the only way I know to keep the miles from expiring (except from having status of course, and my curtsy FTL is going to be expire soon).

My e-mail confirmation though said I was approved for Platinum card (but with a line of credit way up from the $5000). The card has not arrived yet, so I do not know to what card exactly they have approved me for. On one hand keeping the mileage account alive with no annual fee is nice, on the other hand 30,000 miles for 79$ is not bad either.

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Oct 21, 2008 at 8:23 am
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I thought LH had a credit card thru BOA.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I thought LH had a credit card thru BOA.
That one was gone about a year or two ago.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Be careful when applying for the LH card. I was issued a regular platinum MC card (not a World MC) with a credit limit of $5000. No annual fee, but your miles continue to expire and a tiny signup bonus of 5000 miles.

Called Juniper/Barclays to request upgrade, they would not budge. All they could offer was a review in 12 months. I closed the account right away.

BTW, I have other cards with unused credit of $50K+, so I don't know where they are getting their credit checks from. Also, note this was *before* the financial meltdown - back in March/April when they just launched the card in the US.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
The only reason I've recently got the card is to keep the mileage account alive....
My e-mail confirmation though said I was approved for Platinum card .
Check the documentation you receive with the card very carefully. My understanding is that the Platinum card does not keep the mileage account alive (only the World card does). This is what Barclay's Customer Service confirmed to me over the phone.

Let us know!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:51 am

I'll let you know.

However the FAQ does not make those distinctions (https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/cc...faqDynamic.jsp)
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I'll let you know.

However the FAQ does not make those distinctions (https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/cc...faqDynamic.jsp)
That's just the FAQ. Look to the following link for the T&Cs:

https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/l...req=CCMWC13255

And there - somewhere on the bottom - it says:

"No mileage expiration: all unused miles, which have been awarded to your Miles & More account and those you will earn in the future remain valid for an unlimited period of time and will no longer expire provided ..... For further information, please visit www.miles-and-more.com/creditcard. "

And there you will find a link to:

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...8002&solo=norm

It lists only the Premier World, and regular World MC for USA. No Platinum MC there.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:34 pm

I've finally got the card. It is indeed only the Platinum MasterCard. Form the time Barclays sent the card by the time it got here the credit line had been slashed from 20K to $500 (serves me right to apply to 4 credit cards at one time).

But, the specific terms and condition for the Miles and More Platinum MasterCard states:
"No mileage expiration: all unused miles, which have been awarded to your Miles&More account and those you will earn in the future remain valid for an unlimited period of time and will no longer expire provided that you make a purchase for which miles are awarded at least once a month and have held a Miles&More MasterCard for at least three months."

This was confirmed by Barclays card services department. Of course they had to state it in the negative, miles will be lost after 36 miles unless you will use the card every month.

So it seems to be a very good deal to keep the miles open. Hopefully come March 2009 I will not discover all my miles are gone.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

I've got a question for anyone who applied with the current offer of 20,000 miles after the first purchase + an additional 10,000 miles for any purchase made by 12/31/08.

I applied in late October, received the card and my first billing cycle just closed. The 20,000 bonus miles + miles from spend promptly posted to my Miles and More account, but not the additional 10,000 bonus. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ez311
I've got a question for anyone who applied with the current offer of 20,000 miles after the first purchase + an additional 10,000 miles for any purchase made by 12/31/08.

I applied in late October, received the card and my first billing cycle just closed. The 20,000 bonus miles + miles from spend promptly posted to my Miles and More account, but not the additional 10,000 bonus. Has anyone else had this happen?
Has anyone applied and received the additional 10,000 mile first use bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.