Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Points/miles card with 0% FT fee and no annual fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

With great surprise I discovered that Chase Ink Cash charges 3% of foreign transactions... I needed to read fine print before switching from Ink plus.

Here is the situation - I need a no annual fee and 0% FT fee card because 99% of the card usage will be with foreign transactions. 80% for that transactions will be either gas or hotel/airline/utilities spend. Total amount of spend per year - no more than $3000.

I also need to be able to issue at least two more cards for my family members -
each card should have its own number so I can see spend per card/account separately.

Any suggestions about a card(s) fulfilling above requirements? Chase Business Ink is the one but it $95/year and I switched from Ink Plus previously due to annual fee.

P.S. Card has to be either MasterCard (preferable, due to lower add-on on top of the interbank exchange rate) or VISA. No amex due to almost non-acceptance at the target geography.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 16, 2017 at 1:13 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
...need to be able to issue at least two more cards for my family members -
each card should have its own number so I can see spend per card/account separately..
As a practical matter this requirement means it will be a business card, and I suggest you look in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...es-points.html
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Here is the situation - I need a no annual fee and 0% FT fee card because 99% of the card usage will be with foreign transactions. 80% for that transactions will be either gas or hotel/airline/utilities spend. Total amount of spend per year - no more than $3000.

I also need to be able to issue at least two more cards for my family members -
each card should have its own number so I can see spend per card/account separately.

Any suggestions about a card(s) fulfilling above requirements?
I don't think there is one. The only cards that allow multiple cards each with own number (while still being the same master account) are business cards, as mia said. But I doubt you're going to find a business card with 0% forex and yet no annual fee.

I suggest you consider whether you really need no annual fee, or whether a "net negative" annual fee would be good enough. Ie, Chase has cards for 3 hotel programs, and each of these cards give you a free night certificate each year you pay the annual fee. If you travel at all, you'd be hard pressed to not find a use for one of these free night certificates that way outstrips the cost of the annual fee, thus "net negative". The IHG card gives an uncapped free night cert for $49. The Marriott card (the only one these that has business version) gives a category 1-5 free night cert for $85.

I'd suggest you look into the Marriott business card, if you need the multiple cards for "employees" (actually your family members), and you want 0% forex, and you want $0 (or less) "net" annual fee.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The only cards that allow multiple cards each with own number (while still being the same master account) are business cards, as mia said.
AmEx AU's have their own numbers but the OP ruled out AmEx. The no AF requIrene not seems like the only point with any wiggle room but the OP is goIng to have to prioritize the needs/wants list so we know where compromises can be made to find suitable options.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:12 am
mia

Here is a 1.5% cash back card that may meet your criteria:

https://www.capitalone.com/small-bus...k-cash-select/
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
Here is a 1.5% cash back card that may meet your criteria
Oops, overlooked points/miles as another possible compromise.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
With such limited spending and those requirements I don't see a points card being of much value to the OP.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
With such limited spending and those requirements I don't see a points card being of much value to the OP.
Methinks cash back is a red herring @:-)

Card seems to meet all of OPs requests.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Here is a 1.5% cash back card that may meet your criteria:

https://www.capitalone.com/small-bus...k-cash-select/
Or Quicksilver for a 1.5% cash back non-business card with no AF and no FTF. CapitalOne says that each authorized user will have cards with their own account number.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:04 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
...CapitalOne says that each authorized user will have cards with their own account number.
Thank you. It would be useful to verify this. Most USA MasterCard/VISA issuers do not do this for personal card accounts.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you. It would be useful to verify this. Most USA MasterCard/VISA issuers do not do this for personal card accounts.
FAQ 7 here:

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/chip-cards/

I can't personally verify since I don't have an AU on my account. I can say that the change to chip did bring a totally new card number after the change from regular -> gold -> no hassle rewards platinum -> ventureone all happened with the same number.

Only Visa/MC I have with an AU is from Navy Federal CU, and the AU does have a different card number and they list each card in a separate section on the statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.