Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Have to wait until November to find out if they can make FaceID more usable.

I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Plus I'm pretty sure they will try to get TouchID working through the screen. If they do that, FaceID becomes pretty much orphaned.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by diburning
Does anyone know the status of Safeway for EMV and/or Contactless? Starting in the Fall, the legacy (former) Supervalu owned Albertsons and associated banners will begin switching to Safeway's systems. The LSVU stores currently run on NCR/SVU ACS software, and can process EMV and contactless, although I think contactless is still MSD.
No sign of Contactless at the Safeway and Albertsons locations that are on Safeway systems. I have been in quite a few Albertsons in OR and WA that are already on the Safeway IBM/Toshiba Touchscreen system. It is a slow system, works terrible. Lousy touch screen interface, slow processing of cards, just a bad all around system. It is the same system Whole Foods recently ripped out. It does go a little faster in the Albertsons banner stores where no loyalty card is required; it seems the loyalty card thing really delays the system.

I notice Kroger installed the same system at two of the registers in their store (the gas station and the self checkout attendant station) then kept the other registers all with the old traditional IBM Keyboards. Yet for some reason the system at Kroger works a lot faster than the one at Safeway.

If Albertsons would ditch the touchscreen interface and go with the traditional keyboards like Kroger uses, I suspect it would work a lot more efficiently.

Still would not address the lack of Contactless...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Plus I'm pretty sure they will try to get TouchID working through the screen. If they do that, FaceID becomes pretty much orphaned.
Apple doesn't usually go back on something unless it turns out to really be a flop. If they wanted to keep TouchID, why not just put it on the back or something in the meantime? It's more likely they'll eventually get rid of it across their entire lineup.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I doubt that unless FaceID becomes cheaper than TouchID.

Apple likes their fat margins.

So will they put FaceID only on their $699 iPhone next year? They could raise prices again but then they'll risk some attrition of overall unit volumes, after already raising the lowest priced SKU this year.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I notice Kroger installed the same system at two of the registers in their store (the gas station and the self checkout attendant station) then kept the other registers all with the old traditional IBM Keyboards. Yet for some reason the system at Kroger works a lot faster than the one at Safeway.

If Albertsons would ditch the touchscreen interface and go with the traditional keyboards like Kroger uses, I suspect it would work a lot more efficiently.

Still would not address the lack of Contactless...
King Soopers and City Market which are Kroger banner stores in Colorado both use touchscreens instead of the keyboard and the speed is the same as any Kroger with keyboards if I recall correctly. So Safeway's Toshiba system is just a piece of junk and is poorly configured.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by scibot
King Soopers and City Market which are Kroger banner stores in Colorado both use touchscreens instead of the keyboard and the speed is the same as any Kroger with keyboards if I recall correctly. So Safeway's Toshiba system is just a piece of junk and is poorly configured.
The upgraded Harris Teeter stores around here all got cashier touchscreens, and they’re much nicer than the keyboards they had before. At other Kroger stores I’ve been to (Kroger in VA, QFC in WA), the touchscreens are usually reserved for SCO attendants and customer service.

Maybe it’s a placebo effect, but EMV seems slower at Harris Teeter. It’s odd given everything is new and in line with other Kroger stores.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
I've noticed all new build stores everyone got touch screens. At upgrade stores only the people that need it got them.

Also, Harris teeter falls under new build as the entire system was ripped out and replaced.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I doubt that unless FaceID becomes cheaper than TouchID.

Apple likes their fat margins.

So will they put FaceID only on their $699 iPhone next year? They could raise prices again but then they'll risk some attrition of overall unit volumes, after already raising the lowest priced SKU this year.
Technology does move pretty quickly so it's very possible that it will become inexpensive enough to include on the lower-end models by next year.

Another reason why I think TouchID will eventually go away: the headphone jack. There was a huge backlash with that when it was first removed in the 7 but Apple still hasn't relented.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Bank of America support contactless deposits now, it seems. I just used a BoA debit card in Apple Pay to make a deposit at one of the sleek, new ATMs. No transaction info in Wallet aside from the location. Receipt shows DAN and balance, but not the account number.
BTW, there's still no support for cards other than BofA debit cards either. Then again, I'm not sure if that's even possible for mobile wallets and ATMs.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Another reason why I think TouchID will eventually go away: the headphone jack. There was a huge backlash with that when it was first removed in the 7 but Apple still hasn't relented.
Not a very big backlash, since the iPhone 7 sold better than the 6s did and many Android phones have a digital headphone jack now too.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by pdxer
Not a very big backlash, since the iPhone 7 sold better than the 6s did and many Android phones have a digital headphone jack now too.
A digital headphone jack? Headphones on lightning or USB-C are not that. That would be a S/PDIF 3.5mm connection, such as the TosLink/analogue dual port common on MiniDisc players.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
A digital headphone jack? Headphones on lightning or USB-C are not that.
Yes they are that. The USB-C/Lightning connection is digital, with the DAC in the headphone or adapter.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:19 am

Yes they are that. The USB-C/Lightning connection is digital, with the DAC in the headphone or adapter.
They're digital. But they're not 'digital headphone jacks'. Just like a computer isn't a 'digital typewriter'.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
A 3.5mm headphone jack is analog. Always has been and always will be.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
A 3.5mm headphone jack is analog. Always has been and always will be.
Nobody said it wasn't. What's digital are USB-C/Lightning headphones, which plug directly into a USB-C/Lightning port.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.