Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The Future of the App-o-Rama & Credit Card Churning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Future of the App-o-Rama & Credit Card Churning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Instead of focusing on how much you can get from a bank and how quickly, focus on developing a long term relationship with a bank that works for you and the bank. That's the strategy that is sustainable.
I would love to, but it's not possible, I'm afraid, since my interests and the banks' are diametrically opposite.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joer1212
....my most recent app-o-rama was the worst one ever. Three of the 4 cards I applied for were denied.
If MS proves to be lucrative, I may abandon my strategy of cancelling cards before the annual fee is due.
Hmmmmm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:43 pm

Smile Try the broker bonus game

There are still a lot of broker bonuses out there. You need to have say $100K+ in a readily transferable security like an ETF. Then take a look at:
http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-brokerage-bonuses/

Some of them are two-fers. For example, open a Merrill Edge account with $100K. Get $250 deposited to your account after a while. Open with $200K you get $600. This gets upped to $1000 occasionally but it has been a while for that. Open a BofA Travel Rewards card and since you have a lot of money with them, the card pays 2.625% on all purchases towards travel expenses. There are ways to get this as cash back too. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-card-12.html

One problem is that the bonuses get reported on a 1099 MISC so you have to pay income tax on it.

But if you want to remember the good old days (cue the harp music) ...
I remember when savings accounts were paying 5% interest--yes sonny that was once true. I had a credit card with a $50,000 credit limit and got a one year no fee, no interest cash advance offer. I got a check, deposited to my savings account and made $2500 in interest. Ah yes, I remember that well.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by herx

I remember when savings accounts were paying 5% interest--yes sonny that was once true. I had a credit card with a $50,000 credit limit and got a one year no fee, no interest cash advance offer. I got a check, deposited to my savings account and made $2500 in interest. Ah yes, I remember that well.
The best was long term CDs at 16%. Cried when that went away.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase sent me a letter stating that I have made too many inquires in the past (5/24 rule). This means that in the future, I will be ineligible for any Chase cards (unless I am targeted for an offer) because I apply for more than 5 credit cards in a 24-month period.
You have several things wrong there. First, 5/24 has nothing to do with inquiries. It has to do with a count of how many cards on your credit report have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months (plus any Chase cards opened in the past 24 months that don't show up on your credit report).

Second, not necessarily "any". You can still apply for IHG and Hyatt cards despite being way way over 5/24. No one can foretell the future, and thus whether those exceptions will remain or not.

Finally, reports in the Chase forum threads imply that targeted offers are not a way around 5/24. People are still declined for 5/24 left and right despite using targeted offers.

It's Amex's 1-in-a-"lifetime" that some targeted offers are an exception to (but you have to check the language in each specific targeted offer).

Bank of America denied me because I "already have an account" with them (I waited over 90 days between applications).
For which BofA card? I've never heard of a rejection like that for an Alaska Airlines card over 90 days between applications. That sounds more like Barclay rejection reason.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You have several things wrong there. First, 5/24 has nothing to do with inquiries. It has to do with a count of how many cards on your credit report have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months (plus any Chase cards opened in the past 24 months that don't show up on your credit report).
Sorry, my mistake. I actually meant that I was denied because I had been approved for too many accounts, not that I had too many "inquires".

Second, not necessarily "any". You can still apply for IHG and Hyatt cards despite being way way over 5/24. No one can foretell the future, and thus whether those exceptions will remain or not.
By "any", I meant cc's that are actually valuable to me. I don't consider hotel points nearly as precious as airline miles. Sorry for not clarifying.

For which BofA card? I've never heard of a rejection like that for an Alaska Airlines card over 90 days between applications. That sounds more like Barclay rejection reason.
It was the BOA Alaska Airlines Visa.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by herx
There are still a lot of broker bonuses out there. You need to have say $100K+ in a readily transferable security like an ETF. Then take a look at:
http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-brokerage-bonuses/

Some of them are two-fers. For example, open a Merrill Edge account with $100K. Get $250 deposited to your account after a while. Open with $200K you get $600. This gets upped to $1000 occasionally but it has been a while for that. Open a BofA Travel Rewards card and since you have a lot of money with them, the card pays 2.625% on all purchases towards travel expenses. There are ways to get this as cash back too. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-card-12.html

One problem is that the bonuses get reported on a 1099 MISC so you have to pay income tax on it.

Yeah, but who wants cash? It's usually a poor value. I'd rather have 50k miles worth $3000 than $600 in cash.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Mamibear
<snip> Que sera, sera. To say that 2016 has been brutal to MS is an understatement.
I'd say that 2016 has been brutal for the entire miles-collecting hobby.
Brutal! Absolutely brutal!!

I spent weeks wondering where my miles would come from with all the changes and how much I'd have to spend redeeming them with all the award chart devaluations. Sadly, I did not have any breakthrough ideas or strategies. So I had to turn to an alternative strategy... I have a teenager about to turn 18, and I'm pinning my hopes there. So my advice is to procreate or adopt. One can only imagine the state of this hobby in 18 years, so hurry!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Brutal! Absolutely brutal!!

I spent weeks wondering where my miles would come from with all the changes and how much I'd have to spend redeeming them with all the award chart devaluations. Sadly, I did not have any breakthrough ideas or strategies. So I had to turn to an alternative strategy... I have a teenager about to turn 18, and I'm pinning my hopes there. So my advice is to procreate or adopt. One can only imagine the state of this hobby in 18 years, so hurry!
Well, at least someone on this forum can admit reality.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:09 pm
Suspended

That's news to me. I've always thought that the bonus was where the real money was, and MS was just a bonus. I guess I was wrong.
YOU are correct. Bonuses (obviously) give ya the highest rate of return. I MS too, but I earn about 1% Profit doing that. Can't beat a good old sign up Bonus of 50k miles, etc.. Problem is, I already have gotten all of them, so gotta wait. I just do regular MS in the interim, until more lucrative sign up Bonuses come along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.