Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The Future of the App-o-Rama & Credit Card Churning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Future of the App-o-Rama & Credit Card Churning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ff.volker
Think about the people that started after that? I don't know any hard working MS'er that started in 2015 or 2016 who is throwing a pity party.
They've probably never heard of the U.S. mint game.

250k easily just with the Ink+.
Too bad I no longer qualify for any Chase cards, unless I wait a whopping 2 years without applying for any cards at all.

if you read the MS beginner thread you will see that there are a lot of opportunities out there.
Thanks. That's my next project.

Last edited by joer1212; Jul 25, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
You should probably REALLY learn how your credit score is calculated before deciding how you want to modify your credit profile, as once you close the cards, you cant reopen them with the same age. Theres a lot of wrong information out there and most people don't really understand how things affect their credit score.
Yes, good point. I would not make this decision lightly, if at all.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
They've probably never heard of the U.S. mint game.

Too bad I no longer qualify for any Chase cards, unless I wait a whopping 2 years without applying for any cards at all.

Thanks. That's my next project.
Business cards may not count for the 5/24
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:51 pm

And it's not 2 years without any cards at all. It's 2 years with 4 cards total.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Business cards may not count for the 5/24
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...-credit-cards/

Last edited by joer1212; Jul 25, 2016 at 9:33 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:27 am

I didn't exactly sit on the sidelines, I've been regularly doing AOR's since late '12, but, I never learned about MS.
I'm specifically talking about ms. Anybody can apply for a credit card or multiples of them. Come on man. The initial bonus was just that a bonus. The real money was in ms. But it's dying rapidly. From the sounds of it you should probably stay away. You have more to lose than gain.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:04 am

The S/O and I both have pretty restrictive jobs that dont allow a ton of vacation, so we have to be selective. I dont have a ton of cards, or a ton of miles...but I was able to book the wife and I RT to Puerto Vallarta for 5 nights for a total of 110 out of pocket. This is why I do it.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I'm specifically talking about ms. Anybody can apply for a credit card or multiples of them. Come on man. The initial bonus was just that a bonus. The real money was in ms. But it's dying rapidly. From the sounds of it you should probably stay away. You have more to lose than gain.
That's news to me. I've always thought that the bonus was where the real money was, and MS was just a bonus. I guess I was wrong.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Yes because take Chase for example, CSP can be downgraded to Freedom, Ink P to Ink Cash. Multiple times you then would of had the potential to 30k to 60k from a Freedom a year, and 125k to 250k on the Inks per year. I would not recommend maxing the Inks out though.

Canceling without downgrading to a no fee card that still had good earning was shooting yourself in the foot.
IMO
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
Canceling without downgrading to a no fee card that still had good earning was shooting yourself in the foot.
IMO
I just figured I would apply again--and receive another bonus--in my next app-o-rama. I thought this gravy train would last forever.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed ms is dead - long live ms (thanks to Marie Laveau). We should all start a movement to draft Marie for President and bring the U. S. Mint deal roaring back to life.

...The real money was in ms. But it's dying rapidly. From the sounds of it you should probably stay away....
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:35 am

That's news to me. I've always thought that the bonus was where the real money was, and MS was just a bonus. I guess I was wrong.
Yea you are naïve about the whole industry. Best to just keep doing your bonuses.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Yea you are naïve about the whole industry. Best to just keep doing your bonuses.
I'll ignore the sarcasm, and ask another naiive question: Do you think MS will at some point disappear (like churning is disappearing), or will there always be opportunities because of the nature of the businesses associated with it?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:05 pm

Do you think MS will at some point disappear (like churning is disappearing), or will there always be opportunities because of the nature of the businesses associated with it?
as much as I'd like to be optimistic about MS opportunities, a great CU card I've had for a while got nerfed to one fifth of maximum allowed load and it looks like it's shutdown because I get error message each time I tried to load

with this said, I still have a few CU prepaids which I'll load everyday now instead of once a week not knowing what's up ahead. Que sera, sera. To say that 2016 has been brutal to MS is an understatement.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
To say that 2016 has been brutal to MS is an understatement.
I'd say that 2016 has been brutal for the entire miles-collecting hobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.