Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover login, requires text code. How to enable/disable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I actually like how some banks like Chase and Discover send a text to my phone and require me to enter that code before I get access to my account. I check accounts at work sometimes so this makes me feel better. But for some reason, my work computer doesn't require the code to log into my Discover account anymore. I don't ever remember disabling that. I suppose Discover now considers this a "familiar device". How do I enable it again for this computer? I searched throughout the webpage and can't find the solution. I may have to call, but I imagine that being a painful phone call. I'd rather do it online. Any help?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
But for some reason, my work computer doesn't require the code to log into my Discover account anymore. I don't ever remember disabling that. I suppose Discover now considers this a "familiar device". How do I enable it again for this computer?
First thing to do is clear your cookies, that should theoretically do it.

In future, use Private Browsing, or whatever you particular browser calls it, that will force the code every time you come back (ask me how I know).
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
First thing to do is clear your cookies, that should theoretically do it.

In future, use Private Browsing, or whatever you particular browser calls it, that will force the code every time you come back (ask me how I know).
Clearing cookies (and everything else) didn't do it. Weird.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Clearing cookies (and everything else) didn't do it. Weird.
I would trying using a different browser to test if Discover has a built a profile which includes that characteristic.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:16 am

Realize there may be more at play here than just your browser and pc. There may be some reputation analysis going on as well. Consider a scenario where logging in from work, perhaps a S&P 500 company or well known name, earns a stellar reputation in an algorithm versus a broadband provider (which might be anyone in the world) versus a mobile phone (which might be able to be fingerprinted to you).

Speaking of fingerprints, the server side may take an inventory of what your browser provides and add that to your profile. This can be all sorts of inventory such as installed fonts, plugin version information, plugins supported, time zone, screen size and color depth, and dozens of other potential attributes that in the aggregate, can pretty much nail you as you.

Discover has always been pretty aggressive at fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.