Search

European credit card fee cap! Rip off?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Absolutely. The fee caps are bad for small businesses (as they allow large corporations to cut their costs relative to the little guys even more than they already can), they're bad for consumers (they reduce credit card rewards and benefits, and raise the cost of borrowing), and they're... neutral-ish for banks (issuing banks lose, acquiring banks however can win by having a larger profit margin on what they charge small businesses). The only real winners in the interchange fee cap game are the likes of Tesco/Asda/Sainbury's/etc.
Why do you think the EU pushed for it then?
Old May 1, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Why do you think the EU pushed for it then?
Heavy lobbying from merchant groups associated with the largest retailers that misled them into believing it'd benefit consumers.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Heavy lobbying from merchant groups associated with the largest retailers that misled them into believing it'd benefit consumers.
Surely you can't mislead Law makers. Don't get me wrong I am not saying you are incorrect but just find it hard to believe how a bunch of politicians fell for such blatant lies.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Surely you can't mislead Law makers. Don't get me wrong I am not saying you are incorrect but just find it hard to believe how a bunch of politicians fell for such blatant lies.
lol. I just read this again. A little silly to assume that they would run through the pro's and con's of something.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Did you read what I wrote in the posts above about how that only applies really to large businesses that work directly with the networks or have massive amounts of negotiating power with their acquiring bank?
The cap applies to everyone. Smaller businesses that can't work directly with the networks have to go through an acquiring bank that takes a cut, just like smaller businesses have to buy their products through a wholesaler rather than directly from the manufacturers. However, they can shop around for a different acquiring bank (although I don't know how competitive the market is for this in the UK).

When the cost of a service is lowered, those who buy more of that service will benefit more than those who buy less. By that logic, nothing should ever be done to lower costs, because it will hurt small businesses.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
When the cost of a service is lowered, those who buy more of that service will benefit more than those who buy less. By that logic, nothing should ever be done to lower costs, because it will hurt small businesses.
Interesting. But yet they do.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if introducing mandatory interchange plus pricing along with interchange caps would help more with card acceptance than the latter alone. If nothing else, it'd let smaller businesses reap some of the gains that the larger ones have from the caps.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder if introducing mandatory interchange plus pricing along with interchange caps would help more with card acceptance than the latter alone. If nothing else, it'd let smaller businesses reap some of the gains that the larger ones have from the caps.
Absolutely, transparency at the small merchant level is needed. I'm not a fan of regulating these fees tho, it never seems to help consumers.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

it never seems to help consumers.
^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
From http://www.pymnts.com/news/payment-m...it-card-fees/:

“We’ve found over 100 companies that are charging fees in excess of 1 percent, and we believe this is the tip of the iceberg,” the company said in a blog post. “The true cost for each of these organizations will be different. But the variability in the charges highlights that some companies are not playing straight by the rules. If easyJet is charging 1 percent, how can Ryanair justify charging double that?”

Fairer Finance says that, in highlighting these fees, it wants to see Trading Standards increase enforcement against companies who aren’t following the rules and for ministers to make examples of them. Over the longer term, it says it wants to see charges for paying by credit card outlawed altogether, which it said many countries in Europe have already done.
Maybe there's some hope yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.