Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2016 "best" credit card for general spending (non bonus category expenses)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 "best" credit card for general spending (non bonus category expenses)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:14 am

I don't purposely get a separate annual fee credit card for non-category spending. I use a new card to meet spend requirement for sign-on bonus, or focus on a given CC to top off balance for a meaningful redemption, or just use one of my other cards with decent reward structure that I already carry for its travel benefits.

I do use Amex Everyday (the no fee version) for normal grocery purchases while I wasn't aiming for sign-on bonuses or need top-off balance for an upcoming redemption. And I don't bother with artificial # of charges on the Everyday card.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:35 pm

The best card for non-category expenses for me is no fee 2.625% BoA travel. After I got 2 BoA travel, I dumped 2 Arrival+ cards and put Fidelity Amex to drawer ( I also have a Fidelity Visa & a legacy Fidelity MC, I am wondering if I will receive three Fidelity Visa after July). If I overcharged both BoA travels since I limit myself to 1X, I will use SPG instead. I have enough miles and I am not hunger for miles.

Last edited by FSG378; Feb 1, 2016 at 11:02 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:24 pm

Red face It's 2016. What is the best card for non-bonused spend?

With SPG possibly going down, what card are you currently using for your non-bonused spend?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
As always, it depends on your goals.

For me, Amex everyday for 1.5x on non-bonus spend. I've gotten very good redemptions for premium star alliance cabins over the years by transferring MR to AC.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:21 pm

What about the Club Carlson Visa?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Club Carson cards are meh in general?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:16 pm

Fair enough. I just ran a few scenarios with the card, and with general spend, it just about earns 2% back. Not worth the AF.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyte
With SPG possibly going down, what card are you currently using for your non-bonused spend?
Right now my Chase Ink is getting pretty much all my spend due to a sign up bonus. After that, going back to my SPG Amex for non bonus spend. The likely massacre of SPG is still months, if not a year away. Plenty of time to earn and burn/transfer the points.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Right now my Chase Ink is getting pretty much all my spend due to a sign up bonus. After that, going back to my SPG Amex for non bonus spend. The likely massacre of SPG is still months, if not a year away. Plenty of time to earn and burn/transfer the points.
Okay What card do you plan on using after that?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
A bit surprised that no one has mentioned Discover it Miles with 1.5X2 unlimited cashback on everything. X2 is for the first year only and new customers.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Okay What card do you plan on using after that?
Honestly? I don't know. Probably depends on what I'm working towards. I'm going to have low/mid-ish 6 figure balances in both Amex and Chase, so it becomes a question of what I need to add do. Hypothetically, I transfer my whole SPG balance to Alaska in search of another Emirates F award I might use my Alaska Visa to bridge the gap. Maybe an AA award will come up and I use my Barclay Aviator MC.

In a game that changes by the month, trying to predict a year out is a pretty futile exercise.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:01 am

Like FSG378, I like the BofA travel rewards card with platinum honors status which gives 2.625% cash back on travel expenses. You can redeem the points for flights, rental cars, hotels, and theme parks which is very flexible. You don't have to worry about the availability of an award flight, you can fly on whatever airline you want, and you earn miles for your flight. While I'm sure there are certain redemptions where 1.5MR is better, with the BofA travel card you don't need to worry about the fluctuating value of transferrable points as the 2.625% doesn't change, assuming your keep your platinum honors status.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:18 am

I don't know why people always think they need a dedicated "everything else" card. If you are getting 1.5 MR with the EDP and happy with it, why not just use that for anything off-category? That's a pretty good value if you want points.

At the end of the day, people are going to pretty much list the same few options that fit your criteria, so it's up to you to determine which benefits will be the differentiating factor. As stated earlier in the thread, it's not just rewards, because for the most part the max you can get is pretty similar from program to program.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DrForce
Like FSG378, I like the BofA travel rewards card with platinum honors status which gives 2.625% cash back on travel expenses. You can redeem the points for flights, rental cars, hotels, and theme parks which is very flexible. You don't have to worry about the availability of an award flight, you can fly on whatever airline you want, and you earn miles for your flight. While I'm sure there are certain redemptions where 1.5MR is better, with the BofA travel card you don't need to worry about the fluctuating value of transferrable points as the 2.625% doesn't change, assuming your keep your platinum honors status.
Keeping 100K in a bank account (when you don't have an ML investment or retirement account) to reach platinum honors is a poor ROI.

However, I confused by your statement where you say you can redeem the points for flights, rental cars, hotels, and theme parks. I thought the card earned 1.5 points on every purchase, and that you could redeem the points for a 1:1 statement credit. Am I wrong?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:44 am

Keeping 100K in a bank account (when you don't have an ML investment or retirement account) to reach platinum honors is a poor ROI.

However, I confused by your statement where you say you can redeem the points for flights, rental cars, hotels, and theme parks. I thought the card earned 1.5 points on every purchase, and that you could redeem the points for a 1:1 statement credit. Am I wrong?
I don't have a travel rewards, but from what I understand, it's essentially 1.5% back that can only be redeemed at that rate for theme parks, hotels, flights, etc (as a statement credit). But you do EARN 1.5% on everything. Basically same thing as arrival or venture just not 2%.

I agree that when one considers BOA Platinum Honors, they need to consider the opportunity cost of not putting the money elsewhere. Not that everyone is making a bad decision with using it, but I think people get caught up in the increase in CC rewards sometimes and don't consider other options. At the end of the day, if your money will grow better elsewhere, the comparatively tiny increase in CC rewards isn't worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.