Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Problem? USAA Switches from Mastercard to Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem? USAA Switches from Mastercard to Visa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by serpens
Is there a typical percentage difference? If so, what is it? If not, then I assume there is a range, and it is impossible to tell beforehand where in the range a purchase will fall. In this case, it would be interesting to know the range.

My questions are motivated by the situation where I have a Visa and a Mastercard, and the Visa pays a greater reward than the Mastercard. What is the break-even point?

Thanks for any insight.
My rule of thumb now is that I always use 0% FTF MC for foreign currency purposes, unless the rewards are at least 0.5% points better on Visa/AMEX. Then I will use 0% FTF Visa/AMEX.

So bonus category spend on Visa is usually better than non-bonused on MC.

This does not mean the Visa exchange rates are always 0.5% worse. In fact, the Visa/MC spread can vary quite a bit and occasionally Visa even has the better rate. But on average MC is slightly better and I have no incentive to use Visa for non-bonused purchases.

You might consider using Visa/AMEX instead of MC for other reasons. For example car rental. You might have a Chase Sapphire Visa or AMEX with primary car rental insurance, or want to use AMEX to avoid DCC (rather notorious among rental car agency) or for better consumer protection
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since this thread has morphed away from the original topic (USAA switching from MC to VISA) I'm going to close it. If someone wants to continue the pluses & minuses of Visa vs MC they may start a new thread.
Thanks,
Your Mod Crew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.