Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

When to do Next Round of Credit Card Apps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

I roughly apply for 3or4 new cards every 90 days as this seems like a typical strategy. My question lies with when I should start my 90 day timer? Should I start this from the day I apply, or the day I get the green light that I'm approved? What I've read is I should gauge this by the date I apply because thats when the credit pull takes place. However, I had some freezes on my EX so I had to call in a few days later to give them the pin. This surely impacts my "timing" correct? Also any feedback with 3 cards every 90 is welcomed
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Make it 180 days - 1 year.

If you apply 3 cards every 90 days, the very first issue is you have too many inquiries.

You may be able to make it to the second rotation. But once you are stepped into the third, you will receive denial after denial.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCIdave
I roughly apply for 3or4 new cards every 90 days as this seems like a typical strategy.
It's not (present tense) the typical stategy. It used to be (past tense) the typical strategy.

The whole concept of timing App-or-Ramas every 90 days is several years out of date. But because bloggers don't take old blog pages down very often, and because bloggers care about making money from clicks more than keeping information accurate, you can still find a lot of old blogs out there touting doing apps in bunches every 90 days.

This whole concept developed back when the pull from one app would take a full day to be visible to the next bank. But now a pull from one app is visible "instantly" to the next bank, so it doesn't help to do apps in bunches every X days necessarily, over just spreading them out over the same time. (Possible exception: Two apps on the same day, from those banks that allow it, may help reduced the number of pulls showing on your credit report in some cases.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.