Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Looking for help on how to use all of these points I earn for my Honeymoon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

My story:

I got into the world of rewards and points around this time last year when I began looking for an engagement ring. I did my research on these forums and I decided to open a chase freedom and arrival plus (for the 0%) rather than use the jeweler financing. I met the spend easily and thus began my credit journey. This month I made my final payment and I was able to turn a years worth of planning into a special engagement for her. She said yes!

Now it's time to begin phase 2: Using these points I have earned. I've learned how to EARN rewards, but I have not unlocked the mighty wisdom that is required to properly USE them. So I humbly ask for your help. She is wanting to Honeymoon in Greece (7-10 days). I'd like to fly as much first class as possible, as we've never done that. We live in Nashville and would like to piece together a trip starting September 18, 2016. To date, here is my haul:

Airlines:
AAdvantage: 110k
Virgin Atlantic: 105k
Hawaiian Air: 35k
Southwest: 140k (We have a Companion Pass that expires 12/16)

Hotels:
HHonors: 42k (Eligible to upgrade to the Surpass in Aug)
IHG: 37k
Hyatt: 40k (+5 nights that I will earn from 40k spend)

Chase UR: 210k
Flexperks: 28k

I know I'm obviously going to have to spend some money somewhere, but I'm trying my best to be as efficient as possible. Between the 2 of us, my guess is we can possibly do at least 2-4 more signup bonuses before I lose my mind. I do not have a travel card yet, but I have time to wait and see if any appealing bonuses arise. I want to pull out all of the stops for the most luxurious honeymoon I can manage because she's well worth it. I realize some of the dates to book are very far out, but I like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance and I hope this is the right forum to post in, I apologize if not.

-Sig
Old May 22, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You'll probably find greater award-seat availability on Star Alliance carriers than on oneworld carriers, so you might want to stock up on UA miles and Amex MR points (transferable to Aeroplan).

Note that UA charges more miles for premium-cabin travel on partner carriers.

And if you're planning to fly to or from the Greek Isles (rather than ATH), keep in mind that a lot of the air service is seasonal.

If you can find SAAver award space on oneworld carriers, you currently have enough AA miles for two Business Class one-ways between the U.S. and Europe.

For travel in September, 2016, start looking for award space in October, 2015.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Do you know where in Greece you want to go? If so, take a look at airline schedules to that destination(s) as well as hotels available there. Compare those items to your available miles/points and that will help you figure out what holes you need to plug with additional credit.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:58 am

I am not trying to dissuade you at all but that companion pass is a powerful way to cut your flying in half. Are you guys sure you would not want to go somewhere that southwest flies? So many great tropical options.
Just something to consider. You could always save the points for a greece trip on your 5 year anniversary or 2017. The companion pass will expire, the miles will not as long as you watch them.

That advice aside as I would never want you to disappoint her or you be disappointed on your honeymoon, I would definitely target the airlines as mentioned above AND figure out if you can actually do the trip using hotel rewards. Some of the islands do not have chain hotels. Then target those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.