Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple Pay and Rewards Network (Dining for Miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay and Rewards Network (Dining for Miles)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
The number never changes (until it expires) and nothing neat is happening.

I can read my generated card numbers off my iPhone 6, including expiry dates. They work like normal numbers (I tested them).
If you are able to, you should try to make a purchase with the number online or as a manual entry on a credit card terminal - I'd be interested to see what happens.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:11 am

What if you put in a missing transaction record to the Dining Rewards Network? Will they be able to research it? Has anyone contacted them about using Apple Pay for payment and receiving rewards?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I posted the following in the Amex forum, which I think is somewhat related to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...got-offer.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I posted the following in the Amex forum, which I think is somewhat related to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...got-offer.html
Was this an offer through Amex? It would make sense if it was as they would know what Apple Pay # is associated with your main credit card #.

Dividend Dining does not.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:45 pm

How Apple Pay Really Works makes it sound like the device account number would not be authorized for payment without the one-time-generated crypto security code.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by danpeake
What if you put in a missing transaction record to the Dining Rewards Network? Will they be able to research it? Has anyone contacted them about using Apple Pay for payment and receiving rewards?
I have not contacted Rewards Network yet. I am fairly certain that it would result in nothing but a waste of time. Even explaining the situation to AMEX (who supports the system) took quite a while. The Rewards Network system is very likely just not compatible with Apple Pay. Maybe if I get really bored...

EDIT: The other issue for me that would complicate things is that I did 2 transactions back to back for the same amount. They would be extra confused by that.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Was this an offer through Amex? It would make sense if it was as they would know what Apple Pay # is associated with your main credit card #.

Dividend Dining does not.
Yes, the offer was through Amex, the kind that you see announced on their website or via tweets and you register for them.

The interesting part is that the terms of the offer indicated that payment through electronic wallets might not qualify, yet this one at least did.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by G2244
... Even explaining the situation to AMEX (who supports the system) took quite a while. .
I don't think we need to explain anything. They know exactly how their system works and will have heard of Apple Pay. Just ask them if restaurant transactions made with registered cards through Apple Pay will be tracked and credited, and if not how you can register your Apple Pay device.

Last edited by mia; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think we need to explain anything. They know exactly how their system works and will have heard of Apple Pay. Just ask them if restaurant transactions made with registered cards through Apple Pay will be tracked and credited, and if not how you can register your Apple Pay device.
I sent an email to Rewards Network regarding Apple Pay and here was their response (bolding and red font added by me):
Thank you for contacting us.

To earn benefits through our program, your current registered credit card must be swiped at the participating restaurant. Unfortunately, transactions processed through a third party company, such as Apple Pay, would not earn benefits.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me or call Member Services at 1-888-419-6683.

Sincerely,

Member Services
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:21 am
mia

My reply was worded differently:

At this time our system is unable to track dining information if your card is used through Apple Pay. Please note the credit card must be processed directly through the merchants credit card system in order for the information to be tracked.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Interesting on their differing replies. In any case it certainly sounds like they are taking a "not our problem" approach to the matter of Apple Pay not working with their program.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:41 pm
mia

If Apple Pay or similar services becomes successful it will be very much their problem because it will undermine this portion of their business model. (They are primarily in the business of lending money to restaurants, this is a way to drive business. There are other ways.) I would not expect them to say much more until they have negotiated a solution, but to begin they may just want to see if there is a measurable falloff.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Not Apple Pay per se, but does Google Wallet send the same card number that's on the Google Wallet debit card? If so, couldn't one get the debit card and sign that up for iDine, etc. and get the rewards that way? You'd have to preload money into your Wallet account but at 2.7% for preloading with a credit card you'd still be ahead if you're at the 5x level.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I actually scanned my phone recently with cardpeek and definitely got a different card number than the debit card. However, I don't think that card number changes, so it should be possible to register it on iDine and get your rewards. I haven't been able to find a place that's on iDine that supports contactless to test yet though. (And your mileage definitely varies on Apple Pay.)
Old May 28, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since my last post in this thread I switched from Android to the iPhone 6 and have been using Apple Pay at various places. A while ago I scanned my iPhone, got the full Device Account Numbers for my Rewards Network cards and added them to MileagePlus Dining. I totally forgot I had done this until today when I got an email from them asking to rate a place where I used Apple Pay.

So yeah, if you're willing to jump through some hoops Apple Pay will indeed work with the airline dining programs. When I get home I can post some instructions on getting the full DANs for those interested. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.