Wiki Posts
Search

Spending strategy feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Spending strategy feedback requested

Looking for some feedback on my current CC spend strategy. My overall goal is premium international travel (generally need two tickets). I don’t have time to MS and have been limiting my apps to bonus that really make sense for me. I now have less time to spend managing a bunch of different cards.

My previous strategy was working well. My focus was on UR points (CSP, Freedom, and Ink) and i primarily used SPG for non-bonus spend. This made sense as I was based out of SFO and was efficiently handcuffed to flying UA. So between my BIS miles and UR spend i would generally “earn” enough miles for two tickets a year (it was about 50/50). Most of my non-bonus spend was at AMEX accepted places, and as i generally stay at SPG properties, again, it made sense.

A few months ago I moved to SEA and have shifted my flying to DL (I may look at AS in the future but DL meets my needs). Given that i) UA is lacking a large presence in SEA, ii) I am no longer earning BIS miles on UA, and iii) the majority of my non-bonus spend ($ wise) is at places that do not accept AMEX I am left wondering where to go.

Lately i have been splitting dining spend (a very large category for me) between the CSP and Forward card (paired with the TY Premier) depending upon whichever is in my wallet, non-bonus and grocery on the AMEX everyday preferred (the 30x / mo is not a problem), and the V/MC only spend on the CSP (although i have been putting some of the TY Premier card to wind down my flight points balance). My corp card is diners (AA, AS, BA, ect. txfr partners).

I feel directionless on my strategy.

If you take the TYP out of the equation and say i earn UR and MR using the cards mentioned above I will not earn enough for two one-ways through either of those networks (unless i transfer the MR's to DL) each year. Every-other year yes, but that is a long time in the points economy. Plus, at least for now, dining and bookstore (~35%+ of total spend) on the forward seems like the best yield (thereby reducing the UR earn rate). Additionally, if i didn’t have so much non-AMEX spend each month (~15%) the MR or SPG focus would also make more sense (earning 1 UR/$ doesn’t feel all that great).

I can see a sweet spot for UR transfers to BA for AS flights, but those are not the flights i am generally looking for an award on (maybe there is value is redeeming for those and applying the cash to an int’l ticket). I see less use for MR in my situation other than as a DL transfer partner. I guess Singapore is a common transfer partner of all these networks which may be worth a view.

The forward, TY Premier, and a 2% CB MC card are starting to look better even though the math indicates a lower yield it would at least be usable.

Any thoughts? Have I overly constrained my view of MR and UR, or other suggestions or cards which i should consider?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you are able and willing to depart out of YVR, AA miles can be worthwhile. CX flies YVR-JFK (allowing for connections to Europe and South America on AA, AB, AY, and LA with no surcharges), and YVR-HKG (allowing for connections to the rest of AA's Asia 2 zone). And JL flies YVR-NRT, allowing for connections to both Asia 1 and Asia 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.