Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Churn My Way to Antarctica

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The icebergs are awesome too but then you also can view those up close in Newfoundland of Canada, which of course is the opposite side of the earth.
But given that it's on our side of the Earth (for those based in North America, as most in this thread seem to be), it seems a lot cheaper to get to the icebergs in Newfoundland or even Greenland than to the icebergs of Antarctica.

Just as its cheaper (in transportation costs, maybe even in needed time off from work) for those based in North America to go hiking on glaciers in the Canadian Rockies than to go all the way to New Zealand for it. (Although those aren't the only two places you can hike on glaciers; those are just nearest-for-many and furthest-for-many examples.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 19, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But given that it's on our side of the Earth (for those based in North America, as most in this thread seem to be), it seems a lot cheaper to get to the icebergs in Newfoundland or even Greenland than to the icebergs of Antarctica.

Just as its cheaper (in transportation costs, maybe even in needed time off from work) for those based in North America to go hiking on glaciers in the Canadian Rockies than to go all the way to New Zealand for it. (Although those aren't the only two places you can hike on glaciers; those are just nearest-for-many and furthest-for-many examples.)
Very true. By the same token, for us who are on the East Coast, the Caribbeans are far closer than Hawaii and basically offer the same things, with NICER beaches, even just in Florida.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
OK let's start from the very begining, no idea on how to answer the OP on the financial side, BUT to answer most questions and the what and how Antarctica can be done, there are 4 main ways to go from South America:
- Fly for the day or 1 overnight (expect to pay as much or more than a cruise)
- Fly to Antarctica and take the cruise around and then fly back, you avoid the rough crossing this way
- Cruise on big ships like Hurtigruten, 7 seas and the like brands, stopping or not in Falklands, South Orkneys, South Shetlands, BUT you do not get to see Antarctica and disemabark as with
- Smaller icebreakers (100 paxs + -) which in the crossing get rough with itineraries ranging from 10 to 28 days depending on the routes (stopping or not in Falklands, etc)

Old timers say that you need to prove you are worthy and suffer to get to Antarctica :-)

Cruise ships depart from Ushuaia (USH in Argentina) while the flights may depart from USH or Punta Arenas (PUQ in Chile) depending on the company.

Always stay at least one night in USH before taking the cruise. It is just to risky to loose a flight or if it gets delayed, as the ships will not wait as the USH port closes and then cannot depart until next day.
If taking a flight you need to stay about 4 days just in case the weather does not permit flying.

The way back no need to overnight as ships dock early in the morning, unless you want to rest in Buenos Aires :-)

Finally the other cruise option that was mentioned only sails the Beagle Channel upto to Cape Horn in different options. Mind this is nothing like Antarctica, you get to see glaciers, coves, penguins, Cape Horn, Tierra del Fuego, the Beagle Channel... BUT nothing from Antarctica.

hope this sheds some light.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
Too much work for no gain. My salary covers my needs, most reasonable wants, some "piddle-farting" and still leaves some left for savings. Credit card rewards are just an additional revenue stream for me (and profit generating hobby). Just because I applied a $100 credit to my Amex account does not mean I am going to run right out and blow $100.

And I hate Starbucks - either 7-Eleven or McDonald's (with a Kroger gift card that netted 6% cash and 14% gas points).
I agree! You could also get some stock market action with some of it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by artemis
The gain is Antarctica. What I'm suggesting doesn't involve big alterations in your overall spending patters (as MS requires) but simply making sure that you cash-back savings are 1) truly saved and 2) saved for a specific goal (rather than getting lost in the larger pattern of daily spending/saving we all do). Since there's really no way to do Antarctica on the cheap, saving for the trip's going to be a necessity, so why not do it the easy way?
Saving for the trip is not a necessity. I could pay for the trip today if I wanted to. Adding a special Antarctica bank account is just going to add another account to manage. In the end I will save the exact same amount of money.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tev9999
Saving for the trip is not a necessity. I could pay for the trip today if I wanted to. Adding a special Antarctica bank account is just going to add another account to manage. In the end I will save the exact same amount of money.
Exactly.

Some people may need that extra "push" to reach their goals. Others dont need that at all.

I never understand the "envelope" needs for many who literally need to stuff each envelope the money for a specific spend. But if that is the mechanism to help some to reach their goals, that is good for them. Us? We keep it really simple, everything from daily spend to trips or any big item purchases, all come out from the same pot. No, we never lose sight on where the money has gone, down to the dollar.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AOPA
Exactly.

Some people may need that extra "push" to reach their goals. Others dont need that at all.

I never understand the "envelope" needs for many who literally need to stuff each envelope the money for a specific spend. But if that is the mechanism to help some to reach their goals, that is good for them. Us? We keep it really simple, everything from daily spend to trips or any big item purchases, all come out from the same pot. No, we never lose sight on where the money has gone, down to the dollar.
I think rather than the "push", some of us here are either bean counters or formally bean counters. We like to know if the things we do is worth our time, by looking at $$ for out activities and compare it to opportunity cost.

The envelope method is not a bad way to live by.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Exactly.

Yep, different strokes for different folks. I've seen some people online wonder why, for example, anyone would want the Barclaycard Arrival card instead of a card that gives cash back that can be used on any spending. Why would anyone want cash back that can only be used on travel, when regular cash back is so much more versatile? They are completely missing the point that for some folks, that restriction is precisely what makes the card valuable to them: it's forced savings for travel.

I'm a one-pot saver, too, but I absolutely understand why others aren't, and I think any tricks (like the envelop method of budgeting, or using a travel card rather than a generic cash-back card) that helps people reach their financial goals should never be looked down on. Hurrah for doing what it takes!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddy25
I think rather than the "push", some of us here are either bean counters or formally bean counters. We like to know if the things we do is worth our time, by looking at $$ for out activities and compare it to opportunity cost.

The envelope method is not a bad way to live by.
Never say it is a bad way. I made it clear that if this work for some, that it is a good way for them.

I dont think bean counters have anything to do with it. My BIL is a mid level accounting professional and a CPA in a Fortune 50 company, yet he would go out to the lumber yard to buy woods without ever comparing prices when the contractor tells him what are needed.

The saving habit largely depends on a person's ability to stay self-disciplined and the resistance to temptation. Seemingly in this country, such personal traits are not commodities.

Originally Posted by artemis
Yep, different strokes for different folks. I've seen some people online wonder why, for example, anyone would want the Barclaycard Arrival card instead of a card that gives cash back that can be used on any spending. Why would anyone want cash back that can only be used on travel, when regular cash back is so much more versatile? They are completely missing the point that for some folks, that restriction is precisely what makes the card valuable to them: it's forced savings for travel.

I'm a one-pot saver, too, but I absolutely understand why others aren't, and I think any tricks (like the envelop method of budgeting, or using a travel card rather than a generic cash-back card) that helps people reach their financial goals should never be looked down on. Hurrah for doing what it takes!
I fully respect what people choose to do to make a "forced" saving (such as having more tax withheld from their pay checks so they could get a big tax refund check, despite giving the government an interest-free loan) - as I said if the mechanism works for them that is all good.

Matter of self-discipline, some people have it some dont. Those who dont, would need tools to help them stay on track. So it is all good.

To generalize this to the OP and lecture him to set a goal for his planned adventure is, well, a bit over assumption wouldn't you think?

No where did I ever "look down" to folks who need "tricks" to help them save? Another generation that is a bit over the top.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 23, 2014 at 7:02 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: free agent
Had to do it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH573B1bkHI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.