Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Scam Warning - Robo-dialer posing as Barclays fraud dept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

I was going to post this is the USMC thread, but figured I'd create a new thread since this could apply to the Lufthansa & Arrival cards as well.

Just saw on the news tonite that there is a scam going around where a robo-dialer is requesting you to call an 800 number and type in your full account number otherwise your Barclay's World Mastercard will be frozen. The audio clip I heard sounded just like Siri's voice so I'm not sure if that was the actual recording or if that was just the news' way of spreading the info.

Hopefully everyone is smart enough to know better than to call in, but since many of us on here have dealt with at least a few legit fraud calls, its a good reminder to be diligent.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.scamcallfighters.com/scam...aud-11638.html
http://www.callercenter.com/877-675-9553.html
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Warning - Barclay's card scam

I would never give my card number if someone called asking. Personally I hang up and call back
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by lakers6902
I would never give my card number if someone called asking. Personally I hang up and call back
Same here. But the scam specifically asks you to call back... except it's to a bogus 800 number.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either ignore it or call customer service, the number on the back of your card, to inquire. Never call an unknown number.@:-)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
I have had some weird Barclays survey calls happen within the last few months, where the calls would start out by saying "this is the Barclays fraud department" but then it would start a customer satisfaction survey. I think it was a legitimate call however given the wording I reported it to Barclays
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I've had automated and calls with a person like this. My reply is I'll call the number on the back of the CC what is your extension. Usually I just hear click! The one time I did get a real call the other person said that's a very good way to handle it and here's my extension. Never call a number that's not on your CC.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:51 am

Fwiw, i got the robo fraud call this morning with an 800 call back number. A few minutes later, i got a fraud protection email. When i called the number on the back of my card, it asked me to verify some charges after i entered my card #. It was legitimate but only calling numbers on the card is just good practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.