Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit cards for signup bonus and FFPs for Delhi-Seattle RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
Arrow Credit cards for signup bonus and FFPs for Delhi-Seattle RT

Hi All,

I am pretty new to all this (as will be evident through my questions) but hoping to use your advice.

Would like your views on how to go about Delhi-Seattle round trip for free / nearly free through :

1) Credit card signup bonuses and reward programs (Which CCs??)
2) FFPs and loyalty programs

Also which airline to pick ?
And if in future I need to do Chennai-Seattle then will the above choices remain same?

Kindly tell me how I can maximize profit.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:30 pm

American Airlines is probably your best option. They have a good presence in Seattle and their partners Qatar and Sri Lankan offer good service to India. you should be able to get I think 125,000 AA miles pretty easily -- there is a 50k Visa offer out there plus a 75k MasterCard offer. Do you want to fly economy or business/first?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by crimson12
American Airlines is probably your best option. They have a good presence in Seattle and their partners Qatar and Sri Lankan offer good service to India. you should be able to get I think 125,000 AA miles pretty easily -- there is a 50k Visa offer out there plus a 75k MasterCard offer. Do you want to fly economy or business/first?
If you get both make sure you apply for the 50k Visa 1st and then the 75k MC...if you get the 75k MC 1st it will be ~18 months until you can get the Visa.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Sorry, but if you're going to go with AA, the best partners out of Seattle to Delhi are Alaska and Etihad, not Sri Lankan (SL is in Asia 2, which you're not allowed to transit to India on one award) or Qatar (which has worse award availability than Etihad).

Something like SEA-LAX on Alaska, then LAX-AUH-DEL on Etihad, should work. Or via DFW as well.

I would also look into Alaska miles for flights on Emirates, since you could potentially fly SEA-DXB-DEL with just that 1 stop.

With Etihad and Emirates, both fly to MAA as well.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by amolkold
Sorry, but if you're going to go with AA, the best partners out of Seattle to Delhi are Alaska and Etihad, not Sri Lankan (SL is in Asia 2, which you're not allowed to transit to India on one award) or Qatar (which has worse award availability than Etihad).

Something like SEA-LAX on Alaska, then LAX-AUH-DEL on Etihad, should work. Or via DFW as well.

I would also look into Alaska miles for flights on Emirates, since you could potentially fly SEA-DXB-DEL with just that 1 stop.

With Etihad and Emirates, both fly to MAA as well.
AA recently revised its routing rules to permit a CMB connection on a North America to India/Middle East award. See the discussion in the AA forum "One Way Flex Awards" thread, and on the TB website.

Although AA does not permit travel via the Pacific on an award from North America to India, during seven months of the year one can travel from North America to India via Asia 1 (Japan and Korea) for just 47.5K AA miles one-way in Economy. A single award from North America to India via the Atlantic costs 45K AA miles one way in Economy. During a slightly different seven-month period, one can get from North America to India via the Atlantic for just 40K AA miles, by combining a North America-Europe off-peak award with a Europe to India award.

Among the AA partners that serve DEL are CX, JL, MH, AY, GF, RJ, and India's own 9W.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA recently revised its routing rules to permit a CMB connection on a North America to India/Middle East award. See the discussion in the AA forum "One Way Flex Awards" thread, and on the TB website.

Although AA does not permit travel via the Pacific on an award from North America to India, during seven months of the year one can travel from North America to India via Asia 1 (Japan and Korea) for just 47.5K AA miles one-way in Economy. A single award from North America to India via the Atlantic costs 45K AA miles one way in Economy. During a slightly different seven-month period, one can get from North America to India via the Atlantic for just 40K AA miles, by combining a North America-Europe off-peak award with a Europe to India award.

Among the AA partners that serve DEL are CX, JL, MH, AY, GF, RJ, and India's own 9W.
never mind.. got it..
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
so as far as I can gather, American Airlines and related CCs are the best bet.

do points from Ultimate rewards and Amex MR also transfer to AA on 1:1 basis? cause points can be racked up from sign-up bonus

What other cards beside the AA co-branded cards do you people suggest....

ok... so I did some research and found that one world airlines (BA, etc) used for India awards charge a hefty fee.

So guys in your opinion, which group would be better for economy/premium economy awards : one world or star alliance?

accordingly I will pickup the CCs

Last edited by romania2007; Jul 30, 2014 at 7:31 am Reason: more info gathered
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:10 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
I would go the alaska route given the award space on EK and the easy 1 stop option of flying from india to seattle consistently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.