Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Can someone guide me on the right path. Dont want to make the wrong decision

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone. After reading a lot of posts on these forums all throughout this week I decided to sign up. This is my first post and im relatively new to applying for credit cards in order to seek free/nearly free airline tickets. I was wondering if you guys could give me a little insight before I apply.

My life: I mainly travel outside the US. Mostly to Peru and Europe.

My ideal credit card would benefit me to travel to Peru and Europe (prefer PERU). I looked at multiple credit cards like the chase sapphire preffered, american express blue everyday, blue everyday preffered, amex, united mileage plus but cant decided which one to apply to first. Overall Im thinking of applying to 3-4 but first I want to have one and practice my manufactured spending.

Can you guys guide and help me figure out which one benefits me the most?

Thanks again guys for the help in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:06 pm

What's your home airport, and are you likely to travel any given month or just whenever?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iruvmattree
What's your home airport, and are you likely to travel any given month or just whenever?

My home airport is PVD (Rhode Island) however I can easily go to Boston if necessary. Also, I usually travel during the summer and around christmas time. But im open to anytime overall
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

What is your credit history / credit score? Which airlines do you currently fly and how many miles do you have?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deant
What is your credit history / credit score? Which airlines do you currently fly and how many miles do you have?

I usually fly Delta, American Airlines, LAN, Jetblue. I prefer LAN, AA, Jetblue over Delta but it isnt a big factor. To be honest I dont have many miles if any, Im starting from zero. My credit score is average/above average
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
When you say your credit score is average or above average, what is your score on the various credit agencies?

The next thing you need to do is start being loyal to one alliance and putting all miles in one program.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:56 am

as mentioned the first thing you want to do is make sure you (and your spouse if you have one) have accounts in all the airlines, rental agencies, and hotel chains that you use.
in fact, might as well get as many as possible. you can use a site like awardwallet.com to track your accounts, also use a spreadsheet.

After that, you really need to decide what airline you will likely be using to fly to your destinations. If you plan on using your accrued miles for that type of trip, it should be a small list.

Next you want to see what airline likely has the best value or ease of acquiring points. Log into your account on say American and search the flights on your usual routes to see how many points it will likely cost. Do the same for the other airlines. There are also charts for this.
It may be easier to get 120k points on American to fly to Peru than on Jet blue.

This should give you a goal to strive for. Then you can look at the credit card offers and see not only what the reward will be but make sure you can meet the requirement to get that offer. It may be harder to spend $5000 in 3 months than 6 months or than $1000 in 3 months, etc.

Sorry if that was little confusing. It may be beneficial to read topics similar to yours as usually responses are similar.

Most importantly, keep reading threads on here and in the respective rewards forums.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aeneas3
as mentioned the first thing you want to do is make sure you (and your spouse if you have one) have accounts in all the airlines, rental agencies, and hotel chains that you use.
in fact, might as well get as many as possible. you can use a site like awardwallet.com to track your accounts, also use a spreadsheet.

After that, you really need to decide what airline you will likely be using to fly to your destinations. If you plan on using your accrued miles for that type of trip, it should be a small list.

Next you want to see what airline likely has the best value or ease of acquiring points. Log into your account on say American and search the flights on your usual routes to see how many points it will likely cost. Do the same for the other airlines. There are also charts for this.
It may be easier to get 120k points on American to fly to Peru than on Jet blue.

This should give you a goal to strive for. Then you can look at the credit card offers and see not only what the reward will be but make sure you can meet the requirement to get that offer. It may be harder to spend $5000 in 3 months than 6 months or than $1000 in 3 months, etc.

Sorry if that was little confusing. It may be beneficial to read topics similar to yours as usually responses are similar.

Most importantly, keep reading threads on here and in the respective rewards forums.
Thanks for the informations and advice. I really appreciate it. It was my confusing at all. I understand that JetBlue would be harder. I was just putting JetBlue as a airline I fly. Due to the fact I don't have any miles on a program yet I was wondering which card you guys recommend me get that I can get a good sign up bonus and then do manufactured spending on. I'm opened to all types of credit cards that will help me achieve my goal, except citi cards as I heard that those won't allow you to buy gift cards as they process those as cash advance. Thanks again for your time
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by aeneas3

Basically what he said.( although, maybe some of his advice may still be too advanced for you at this point) Most importantly keep reading and soon you'll get an idea about how this game works. For reference, it took me until just recently to get semi comfortable with this game (and I've been doing this for about 2.5 years now) it may also be beneficial for you to start by reading blogs such as thepointsguy.com and view from the wing (i know how many people here like to make fun of blogs but nonetheless they are a good starting point)

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 20, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by lperez24
Thanks for the informations and advice. I really appreciate it. It was my confusing at all. I understand that JetBlue would be harder. I was just putting JetBlue as a airline I fly. Due to the fact I don't have any miles on a program yet I was wondering which card you guys recommend me get that I can get a good sign up bonus and then do manufactured spending on. I'm opened to all types of credit cards that will help me achieve my goal, except citi cards as I heard that those won't allow you to buy gift cards as they process those as cash advance. Thanks again for your time
The citi card assumption about cash advances for the most part is WRONG. Citi cards do tend to be subjectable to cash advances but for the most part that seems to be if you are buying financial products such as gift cards DIRECTLY FROM OTHER BANKS) this has nothing to do with buying gift cards from supermarkets for example.

Even still If you are scared of getting hit with a cash advance fee from citi or any other bank, then simply ask the banks to lower your cash advance limit to $0
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your time any advice on which ones I should apply for first at this point?

I was planning on applying for the sapphire preferred card as it gives one 40k miles, however I was wondering if you guys know any other offer that would be better for me?

Also, I was looking on the referrals page and was wondering if it would be better for me to apply through a referral. Are there any benefits for me by doing this?

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jul 21, 2014 at 8:38 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:14 pm

I was planning on applying for the sapphire preferred card as it gives one 40k miles, however I was wondering if you guys know any other offer that would be better for me?

Also, I was looking on the referrals page and was wondering if it would be better for me to apply through a referral. Are there any benefits for me by doing this?

see here, my advise is.... Also before you get started make sure you don't have any credit card debt and that you are paying off your cards in full each month

one final thought
when it comes to redemption, reademing AA miles for British airways flights is not a smart idea British airways charges much higher taxes and fees for reward flights flown on their planes

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
If oneworld airlines are your choice I would recommend the Citibank AA card for longhaul international travel
And also, for domestic or short haul travel I would recommend the British airways program (earning through the Chase sapphire prefered)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
see here, my advise is.... Also before you get started make sure you don't have any credit card debt and that you are paying off your cards in full each month

one final thought
when it comes to redemption, redeeming AA miles for British airways flights is not a smart idea British airways charges much higher taxes and fees for reward flights flown on their planes
checked AA for redeeming miles and I need approximately need 85k miles for a roundtrip to Peru while for delta I need approximately 70k. Was wondering if you guys could give me advice on which delta or AA card I should apply for. Or if I choose the CHASE ultimate rewards card will that help me more or less than the DELTA OR AA Card?

With whatever card I get I plan on doing manufactured spending as I have read a lot of threads about this all this week. Thanks again for the help guys
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:00 pm

checked AA for redeeming miles and I need approximately need 85k miles for a roundtrip to Peru while for delta I need approximately 70k. Was wondering if you guys could give me advice on which delta or AA card I should apply for. Or if I choose the CHASE ultimate rewards card will that help me more or less than the DELTA OR AA Card?

With whatever card I get I plan on doing manufactured spending as I have read a lot of threads about this all this week. Thanks again for the help guys
Without a doubt AA would be my choice. Reason being sustainability Delta you may be able to squeeze out 1 roundtrip award and that's it.
Any reason you are limiting yourself to to only one card? i personally would get both the CSP and one of the AA.
Also, I would cool it with all your MSING aspiration (at least in the short term)
First off its important to build a relationship with any bank (in terms of of real spending) before you out and spend upwards of $10k in MS out of the blue. (you will get shut down and banned by the bank most likely if you do it like that)
Finally as I am sure you know if you've read carefully enough, it is NEVER a good idea to tell customer service representatives or other bank officials that you "Manufacture spend" for air miles etc... If you are ever asked by CSRs as to why your spending volume is so high or better yet " why are you buying so many gift cards or have so many AP transactions? it's best to say " I use gift cards (or other payment service) to pay off my auto loan or mortgage be rewarded with points/miles for it.
As always, I believe honestly is the best policy therefore it is best if you ACTUALLY do put your MS funds into something like paying for a car loan etc instead of just turning around and paying your bank right back.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP
If the CSP is for United miles, why not just go for the United card? It also has no Forex fees, Primary car rental insurance, a bigger bonus, a lower spending requirement and more likely fee waiver or retention bonus after a year. The CSP gets an inordinate amount of attention because it pays bloggers money when you use their links. Check your account for a 50-55K offer, and if it's not there you can take the 35K and then send a secure message to Chase asking them to match the 50K bonus - 99+% of the time they do.

What makes sense as the first 2 cards for most people looking for miles for international travel are the United and AA cards, each with 50-55K miles signup bonus. Both programs allow one-way redemptions so you can mix and match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.