Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Travel Rewards + Preferred Rewards = Up to 2.775% everywhere card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank of America Travel Rewards + Preferred Rewards = Up to 2.775% everywhere card?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I got a 20K offer through my online portal. Is this the highest offer you can get with this card? I am currently still a Platinum Privileges customer, not sure if I want to switch to Preferred Rewards yet, anyone got any idea on the differences between the two?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: Everyone!
I haven't seen 20K being offered before - I just joined at 10K.

From what they publish, looks to me like Platinum Rewards is better, if not just for the bonus rewards:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/prefer...-comparison.go
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by PGHflyer
I haven't seen 20K being offered before - I just joined at 10K.

From what they publish, looks to me like Platinum Rewards is better, if not just for the bonus rewards:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/prefer...-comparison.go
Thanks. So if I am picturing this correctly...

1. One will need $200k in Merrill Edge (then withdraw $100k after 90 days) to take advantage of $600 from Merrill Edge (heard there's $1k somewhere before but not offered right now), or else $250 for just Platinum Honors. Cause putting $100k in Bank of America is just brain dead.

2. An eligible Bank of America personal checking account.

3. 3-month average combined balances of $20,000 or more. Apply Preferred Rewards after qualifies.

4. Then apply for the credit card so the 10k or 20k points bonus will also apply the 75% bonus.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:42 am

That sounds about right, I don't believe you receive bonus points on the 10k/20k bonus if you get the travel rewards card, only the cash card.....also, you can wait 90 days before opening the BOA account if you want - the time / balance in Merrill counts towards your preferred status and can be instantly awarded if applicable when you open a BOA account.

Pretty long discussion of these accounts in Fat Wallet

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...073/?start=360
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:08 pm

That sounds about right, I don't believe you receive bonus points on the 10k/20k bonus if you get the travel rewards card, only the cash card.....also, you can wait 90 days before opening the BOA account if you want - the time / balance in Merrill counts towards your preferred status and can be instantly awarded if applicable when you open a BOA account.

Pretty long discussion of these accounts in Fat Wallet

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...073/?start=360
Thanks. I'll check it out. If I have more questions I'll post here
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:45 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I got a 20K offer through my online portal. Is this the highest offer you can get with this card? I am currently still a Platinum Privileges customer, not sure if I want to switch to Preferred Rewards yet, anyone got any idea on the differences between the two?
Out of curiosity, where did this offer pop up for you? It's certainly better than any public offer I've seen for this card product.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:02 pm
Suspended

I am a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors Client. Recently, $105.47 in rewards from my BankAmericard Cash Rewards was automatically redeemed and deposited in my checking account for $184.58. Ratio: $184.58/$105.47 = 1.75. The "1.75" is the 75% reward bonus for being a plat client plus the regular 1x for regular clients.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Apr 7, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Out of curiosity, where did this offer pop up for you? It's certainly better than any public offer I've seen for this card product.
i've seen it pop up after logging into b of a and sometimes also on the left hand side when you're looking at the accounts summary page. sadly not everyone gets offered the 20K for the travel rewards card - my promo is only 10K but 2 family members had the 20K versions (all platinum honors accounts).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by brownie20
i've seen it pop up after logging into b of a and sometimes also on the left hand side when you're looking at the accounts summary page. sadly not everyone gets offered the 20K for the travel rewards card - my promo is only 10K but 2 family members had the 20K versions (all platinum honors accounts).
Yep, I got it through log in to my bank of america account.

Both the Travel and Cash Rewards are 20,000.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:00 pm

Can anyone comment on how tolerable it is to use the BOA "Travel Center"?

According to the terms, you earn "3 points per dollar (consisting of 1.5 bonus points and 1.5 base points) for the first $6,000 in airline purchases (up to 9,000 bonus points) made at the Bank of America Travel Center each calendar year. All other purchases made at the Travel Center, excluding insurance purchases, will receive 3 points per dollar with no limit on bonus points."

So I assume for a Platinum Honors level person...this would equate to 4.125% points return? Can anyone confirm if they apply the bonus to the full 3 or just the 1.5 base?
I have the Bank Americard Privileges with Travel Rewards and a Platinum Honors account. From experience, the Travel Center website sucks. I can usually find much better deals on third-party travel websites. However, the card works with Bank of America Reward Shopping Mall, which gives you bonus points on a lot of retailers (Best Buy, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc)https://rewardsshoppingmall.bankofamerica.com/home.htm

I use it regularly and have accumulated a decent bonus-point balance like this. Fair warning, just like the Ultimate Rewards Mall, shopping from Bank of America's Rewards Shopping Mall relies on cookies and doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.

Overall I'm very pleased with this card. No annual fee, chip, pretty decent exchange rates on foreign transactions, high 2.2%+ rewards on all purchases and very easy to redeem points.

Last edited by whereami22; Apr 8, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:12 pm

FWIW, I had a complex international itinerary (open jaw, a 2 day layover, etc) and the price on the BOA site was actually $2.00 cheaper than booking on the airline site directly.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:11 pm

Been doing some math on this one (based off also having a BOA Travel Rewards card) .....and unless you have a big equities balance already getting you a high preferred status or.....unless you are a heavy spender ($9K or more per month, excluding BOA travel center purchases) or a heavy stock trader (31-100 trades per month)...or some combination thereof.....it will NEVER pay to be higher than Gold Preferred status based on cash balance alone when you can get 1% interest in regular online savings accounts (Platinum Honors, the top rate, is currently a miserly .1%) and 2% on the free Citibank Double Cash.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:40 am

Been doing some math on this one (based off also having a BOA Travel Rewards card) .....and unless you have a big equities balance already getting you a high preferred status or.....unless you are a heavy spender ($9K or more per month, excluding BOA travel center purchases) or a heavy stock trader (31-100 trades per month)...or some combination thereof.....it will NEVER pay to be higher than Gold Preferred status based on cash balance alone when you can get 1% interest in regular online savings accounts (Platinum Honors, the top rate, is currently a miserly .1%) and 2% on the free Citibank Double Cash.
Of course not; you never want to put money in the amounts required for any rewards status in cash balances. There's a fee-free brokerage; put your money in equities.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:58 pm

I have invested all of my funds at ML in Vanguard ETFs.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ACVid
I have invested all of my funds at ML in Vanguard ETFs.
Did you follow the standard 3 fund or 4 funds vanguard ETF rule?
VTI
VXUS
BND
BNDX

or did you go with a different portfolio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.