Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by frugaltravel
Applied for US Airways MC 50K last week, under review, couldn't call the reconsideration line last week due to busy schedule at work. Checked online today and was denied. Called recon line and they said it was denied because I still have US Airways MC open (I only have 1 US Airways MC). Asked to talk to the supervisor, same thing no approval. Asked if the inquiry can be removed, she said no.
If it helps any, most everyone who's denied for already having one open haven't actually gotten an inquiry. Then again, most people reporting that have been denied instantly, rather than after review. Let us know if you do actually get a hard pull - could be a good data point.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by protagonist
Follow-up:

Initially rejected for the business card, I called to see if I could shift my credit around. The rep said no, I was rejected, a letter would explain why. I insisted on speaking to the credit dept. , though she didn't want to transfer me. The rep in the credit dept. asked me a few questions and immediately accepted me for the card, no problem.

So in conclusion, since August, 4 US Airways cards, $356 in fees ($89/card), 140,000 free miles. Not bad, eh? Oh, and I will try to get the $25 reimbursements for fees by signing up for paperless billing on each card.
I only have 2 cards. I have earned almost 133,500 just on the bonus miles.
I am currently working 3 additional bonus offers and hope to earn at least another 20,000. I have yet to pay an annual fee.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I only have 2 cards. I have earned almost 133,500 just on the bonus miles.
I am currently working 3 additional bonus offers and hope to earn at least another 20,000. I have yet to pay an annual fee.
Have a cookie.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Plat
Just got approved!

Applied Thursday night and didn't call reconsideration line.
My NFL card (still open) inquiry dropped off my report last month.
This is my 5th CC app this year, 3 AA exec and 1 CSP; all approved.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Originally Posted by MisterSelfish
I've had two cards in the past, one still active and one canceled on ~1/14 since I accidentally signed up for a version of the card that did not give the annual 10,000 mile bonus.

Tried applying on Thursday, got denied by a computer. Called in today to speak to a rep and was told I could only "have one US Airway card" per person. Obviously bunk, since my wife has two active cards.

Going to try and call another rep tomorrow and see what happens. Anyone have any luck getting past a human recently when they already have a US card or two?
Talked with a total of 3 reps, two from the normal recon number, and one from the credit department. All 3 said the same thing - you can't get another US Airways card if you already have one. This despite the fact that I had 2 at the same time as recently as 11 months ago, which they were aware of.

Lesson Learned: if you're thinking of one last score for this card, you probably won't get it if you're still holding a US Airways card.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:46 am

Data P: Got denied Us Airways 50k premier master card. Rep said I could upgrade my platinum to the premier, but i did not want to lose my anniversary bonus. I also would not get the 50k bonus miles if i upgraded. Interestingly, a second rep said I was allowed to have two Us Airways cards and transferred me; however i got denied a third time, and it was noted on my account i called in, so no charm the third time calling in.

Also, i asked about the inquiry and was told i received a hard inquiry for those wondering.

Last edited by sftravelninja; Dec 17, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
My husband had both the World Premier Mastercard and the downgraded version of the US Airways card. We canceled his World Premier back in April 2014. He has had the downgraded card since 2011.

I tried getting him another World Premier last night and got the "in review" message. Had him call recon today. They asked him a bunch of questions and eventually said he cannot have two US Air cards (although he has had two in the past!), even if they are different versions. He tried explaining that he would like to have both cards so that he can separate expenses, etc but that didn't make a difference. They told him he could cancel his current card and get the new one or upgrade the one he has. He wasn't sure what to do at that point (I'm the points person in our family) and said he would discuss it with his wife and get back to them later today.

So, here is my question. Should we call the regular card number and cancel his old card then call recon back or should we try recon again and let them cancel it? My only concern with letting them do it is that they may try to push the upgrade again rather than cancel and reissue.

Edit: Just checked the application status online again and now it's gone from "under review" to denied. ???

Last edited by LA_FadeAway; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
So, here is my question. Should we call the regular card number and cancel his old card then call recon back or should we try recon again and let them cancel it?
All I can do is point you to this post from exactly a week ago (Dec 10):
Originally Posted by dafeij1
Data point from today:

Applied for card. No decision.
Called recon line. Declined for having an open US Airways card.
Called again. Still declined.
Called to close open US Airways card.
Called recon. Still declined.
Called recon again. Approved!

YMMV
The way I read it, I assume the call to close was the regular number, otherwise it would have said "called recon to close".

And warning: YMMV!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
My only concern with letting them do it is that they may try to push the upgrade again rather than cancel and reissue.
They can push all they want, but you can decline their pushes. Just be in right state of mind, and insist on cancelling.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
This is very YMMV:

[QUOTE=Soulag;24008936]Applied today after having my first USAirways card for only three months and was instantly approved for the second with a 10k line. This is my third card with Barclays; I closed the first and moved the credit to my first USAir card before applying for the second.

My data point from yesterday and to clarify: I cancelled another Barclay card (Apple financing) and kept the first USAir Premier MC open because it has a high 20k credit line, and was instantly approved for the second. From the other posts it does seem that Barclays is a bit random with this.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
If it helps any, most everyone who's denied for already having one open haven't actually gotten an inquiry. Then again, most people reporting that have been denied instantly, rather than after review.
sorry, not true. Most people go into the "review" and get denied when a human
sees another open USAir card. I kind of gave up on getting 2nd card...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
They can push all they want, but you can decline their pushes. Just be in right state of mind, and insist on cancelling.
I guess my point is that they wouldn't be willing to close and reissue the card if they think we should just upgrade it. Sure, they can't force us, but we could just end up stuck with the denial and possible inquiry at that point.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:18 am

I've had the US Airways MC no fee version for about 10 years and just got approved for the 50K offer 10 days ago and received the card yesterday.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:30 am

How long does it take to get the credit card in the mail after approval?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Have a cookie.
Lol

Just got the 6th person I handle their 4th US Air card. 1 currently open, 25+ apps this year (3rd with Barclay). My other data points and best chance for churning are in previous posts in this thread.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
Both spouse and I applied and approved for US airways barclay card this evening. Weve never had Citi AA cards. When this card converts in 2015 (or whenever it does), will it preclude us from getting the AA card? It seems like the Citi AA card is no longer churnable.
No, getting this card will not preclude you from getting an AA card nor any other card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.