Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is MasterCard losing ground to VISA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:03 pm

I've seen a lots of MasterCard MasterPass advertisements on Hulu Plus recently.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by jonnyd13
Interesting, I didn't know this was happening. I wonder what will happen with the Ink cards?

Also, I wonder if it would be beneficial to do a product change with my Freedom/CSP from visa to mc in hopes of being eligible for another sign up bonus in 2-5 years.
It's my understanding from others around here that Chase isn't allowing any new Mastercards and will be transitioning all Chase-branded Mastercards to Visa in early 2014.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:10 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is DC still around? the others seem to be expensive.
Also, Discover is "linked" to DC in many countries (not U.S.). Used Discover at places posting DC many times in Brazil. (You do have to call Discover first to get an 'OK to use" in a specific country).
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zip
Also, Discover is "linked" to DC in many countries (not U.S.). Used Discover at places posting DC many times in Brazil. (You do have to call Discover first to get an 'OK to use" in a specific country).
The Diners Club network doesn't really seem to exist anymore, it just seems to be a brand name. When I use my UK Diners Club here in the UK the receipt will normally say "Discover" and occasionally "Diners/Discover". The Discover logo is normally the logo shown on doors as well (Often with the Diners Club logo next to it though).
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is Mastercard losing ground to Visa?

After reading this thread, I began to think of some of the good reward cards out there, and realized Visa has more than MC. The only good MC I can think of are by Barclays - VS, US, LH and the Arrivals.
Define "losing ground". You seem to be looking solely at popular rewards cards. There are way more credit cards issued in the US than are not talked about on FT (because they don't earn anything that anyone on FT is interested in) than that do get talked about on FT.

So if you mean "losing ground" on FT, perhaps. If you mean "losing ground" as in their overall business model, the discussions on FT about "hot" rewards cards and which networks those are on is close to irrelevant.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Define "losing ground". You seem to be looking solely at popular rewards cards. There are way more credit cards issued in the US than are not talked about on FT (because they don't earn anything that anyone on FT is interested in) than that do get talked about on FT.

So if you mean "losing ground" on FT, perhaps. If you mean "losing ground" as in their overall business model, the discussions on FT about "hot" rewards cards and which networks those are on is close to irrelevant.
...and honestly losing ground on FT might be a good thing from a financial perspective
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:18 pm

is there a reason to use MasterPass app? Paypal offers discounts via it's app....
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
While preparing for a trip to London and Dublin, I realized that every card I intended to take is a MasterCard. In the end I decided to also take the Chase BA VISA only because it had been used to pay for ballet tickets.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
To me, VISA vs MC is just as same as Coca Cola vs Pepsi. They pretty much offer the same exact thing and all it comes down to is personal choice.

If you're agnostic, you're also free to say no thanks to both and go with Dr. Pepper!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:01 am
mia

Originally Posted by kebosabi
... They pretty much offer the same exact thing
In the USA we have this impression because the banks which owned MasterCard and VISA for several decades operated an illegal duopoly. Now that this has ended they compete with each other, banks are free to also offer Amex-network or Discover-network cards, and we are beginning to see some product differentiation between MasterCard and VISA as they look for ways to retain (VISA) or gain (MasterCard) market share and revenue.

I am not reporting that I chose cards because they are MasterCard, but rather the cards I chose based on benefits and features increasingly are MasterCards. We still put a fair amount of spend on VISA cards, but most of it is internet purchases or recurring charges, and the physical cards seldom make their way out of the safe.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by kebosabi
To me, VISA vs MC is just as same as Coca Cola vs Pepsi. They pretty much offer the same exact thing and all it comes down to is personal choice.

If you're agnostic, you're also free to say no thanks to both and go with Dr. Pepper!
I don't recall hearing even anecdotal reports of a transaction where one card was okay, but the other type was specifically not allowed (Visa or MasterCard only - NOT both).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
In the USA we have this impression because the banks which owned MasterCard and VISA for several decades operated an illegal duopoly. Now that this has ended they compete with each other, banks are free to also offer Amex-network or Discover-network cards, and we are beginning to see some product differentiation between MasterCard and VISA as they look for ways to retain (VISA) or gain (MasterCard) market share and revenue.

I am not reporting that I chose cards because they are MasterCard, but rather the cards I chose based on benefits and features increasingly are MasterCards. We still put a fair amount of spend on VISA cards, but most of it is internet purchases or recurring charges, and the physical cards seldom make their way out of the safe.
MC is gaining market share in terms of total cards, and spend vs. V. Not just in the US, but also globally. While V is still larger, MC is gaining ground

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't recall hearing even anecdotal reports of a transaction where one card was okay, but the other type was specifically not allowed (Visa or MasterCard only - NOT both).
For example, Costco Canada will be moving to MasterCard only, no Visa, no AMEX. There are other merchants which only accept one and not the other, but this is the largest example. Also, when travelling, I've been places where only MC is accepted and not Visa. Not as common in the US, but it does happen.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:44 pm

Sam's Club is MC only. The Olympics are Visa only (according to commercials). In Brazil I found lots of places that accepted only Visa (or sometimes only Visa debit).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can think of a couple of locations in South America. I've also been to places in the US (restaurants) that have only taken Amex.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:25 pm
mia

Florida Power and Light, which accepts credit card payments through Western Union Speedpay, accepts American Express, Discover and MasterCard, but not VISA.

Also, see recent discussion here, at post 343, mentioning an educational institution which accepts MasterCard, but not VISA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23561246-post343.html

Last edited by mia; Sep 30, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.