Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New to travel/airline credit card, really confused.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Hello guys!!

I am really interested in a travel credit card and have been trying to do a lot of research in that regards but can't seem to figure out what to do.

The town i live in, the nearest airport offers only US, delta and United airlines.

I usually travel twice a year back home ( south east asia) and usually fly emirates, qatar, etihad.

I also usually travel twice a year within US and usually choose my airlines randomly depending on the ticket fare.

I was looking for a card in which i can redeem miles both domestically and internationally!

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
What's your nearest airport? What are you travel goals?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:33 pm

I think the first few steps would be:

1. get frequent flier accounts in the airlines you will use, if not most/all of them
2. ditto for rental companies
3. ditto for hotel companies
4. figure out what your goals are: do you want to use points domestically to make trips free?
- do you want to save up points for a trip down the line?
- if so, where to?

then you have to do research to figure out how to get there and the hotels there.

Points are only worth the money spent to get them if you actually will use them.

For example, it would appear in your case that most of your miles will come from your trips to southeast asia. You will likely enjoy the upgrades (if you want them) on those airlines more than on domestic flights.

I would start with:
- getting frequent flyer accounts for those airlines you use to get to SE asia, the ones you mentioned
- then look at the forums for each of those frequent flyer programs

Lastly, get a goal and work towards it.

hope this helped
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by docebzz
Hello guys!!

I am really interested in a travel credit card and have been trying to do a lot of research in that regards but can't seem to figure out what to do.

The town i live in, the nearest airport offers only US, delta and United airlines.

I usually travel twice a year back home ( south east asia) and usually fly emirates, qatar, etihad.

I also usually travel twice a year within US and usually choose my airlines randomly depending on the ticket fare.

I was looking for a card in which i can redeem miles both domestically and internationally!

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Thanks!
you've already identified the airline options available from your nearest airport, so take the time to research airline alliances to determine which has the best flight options for your international flight preferences. then choose the relevant card that allows you to earn the miles you need
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP
A couple of thoughts: US is attempting to merge with AA, so you may soon have access to all 3 alliances. The best two cards for nearly anyone starting out are http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...first-222.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...redit-174.html since both AA and UA offer one-way awards. But this game takes time and effort - feel free to subscribe to some miles and points blogs to help you get started. Start doing dummy award bookings at aa.com and united.com so you'll know what to do with the miles you earn. Then learn how to find availability that does not show up on aa.com (google or ft search will help). And read this http://www.milenerd.com/2013/10/how-...yet-again.html and this http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/0...-credit-cards/
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:21 pm

Is Credit Card Forums the new Miles Buzz?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
IMO, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.