Best credit card for new Iphone

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:08 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase the new Iphone 5S tomorrow and I am trying to decide which credit card would be best to use. I am trying to decide between my Ink Bold, Sapphire or any of the main AMEX cards (SPG, Gold, or Platinum). While getting any bonus points would be nice I am really looking for an extended warranty out of this. Am I right in thinking that if I use my SPG card that it will automatically add a year on to the phones warranty?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the length of the manufacturer's warranty on the phone?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:14 pm

Always use SPG for big electronics purchases
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:33 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the length of the manufacturer's warranty on the phone?
The manufacturers warranty is 1 year I believe.

This is what I thought. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

The warranty will cover only the price you pay and so if u r buying a subsidized phone then it will cover only the reduced price (for ex: 199$ For 16GB)
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:02 am

What is the best credit card to buy a new phone?

So I'm in line to buy a new phone at the fruit store. What is the best credit card to use in terms of purchase protection?

I have lots of the popular "manufactured spend" cards, but I was thinking the Amex Platinum has the best warranty extension and lost/stolen protection.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by compddd
SPG purchase protection does not cover loss (i.e. If you misplace it). The platinum will cover that as well. Also, if you have the BRG Amex you get 2x MR purchasing from Apple.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Tummy
So I'm in line to buy a new phone at the fruit store. What is the best credit card to use in terms of purchase protection?

I have lots of the popular "manufactured spend" cards, but I was thinking the Amex Platinum has the best warranty extension and lost/stolen protection.
IME AMEX Plt for warranty extension and lost/stolen protection hands down. It is not only what is covered but also by the way that you are treated when making the claim.

Other cards which claim to have this benefits: It seems like the agent is paid based on the number of claimed they denied. This was my experience as well as experiences of many extended families, friends and acquaintances.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
On the subject of Amex warranties, what happens if you cancel the card you used to purchase the item under warranty? If you still have other Amex cards is it honored or must the original card of use still be open?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dukerau
On the subject of Amex warranties, what happens if you cancel the card you used to purchase the item under warranty? If you still have other Amex cards is it honored or must the original card of use still be open?
Anecdotal evidence from a thread on this matter in the Amex MR sub forum says as long as you are have any eligible Amex cards and your accounts are in good standing, the extended warranty is honored even if you close the card on which you made the purchase.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's ask this in the credit card forum.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
IME AMEX Plt for warranty extension and lost/stolen protection hands down. It is not only what is covered but also by the way that you are treated when making the claim.

Other cards which claim to have this benefits: It seems like the agent is paid based on the number of claimed they denied. This was my experience as well as experiences of many extended families, friends and acquaintances.
Are there any differences in the protections on Amex Platinum vs other Amex cards such as SPG cards? Looking through the benefit guides it doesn't seem like there are any differences...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by floressalicis
SPG purchase protection does not cover loss (i.e. If you misplace it). The platinum will cover that as well. Also, if you have the BRG Amex you get 2x MR purchasing from Apple.
The first part about the purchase protection is true, however its only good for 90 days on either card, so not a huge difference.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
The first part about the purchase protection is true, however its only good for 90 days on either card, so not a huge difference.
Loss/Theft protection is a huge "difference" when it comes to gadget purchases, especially iphone. Most dropped or stolen incidences happen during the initial "break-in" stage.

PS: Go Terps! Class of 2000.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:58 am

Just a related Q: I bought an iPhone 5 with my PRG and it was stolen in Rome. Will Amex cover it? I don't have a police report and I'm not sure if the stolen phone is covered outside US? (<90 days though)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.