Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Considering TY Preferred, Already Have Two TY Premiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

I am considering taking up Citi's limited time TY Preferred 40k signup bonus, however I already have a Visa (opened August 2012) and MC (opened February 2012) Premier. Does anyone have doubts about me getting the card since I already have two Premiers? Have people held both cards at the same time? I was going to spin it as a way to get a TY card with no annual fee, if I have to talk to a recon representative.

Thanks

Hamken
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
They don't mention specifically about getting the same card again but did say the following in the terms and conditions:

This offer is only valid for new accounts.

Not sure if that means it doesn't apply for those who upgrade to this card or if it means, it's only for those who never had a TY or TY Preferred card before.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
In Citi's hierarchy, having the Premier shouldn't affect getting approved for the Preferred. Not sure I recall anyone reporting that it worked but theoretically it should.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Hamken
I am considering taking up Citi's limited time TY Preferred 40k signup bonus, however I already have a Visa (opened August 2012) and MC (opened February 2012) Premier. Does anyone have doubts about me getting the card since I already have two Premiers? Have people held both cards at the same time? I was going to spin it as a way to get a TY card with no annual fee, if I have to talk to a recon representative.

Thanks

Hamken
Shouldn't be a problem. Last 11/11 my wife applied and got a Premier Visa, about 2 weeks later she got a Prefered card offer in the mail for 50,000 TYP's with $2500 spend and double points for 12 months. 3 1/2 months later she applied for and got the Premier Master card. So she's got all 3 and a sweet deal on the Preferred. I never got one. lol

Last edited by jjmiller69; Dec 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
In Citi's hierarchy, having the Premier shouldn't affect getting approved for the Preferred. Not sure I recall anyone reporting that it worked but theoretically it should.
What is the hierarchy of the cards (and please post the source)?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AscorbylPakmitate
What is the hierarchy of the cards (and please post the source)?
Here is a chart showing the hierarchy: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...ouCompareCards

In addition, there is one more card off to the left that's not shown. It's simply called the "ThankYou Card" - no additional moniker. It's available as a product change from a variety of other Citi cards. It's basically the same as a Preferred except I don't think it has a yearly dividend bonus and obviously no sign up bonus.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Here is a chart showing the hierarchy: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...ouCompareCards

In addition, there is one more card off to the left that's not shown. It's simply called the "ThankYou Card" - no additional moniker. It's available as a product change from a variety of other Citi cards. It's basically the same as a Preferred except I don't think it has a yearly dividend bonus and obviously no sign up bonus.
thanks.

Half a year ago I signed up for the Premier and got 30k signup bonus (after spending 2,000). 3 months ago, another family also signed up for the Premier and got 50k signup bonus (after spending 2,500). i believe the latter is now dead.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the responses and clarification.

I applied for both last night... I am waiting to hear back...Would it be a good idea to call in to the recon line to confirm information? Will that get me a quicker response? Or should I just wait for a response and go from there?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:28 pm

link for the 40k offer i cant find it
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by myb821
link for the 40k offer i cant find it
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2012/...#disqus_thread

note: i think (and expect that) this blogger gets a referral fee for the signup. also note that it's not a 40k one time bonus

"For a limited time only, you can earn up to 40,000 Citi ThankYou points when you sign up for the Citi ThankYou Preferred card. All you need to do is spend $3,000 in the first 6 months of card membership to get your first 20,000 ThankYou points. If you spend another $3,000 in the following 6 months, you’ll be rewarded with another 20,000 ThankYou points. That’s a $400 value, all yours for the taking!"
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, UA Premier Gold; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2012/...#disqus_thread

note: i think (and expect that) this blogger gets a referral fee for the signup. also note that it's not a 40k one time bonus

"For a limited time only, you can earn up to 40,000 Citi ThankYou points when you sign up for the Citi ThankYou Preferred card. All you need to do is spend $3,000 in the first 6 months of card membership to get your first 20,000 ThankYou points. If you spend another $3,000 in the following 6 months, you’ll be rewarded with another 20,000 ThankYou points. That’s a $400 value, all yours for the taking!"
Anyone know whether you can apply for this offer if you already have a TY Preferred card?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:49 pm

Just applied for this today and was approved (had to call in to provide more info though because of an address mismatch).

I already have a Citi Forward from some number of years ago, so we'll see how this plays out. I'll ask about the bonus when I get the card and activate it. This is my second Citi card ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.