Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

which airmiles card for multiple airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Hello,
Currently been using the Citi and Barclaycard credit cards for the AA Advantage miles because American Airlines is one of the main carriers for my local airport.
However we are moving and this will no longer be the case.
Our new nearest airports will be San Jose (45mins away) and then San Francisco area Airports, California.
Is there a credit card that gives miles for different airlines, especially those that are competitive for these airports?
Our typical spend annually is through our business and about $150,000/year may go on the credit card, paid in full each month.
I will make an annual trip to Las Vegas from SJO or SFO and maybe over to North Carolina, and maybe international, not sure where we will travel to.
Also, we just booked 5 flights (for my family) from Neward to London on Virgin, can the miles from this trip go onto the new card I get?
Finally, will I simply lose the AA miles I currently have if unable to use? I find AA prices typically a lot higher so am happy to finally switch!
Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You do not necessarily need to transfer to the program of the airline on which you intend to travel. Most major airlines belong to one of three international alliances, and you can redeem through any program for travel on flights operated by all airlines in the same alliance.

That said, the major USA-based airlines are partnered with different card issuers.

American with Citi and Barclays.
Delta with American Express.
Southwest with Chase.
United with Chase.

No card earns rewards transferable to all four.

American Express Membership Rewards can be transferred to Delta, to partners of American and United, and to many others. No sensible way to use for Southwest. See THIS thread.

Chase Ultimate Rewards can be transferred to Southwest and United, and to partners of American and Delta. See THIS thread.

Starwood Preferred Guest is a hotel program, but they have an attractive airline transfer feature. Their credit card is issued by American Express. Starpoints can be transferred to American, Delta, but not to Southwest and the transfer rate to United is not attractive.

All three programs transfer to Virgin Atlantic. Bear in mind that Virgin Atlantic miles can also be redeemed for flights operated by Delta.

Airline pricing varies by market. Don't assume that if AA was high priced in one market they are high-priced in another.

Last edited by mia; Feb 16, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Loel
Also, we just booked 5 flights (for my family) from Neward to London on Virgin, can the miles from this trip go onto the new card I get?

Finally, will I simply lose the AA miles I currently have if unable to use? I find AA prices typically a lot higher so am happy to finally switch!
Assume Newark - you can credit Virgin miles to other programs, but if already purchased you can only credit points from that purchase to that particular CC. MIles flown, OTOH, you can credit to whoever partners with VA.

IIRC your AA miles expire after 18 months of INACTIVITY - if you credit other airlines to AAdvantage or make some purchases via AA portal (see AA forum for LOOONG thread) or have correct AA branded CC your miles will never expire.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
If you're spending $150k/year on Airfare and living in the Bay Area the AMEX Platinum card would make a ton of sense since you get 5x Membership Rewards points on flights. This is better than any airline co-branded card and you would also get access to the Centurion Lounge at SFO.

Mind you, the 5x points are for any airline, booked directly through the airline. So you'd still get a lot of points for any bookings on airlines like Southwest.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I don't think he said he spend $150k on airfare, I think it was $150k total across all categories.

I think SPG may be your best bet. Flying out of SFO/SJC that are a lot of option on AS especially with the new Virgin America acquisting.

SPG miles xfer to AS at 1:1.25 (20k SPG for 25k AS). They also transfer to a bunch of different airlines that could be beneficial to you.

I agree that one of the more premium cards (read $450 annual fee) might be good like the Amex plat or Chase Sapphire Reserve for increased point earnings.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by Loel
Thanks
AA miles expire after 18 months of no activity. Every time you earn or burn miles that 18 month clock resets. So if you don't have a flight, you could say shop through their shopping portal. Or donate 1k miles. Or use miles for a ticket for a family member and all you miles are good for another 18 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.