Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How many cards is too many? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many cards is too many? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:53 pm

PS--Good thread, lots of good info...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Is that % utilization per card or per total available credit limit.
Both matter. Overall may matter more but you don't want low overall with a maxed card, for example.

And despite what MDtR-Chicago says it's not just FT'ers and those in debt that have a high number of cards. Any credit discussion site is likely to have those with a large number of cards.

Last edited by takeshi74; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:18 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Both matter. Overall may matter more but you don't want low overall with a maxed card, for example.

And despite what MDtR-Chicago says it's not just FT'ers and those in debt that have a high number of cards. Any credit discussion site is likely to have those with a large number of cards.
Thanks. Is not going above 10-20% a good rule of thumb for both?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Thanks. Is not going above 10-20% a good rule of thumb for both?
This article suggests 30% as a limit. 20% seems reasonable. There is no hard and fast rule.

Once you get a few cards with decent limits, utilization begins to matter a lot less, assuming your spending doesn't skyrocket. According to my current credit card log, I have 145k in total credit lines, 45k of which is on business cards which mean they don't show on my personal credit report. I don't think I've had a month in recent memory where my total credit cards have closed north of 6-7k in any given month but I still do manage my utilization during the month with extra payments if doing heavy MS.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...-fico-1270.php
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:17 am

I personally feel better having less cards (I have 6 and will eventually be paring down to 4 or maybe 5). I don't like having to constantly log in to a bunch of accounts. I don't like having tiny amounts rewards spread out over a bunch of cards. For someone who doesn't spend a ton of money, there just isn't really any kind of meaningful gain by spreading so thin. Some people want the absolute most return on every transaction. For my spend level/income, it's a waste of time to worry about opening new accounts for an extra 1% on one category, etc. I couldn't understand, for example, the fervent hype for the Chase AARP for 3% dining from people who had 2% everywhere cards. But that's just my perspective. Some feel it's worth it.

Some people have 15 or 20 cards and have no issue managing them and maximizing all the rewards. For me, rewards vs effort just isn't there with more than a small handful of cards. YMMV.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This article suggests 30% as a limit. 20% seems reasonable. There is no hard and fast rule.

Once you get a few cards with decent limits, utilization begins to matter a lot less, assuming your spending doesn't skyrocket. According to my current credit card log, I have 145k in total credit lines, 45k of which is on business cards which mean they don't show on my personal credit report. I don't think I've had a month in recent memory where my total credit cards have closed north of 6-7k in any given month but I still do manage my utilization during the month with extra payments if doing heavy MS.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...-fico-1270.php
Good article! Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Amex Blue Citi Double Chase Freedom
Originally Posted by kdm31091
I personally feel better having less cards (I have 6 and will eventually be paring down to 4 or maybe 5). I don't like having to constantly log in to a bunch of accounts. I don't like having tiny amounts rewards spread out over a bunch of cards. For someone who doesn't spend a ton of money, there just isn't really any kind of meaningful gain by spreading so thin. Some people want the absolute most return on every transaction. For my spend level/income, it's a waste of time to worry about opening new accounts for an extra 1% on one category, etc. I couldn't understand, for example, the fervent hype for the Chase AARP for 3% dining from people who had 2% everywhere cards. But that's just my perspective. Some feel it's worth it.

Some people have 15 or 20 cards and have no issue managing them and maximizing all the rewards. For me, rewards vs effort just isn't there with more than a small handful of cards. YMMV.
I'm almost at that point myself. I don't spend $4-5,000 a month on a credit card; 1, because I'm a teacher and 2, because I'm a teacher. But since I am able to pay rent on a CC with no fees I've realized I can put $1400+ a month on credit. This amount hits all the spending minimums to get these big bonuses. So for that reason alone I'll first be getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred to add to my Amex Blue and Citi Double so I can hit that 50,000 points bonus. I'm likely to only open 2-3 accounts a year at the moment and then closing them when or if necessary. My rough calculations show that even with max $1600 a month spend I should be able to accumulate minimum $1,200-1,400 a year in points and cash back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.