Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canceling Citi Premier, What Happens To ThankYou Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Anything CC gives me

So I have both Citi Forward and Citi Premier. The ThankYou accounts are "merged" and linked. Does anyone know if I cancel Premier, will I be able to retain my points earned through that account since I still have Forward open?

I sent Citi email asking this but they said any points remaining after account closure must be used within 30 days of closure date, otherwise they are forfeited. The points from both accounts are only pooled for redemption purposes. They then gave me a breakdown of how many points were earned from each account. Is this true?

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by booyaa
... any points remaining after account closure must be used within 30 days of closure date, otherwise they are forfeited.
Precisely correct.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:53 am

How about downgrading it to no-fee CITI Thank You card?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please read the T&C which specifically says conversion to another card does NOT preserve the points which would expire in 30 days after the closure of "sponsor account" that is the card those points are associated with.

For those who never care to explore TYP website - log in your account, go to your account summary and click on the points expired in 90 days even it says 0 - and pick Show All - you would be surprised by how PRECISELY Citi has the TYPs listed under each card from which the points are coming from.

Citi has this ability from Day One when it first introduced TYP program.

There is no any way to get around it.

The only way I could think of to somehow preserve the "value" without immediately using them is to book a Fully Refundable airline ticket - if this can be done with the current program since it is operated by a much worse outfit than before - then when you have actual trips coming up, go to the airport to ticket the new trip against the existing fully refundable ticket and ask the agent to issue you a voucher - Not sure this can work because in general the refund would have to go back to the original form of payment. I know CO would not do it, AA occasionally would. Use this method at your own risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.