FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1333519-alaska-airlines-card-offers-personal-business-2012-2016-a.html)

UA Fan Apr 6, 2012 8:32 pm

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

[New 30K link posted on 6/13/13.]

The usual seems to be 25K, so I think this deserves mention:

DEAD https://consumer.bankofamerica.com/U...?cid=2069047#b

tjbrooks Apr 7, 2012 8:56 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 18349266)
The usual seems to be 25K, so I think this deserves mention:

https://consumer.bankofamerica.com/U...?cid=2069046#b

And I finally pulled the trigger a couple days ago on the 25K card. Anybody have experience with Bank of America matching like Chase/Amex?

jeelele Apr 7, 2012 9:00 am

Nice find. Just in time for my next round of apps. Thank you.

blackmamba Apr 7, 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 18350890)
And I finally pulled the trigger a couple days ago on the 25K card. Anybody have experience with Bank of America matching like Chase/Amex?

I think BofA takes forever to do any matching and from what I've read they seldom match at all. I guess it really boils down to how nice the rep is.

muji Apr 7, 2012 10:26 am

Note, there is annual fee: "$75 for Visa Signature accounts, $50 for Platinum Plus accounts, or $35 for Preferred accounts"

tjbrooks Apr 7, 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by muji (Post 18351264)
Note, there is annual fee: "$75 for Visa Signature accounts, $50 for Platinum Plus accounts, or $35 for Preferred accounts"

Same as always. Also important to note that if you're not approved for the Signature, they could give you the other two, and their sign-up bonuses are much lower.

thetravelabstract Apr 7, 2012 12:00 pm

great find UA Fan

muji Apr 7, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 18351602)
Same as always. Also important to note that if you're not approved for the Signature, they could give you the other two, and their sign-up bonuses are much lower.

Good point. While the bonus is 30,000 miles for Signature accounts, it is only 10,000 miles for Platinum Plus accounts, and 8,000 miles for Preferred accounts.

GGE Apr 7, 2012 2:48 pm

This is the first card I have seen so far (I am relatively new to this, of course) that has a $99 companion certificate issued without a spend requirement nor having to wait until your first anniversary - this says if you get the Visa Sig version of the card you'll get your 30K miles and your $99 companion cert. upon approval (1-2 wks for the 30K miles). That is quite nice.

It also has a vague reference to Alaska Airlines Boardroom Passes, but I"m not sure whether this is an added free perk to the card, or what.

Now I must research whether these are transferable miles, and/or whether I have the ability to utilize this airline. ^

edit - I see, I cannot transfer these out to other programs by the looks of it (aside from via points.com, of course) but I CAN use the miles on AA or DL. It also says I can EARN elite qualifying miles with AS when I fly on AA or DL... now I am curious whether I must do something special in order to make the miles post.. whether I will get miles for both AA and AS when I fly on AA, etc.

FT : Educating THrough Encouraging Research .. ETHER... whoa man, deep. :P

RetiredRoadWarrior Apr 7, 2012 3:10 pm

Has anyone who has existing card tried getting a second? I don't see anything in the fine print to preclude that.

emax48 Apr 7, 2012 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior (Post 18352282)
Has anyone who has existing card tried getting a second? I don't see anything in the fine print to preclude that.

Yes, got a 2nd card last year for the 40k. Still have both. I think I'll try to cancel and do another. By all reports, this should work as well.

emax48 Apr 7, 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 18350890)

Tried last year for my wife who applied for the 25k before the 40k came out. Got nowhere with them with multiple e-mails and calls. I'd say the chances are not good but it doesn't hurt to try.

bj2757 Apr 7, 2012 7:00 pm

I got the card last year when the bonus was 40,000 miles. The miles and the companion pass code were in the account before I ever got the card. I received Board Room passes in the mail shortly after. I used the companion pass for first class flights from Austin to Honolulu this October :-)

I applied for my wife when I saw this yesterday - got the "we'll let you know" screen. Since she gets the mileage for the flight to Hawaii she'll have a good start on the card!

flymonthly Apr 8, 2012 1:33 am

Originally Posted by GGE (Post 18352194)
edit - I see, I cannot transfer these out to other programs by the looks of it (aside from via points.com, of course) but I CAN use the miles on AA or DL. It also says I can EARN elite qualifying miles with AS when I fly on AA or DL... now I am curious whether I must do something special in order to make the miles post.. whether I will get miles for both AA and AS when I fly on AA, etc.

Yes, you can use the miles on AA or DL or a slew of foreign airlines like BA & AF, but you can't use more than one of their partners on the same award trip.

You can credit EQM & RDM to AS when you fly on some of their partners like AA, DL, or EK, but you can't also get mileage credit on the flown airline. So if you fly on AA, you can credit your miles to AA or to AS, but not both. In order to credit your miles to a different airline than the one you're flying, you specify in the reservation which airline the miles should be credited to (as long as it's one of their partners) and put in your ff # for that airline. The miles should be credited automatically after you fly, but it takes extra time -- on occasion, a very long time or you'll need to ask for the miles to be credited. Make sure to save your boarding passes from the flights in case you need to submit copies as proof of flying. Some fare classes may not receive any mileage credit or may receive more or less than 100% on partner airlines. On other partner airlines like CX or KE, you can only credit RDM to AS, no EQM.:(

x712xdamx Apr 8, 2012 1:50 am

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior (Post 18352282)

I haven't applied for my 2nd one yet (got the 40k last year), but there have been quite a few posts that the Bank of America cards are churnable. Of course, YMMV and you still have to have a pretty credit report to get approved :cool: