Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How to turn home construction/remodel into miles or points. [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

I am new to this site, first posting,
I will be doing a $25,000 to $30,000 home remodel this summer. I have the cash but I was thinking about using miles credit cards to pay and try to rack up some FF miles.
I have the Chase Sapphire card and the US air dividend miles card. Any suggestions or advice on new cards I should use to get the most miles for remodel?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Will you be performing the work yourself or hiring contractors? Do the contractors accept payment by card?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

We will be acting as contractor and purchasing all the material for the workers to install. I will need to buy sheetrock, flooring, windows, appliances, countertops, etc. from warehouse type stores.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
How are you paying the workers? Maybe they will accept PayPal - it would get you some extra miles/points.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I would look at a card like the Chase BA visa that will give you a companion pass for spending 30k( i know the taxes are high but there is still value here) or the hilton amex free card that will give you gold status with 20k spend, or the hitlton surpass card that will give you diamond with 40k spend, or the spg amex that will give gold with 30k spend.
there might be others out there but the high spend threshold status bonus would be a good deal
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KFurry
I am new to this site, first posting,
I will be doing a $25,000 to $30,000 home remodel this summer. I have the cash but I was thinking about using miles credit cards to pay and try to rack up some FF miles.
I have the Chase Sapphire card and the US air dividend miles card. Any suggestions or advice on new cards I should use to get the most miles for remodel?
You could acquire a card that provides extra miles/points for purchases at grocery stores (the specific card will be a function of your reward preferences) and buy gift cards to Lowes, Home Depot, etc. at the grocery store.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by wrxmom
How are you paying the workers? Maybe they will accept PayPal - it would get you some extra miles/points.
If the workers take Paypal, they will almost surely be taking a haircut on Paypal fees. I wouldn't nickle-and-dime them that way. I guess that to me, it's one thing to use a card that adds to the retailer's cost of doing business, but another to do it to someone for whom that isn't part of how they normally work.

I have a small consulting business with one client, a hospital, I bill them low 5 figures a year, and I would be pretty put out if they asked me to accept payment in a way that would cost me over $300 in fees. (Not that they ever would.)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by wrxmom
Paypal charges 2.9% for using CC. I don't know how much you value 'dividend miles' or 'ultimate reward' points, but, I'd gladly forgo the 25,000 points in either program in order to save $725 on the renovation.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Given my personal value of a mile, I would use my Fidelity American Express card for 2% cash back. You may read about it on my website below in the Credit Cards section, and may read about bonuses for opening a Fidelity account in my Finance section.

Consider that you charges would be an easy way to meet minimum spend requirements for new cards. For example, take a look at the three 50K miles each American Airlines cards. Then perhaps an American Express card that offers Membership Rewards points, like the American Express(R) Premier Rewards Gold Card for 25K points. Use the two browser trick. Details on my Credit Cards > Annual Fee Cards page.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:48 pm

Delta Skymiles shopping site gives 2x points for Home Depot and (currently) 3xpoints for Lowes shopping. Whether you can purchase what you need via a "Skymall" type site is questionable though..
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
why not sign up for that new delta amex...i think 75k offer..if you spend 25k...its the targeted one...

yeah be sure if your buying stuff from lowes...to go thro the grocery stores to buy the lowes gift cards...then go to post office and pick up movers packets for 10% off (up to 5k spending) ...when buying the lowes gc from grocery stores i would suggest the amex prg or any other card that gets you 2x points grocery store
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
I often shop around for lower prices. Lowes and Home Depot will beat any price by 10%. Sometimes I will use a 2% cash back Fidelity Amex to buy BigCrumbs Amex GC's for another 1.5% rebate. That could be 13.5% discount.

You could also purchase BigCrumb GC's to meet minimum CC spends for milage bonuses, then use these to purchase your construction materials.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Is the chase AARP card 5% cashback for 6 months offer still available?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
I often shop around for lower prices. Lowes and Home Depot will beat any price by 10%. Sometimes I will use a 2% cash back Fidelity Amex to buy BigCrumbs Amex GC's for another 1.5% rebate. That could be 13.5% discount.

You could also purchase BigCrumb GC's to meet minimum CC spends for milage bonuses, then use these to purchase your construction materials.
Home Depot/Lowes gift cards are available, in quantity, online for EASILY 7-10% off their face value at any of the gift card reseller sites. If you couple that with the price match listed above, you're probably saving 15-20% off their retail price. Apply for some cards with high spend/reward requirements before you go on your gift card shopping spree and you're looking at a damn nice return on your home remodel you were going to pay for anyway. Online portals for 2xmiles in this case is far less than the return you could get.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Lowe's Business Rewards Card gives 5% discount on purchases at Lowe's, plus two points per dollar. The points are in a proprietary rewards program, not Membership Rewards, and appear to be worth $0.01 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.