Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How to turn home construction/remodel into miles or points. [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to turn home construction/remodel into miles or points. [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Watch prior to Father's Day for Lowe's gift cards discounted at Grocers and even Michael's. I got 20% off my granite counters for both bathrooms that way at Lowes plus the 10% off coupon applied. That was a long receipt and the saleswoman from counters stuck with me the whole way through ringing them all up.

Never thought I needed granite countertops, but the remodelers convinced me as far as resale value and they do look great.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:59 pm

Finally started on our new house. Need to charge about 100k in the next month between lumber and windows. Wanted to open a new CC and still unsure which one to get. I was thinking SPG American express card. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:58 pm

If you haven't already done so, apply for the Slate. I just opened one with a 15k limit, made a ;arge purchase using a 2% rewards card, and moved 15k to the Slate. No transfer fee in the first 60 days, and 0% interest for 15 months.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:27 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...f-staples.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:30 am

Best strategy for $5k-$10k Home Depot purchases

I'm renovating my house and I want to maximize UR points/miles so I was thinking of buying $200 GC's at Staples with my Ink card and combining with 10% Home Depot coupons. Any other suggestions to maximize points? Thank you.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:36 am

Buy your items online via shopping portals using those gift cards for more points.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Buy your items online via shopping portals using those gift cards for more points.
Thanks, do you know what is the maximum number of GC's you can use per order? Can I use 10 x $200 GC's on a $2k order online?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:47 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by insano
Home Depot/Lowes gift cards are available, in quantity, online for EASILY 7-10% off their face value at any of the gift card reseller sites. If you couple that with the price match listed above, you're probably saving 15-20% off their retail price. Apply for some cards with high spend/reward requirements before you go on your gift card shopping spree and you're looking at a damn nice return on your home remodel you were going to pay for anyway. Online portals for 2xmiles in this case is far less than the return you could get.
this is excellent advice ^
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:12 am

Newbie doing kitchen 20k Kitchen remodle want to earn points

My wife and I are planning about 20k in remodeling and I figured we might as well earn some points.

We currently have no credit cards, we have never really used them. But would love to earn some sort of free trip.

Which credit cards would you guys suggest would earn the best points and rewards?

Which steps would you guys take if you were doing this?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher808
M

We currently have no credit cards, we have never really used them. But would love to earn some sort of free trip

Which steps would you guys take if you were doing this?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, first of all.

I'm no expert on Credit Scores, but methinks you may want to check that first.

You obviously aren't going to be burdened by limits how many cards you can open since you don't have any, but with no history it may hamper you in opening some of them.

Lastly, what is the purpose of CCs

Do you want cash back, points for flying, flying Business Class overseas or points for hotels.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:33 am

This is tough because it may be difficult to get approved for a desirable card with a high credit limit. To start with, do you know any of your FICO 08 credit scores? FICO 08 is what is normally used for credit card applications.

You can check your Experian FICO 08 score for free here:
https://www.creditscorecard.com/

Please post your score back so that we have an idea of what's the path for you to take.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Just pay the CC, as the balance increases, you can not pay beyond the amount due...

No limit on gift cards at Lowe's or HD...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
This is tough because it may be difficult to get approved for a desirable card with a high credit limit. To start with, do you know any of your FICO 08 credit scores? FICO 08 is what is normally used for credit card applications.

You can check your Experian FICO 08 score for free here:
https://www.creditscorecard.com/

Please post your score back so that we have an idea of what's the path for you to take.

Thanks the last time I checked it was in the 770's
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher808
Thanks the last time I checked it was in the 770's
If I were in your shoes, I'd try for a Chase Sapphire Reserve that will soon be launched:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...erve-card.html
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Home Improvement - Good Card?

Doing some projects on new house. Home Depot offers 0% deals for up to 24 months at the purchase/spend we would be looking for but get nothing in return at all. Looking at other options could apply for to setup a better return on points and/or sign up bonuses.

Currently have AMEX Plat, DL Play and Chase Freedom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.