Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Prestige, Freedom and Ink as the only cards to hold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

With the goal of minimizing the time involved with accumulating and redeeming points - and cutting cards down to near the bare minimum - I was looking at the Prestige card to hold as my main personal card. Spending wise, I can benefit pretty well from the travel and dining categories. Airline and GE benefits reduce the cost for me, I like the 1.6 value towards AA cash tickets to simplify things instead of navigating redemption mazes, and maybe the hotel benefit will be a bonus for me too. I'd plan to renew, so I don't think it matters I missed signing up last month.

Right now I have Freedom/CSP and AmEx SPG for business. Looking further out, I'm thinking cancel CSP and SPG as soon as I can qualify for Ink (currently blocked by 5/24) so I can still use Freedom UR properly. And then I'd just put all personal expenses on Prestige and all business on Ink - maximizing bonuses wherever possible.

I've only been doing this for about a year, and would appreciate feedback from more experienced members. Would you recommend a different strategy? Main goals are maximizing value, while simplifying and minimizing time on this as well.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:43 pm
umc

Originally Posted by Ttrevi88
With the goal of minimizing the time involved with accumulating and redeeming points - and cutting cards down to near the bare minimum - I was looking at the Prestige card to hold as my main personal card. Spending wise, I can benefit pretty well from the travel and dining categories. Airline and GE benefits reduce the cost for me, I like the 1.6 value towards AA cash tickets to simplify things instead of navigating redemption mazes, and maybe the hotel benefit will be a bonus for me too. I'd plan to renew, so I don't think it matters I missed signing up last month.

Right now I have Freedom/CSP and AmEx SPG for business. Looking further out, I'm thinking cancel CSP and SPG as soon as I can qualify for Ink (currently blocked by 5/24) so I can still use Freedom UR properly. And then I'd just put all personal expenses on Prestige and all business on Ink - maximizing bonuses wherever possible.

I've only been doing this for about a year, and would appreciate feedback from more experienced members. Would you recommend a different strategy? Main goals are maximizing value, while simplifying and minimizing time on this as well.
5/24 does not apply to Ink Plus.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the clarification on Ink Plus. I currently have Chase United business, and initially got rejected twice before talking them into giving me a shot with it with follow up calls. Since then - satisfied spend and went back to using SPG. When evaluating me on chase united, they complained about number of accounts opened. This was last July. Is it worth risking the denial?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I like the 1.6 value towards AA cash tickets
You can earn $0.02 per dollar with several cards, some of which are free. The only way that $0.016 is greater than $0.02 is if you can average more than 1.25 points per dollar when spending on Prestige. This is mathematically possible because some categories earn 2 or 3 points, but it will depend on your personal transaction mix. It's much easier if you happen to still hold a Citi Forward card which earns 5 points per dollar in several categories.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:22 pm

Agreed, with a few possible enhancements...

Good questions. I agree the Prestige is a fine card, not expensive after the annual $250 airline credit, giving access to AA lounges (when flying AA) and Priority Pass lounges, and with some nice bonus rewards categories. I prefer the 3X gasoline rewards of the TY Premier, however, when Freedom isn't paying 5% (and Premier is offering 50,000 miles right now with $3K spend). Also, I use TY points for international flights so I value them at around 2 cents each, exceeding that 1.6 cent per point cash benefit for AA flights.

While I think the Ink Plus has primary car rental insurance for work travel (as does your United Business Visa), CSP provides primary rental car coverage for all rentals. I do value the increased flexibility of UR points, however, and the CSPS 2X travel/dining earning opportunity. I also appreciate the benefits of the Prestige's 3X travel earnings.

Tough call. Thus far, I've kept the Prestige, CSP, Ink Plus and Freedom (not to mention Premier and SPG). Are you sure about closing the SPG? It's nice to have when staying at Starwood properties and offers the opportunity to earn 1.25 AA miles (about 2.5 cents) per dollar on regular spending.

You might want to consider keeping the CSP and SPG open at least until the annual fees are due. You could enjoy the benefits they offer for no additional expense and I think it's generally acknowledged that one should keep credit cards open for at least one year unless there's a compelling reason for closing them early (like the refund of a $450 annual fee).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:21 pm

1) don't get rid of CSP
2) get Ink Plus and downgrade it to Cash
3) CSP + Cash + Freedom is too good to pass on
4) Prestige is a great card. You get too much value for $100 AF. Forward goes great with it.

discloser: CSP and Prestige are the only AF cards that I keep.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: United
Ink Plus is a permanent keeper. The Ink Cash downgrade has a 25K annual 5X category limit. The Plus is double that. You won't get an annual fee with the Plus if you have any retention skills at all.

The Citi Premier and Prestige are pretty remarkable and if you're AA friendly, they can't really be argued against.

SPG is your call. I get a lot of value out of it, but Marriott looms.

I'm signing off on your proposed consolidated strategy. The only place you lose out is biz dining. Assess what that means to you.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback and some great ideas - this forum really is a great community.

As for using the 1.6 valuation, I kind of figured that as a floor, and maybe cash tickets will eventually get cheaper with oil at $30. Redeeming miles has been frustrating for me, which makes a decent cash alternative a lot more attractive.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
...and maybe cash tickets will eventually get cheaper with oil at $30. Redeeming miles has been frustrating for me, which makes a decent cash alternative a lot more attractive.
lol. Airlines are making their first decent profits in over a decade and planes are full. I don't expect them to pass along their savings on jet fuel to us.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
lol. Airlines are making their first decent profits in over a decade and planes are full. I don't expect them to pass along their savings on jet fuel to us.
Until someone undercuts them or they get greedy and expand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.