Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

How is the Citi ThankYou Rewards system in the current state?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the Citi ThankYou Rewards system in the current state?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crimson12
Got it, thanks. So he really did know what he was talking about.
Only if he has 16,000 purchase points ($16k of purchases to the card) to match the 16,000 flight points.

If so, it seems like the card allows double, or even triple, dipping -- because when he redeems 80,000 TYP for another $800 ticket to Beijing, he'll still earn 16,000 CO miles.
This loophole is kind of closed. Technically no flight points from TYP redemption. Once in a while, those flight points do slip through. YMMV. Even so, he needs additional 16,000 purchase points to match the new 16,000 flights points. It's not that easy to game, and that's why the card has not been widely discussed lately.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:19 pm

Got it. But as I understand it the sign up bonus points count as "purchase points", right? So at least for the first couple of flights, he'd be ok?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:39 pm

Got it. But as I understand it the sign up bonus points count as "purchase points", right? So at least for the first couple of flights, he'd be ok?
Unless something has changed recently, sign-up (as well as other bonus types) bonus points don't count toward points to be matched with flight points.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NO. That was history.

Now bonuses of any kind do not count. Only ACTUAL SPEND (purchase points) would be used to match the flight points.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I think I got lucky here...I have a June flight on my latest statement - to my surprise I got the flight points credited already. I suspect it just fell through the cracks as I have another ticket for next week charged to the same statement, however, no flight points for that one...

Last edited by jamflyer; Apr 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Here's a question:

If I redeem UA miles (50K) for a flight, but then pay the $20 award cost with my TY Premier, do I get flight miles for that flight?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roki
If I redeem UA miles (50K) for a flight, but then pay the $20 award cost with my TY Premier, do I get flight miles for that flight?
Not anymore. Citi closed this loophole. It does still work if the fees (per ticket) exceed a threshold which I believe we have established is $50. I recently received flight points for an international AA redemption which required fees of a few hundred dollars for UK Air Passenger Duty. Ample discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ht-points.html
Old May 10, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by jamflyer
I think I got lucky here...I have a June flight on my latest statement - to my surprise I got the flight points credited already. I suspect it just fell through the cracks as I have another ticket for next week charged to the same statement, however, no flight points for that one...
Got my latest statement and Citi did catch the error resulting in me earning negative points this months.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:08 pm

Citi Thankyou points, Max Value is ......?

I have 200K+ Thankyou Points. Is there any reward which values higher than 1c/point?
Old May 24, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
If you have the thank you premier card, I believe each point is worth 1.33 c
Old May 25, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by kyunbit
If you have the thank you premier card, I believe each point is worth 1.33 c
Only for airline bookings through their designated site, but yes.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
As mentioned, 1.33cpp for flights booked through TY website if you have the Premier.

Otherwise, 1cpp generally, 1.11 cpm on some gift card sales, and 1.25cpm on the good gift card sales.

I personally cashed in a TON of mine in January for the $100 Amazon / 9K point offer.

If they're not burning a hole in your pocket, though, I'd hold on to them. Of course, the rumors of transfer partners are still swirling around. If not, then eventually they'll probably put a gift card you will use on the 8K point sale. Or, if you have the Premier card, you can pick up $2600+ in airfare with them.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by roki
As mentioned, 1.33cpp for flights booked through TY website if you have the Premier.

Otherwise, 1cpp generally, 1.11 cpm on some gift card sales, and 1.25cpm on the good gift card sales.

I personally cashed in a TON of mine in January for the $100 Amazon / 9K point offer.

If they're not burning a hole in your pocket, though, I'd hold on to them. Of course, the rumors of transfer partners are still swirling around. If not, then eventually they'll probably put a gift card you will use on the 8K point sale. Or, if you have the Premier card, you can pick up $2600+ in airfare with them.
+1 and if you don't have a Premier Card you can sign up and get another 50,000 TYP's.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by safigan
Only for airline bookings through their designated site, but yes.
For those of you not aware, this now includes Southwest airlines. I find their web site very easy to use. You can also book one way tickets if desired. And of course you earn airline miles just like if you had paid cash with your own credit card.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Question

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
+1 and if you don't have a Premier Card you can sign up and get another 50,000 TYP's.
Excueeze me?

Seriously, I just got a citi thank u visa... 20k for 600$ spend. How can I complain to reach the next tier of offer?

Phil

By the way, I'm not sure if the 1099 form applies for ty points... Couldn't find a definitive answer. Anyone know for sure? If yes, what's the value per mile declared?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.