Wiki Posts
Search

Paying college tuition & earning rewards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

phantomtiger's questions about using cards to pay tuition have been moved to the Credit Card Programs forum and merged with an established thread because there is no "manufactured" aspect to the spending.

See also this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-tuition.html
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
If your nephew's college accepts credit cards, just use the Chase Ink to charge the tuition. There's no need to get gift cards if they accept credit cards and you need to meet a minimum spend requirement on a credit card.

Sorry for the misunderstanding as I missed a detail when I posted about Nephews tuition and Ink card. I just got the ink card this week and need to use the $5k spend. Tuition for nephew for this semester already past and paid by parents 2 weeks ago. I was thinking of getting the Chase Visa GC (debit) to help him pay for NEXT semesters tuition. Trouble is cant get just one card as a test to see if it will work as I need to use the Ink card within 3 months to meet the $5k minimum. I figure if anyone have done this before and it was ok then I would buy $2k worth of Chase Visa cards /month to get the spending out of the way and also help my nephew with next semester. Thanks for any insight.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: UNITED 1K / AA EXEC
Which card is the best to use SPG or Chase INK

I need to pay college tution $14000 with no credit card fee, which card is the best one to use to get most valuble points, I have SPG,CHASE INK,CITI PRISTAGE, UNITED CLUB, ALASKA AIR
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Most of the time, colleges charge a fee (1.5 to 2%) for using CC to pay tuition. Are you sure there is no fee?

I suggest using SPG card since the points are more valuable than others IMO and can be transferred to almost any major airline of your choice. Also, if you transfer 20,000 points you get a 5,000 mile bonus.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Please follow this thread in its new home in the Credit Card Forum.

Pat89339
Moderator, Mileage Run Forum
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by chilba
I need to pay college tution $14000 with no credit card fee, which card is the best one to use to get most valuble points, I have SPG,CHASE INK,CITI PRISTAGE, UNITED CLUB, ALASKA AIR
Another consideration: Does your school take Amerian Express, or only VS/MC? If they truly do take Amex, then definitely do SPG. If they don't, then I'd go Alaska, as they're the toughest miles to accumulate.

Btw, give me about a week, and I'll have a great story to tell about how many miles/points I'm getting from tuition this semester--can you say bonanza? Can't wait to give the amazing details! Stay tuned...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:24 pm

I can pay with no fee. We (wife and me) got a round of cards just for tuition/room/board. I just got a SPG (25K points), 2 marriott (70K each), 2 Hilton (75k each) and 2 Jet blue (20K each). I needed hotel points and spread the apps across banks.

2 days letter was targeted with the AMEX bus card at 75K points. I have a month to respond but may have too many apps lately. I have 5 more semesters to take advantage of this gravy train. However, my child moving off campus will hurt my earning capacity.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:15 pm

My daughter's college lets me pay by credit card for only a $30 setup charge each semester, and it can be paid in 5 installments per semeseter. It's been great for meeting minimum spend on various cards or just putting it on Venture 2% rewards.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Bratwurst und Bier
My daughter's college lets me pay by credit card for only a $30 setup charge each semester, and it can be paid in 5 installments per semeseter. It's been great for meeting minimum spend on various cards or just putting it on Venture 2% rewards.
Consider throwing in a few Amex Gift Cards since you can double dip on the shopping portal (up to 2.25% frequently).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:06 pm

I was paying with $200 Visa gift cards that I got a Office Max when there was no fee. I got 5x bonus with the ink card. After about 10-15 of them I stopped because I had to register each one with VISA so they had a zip code they could verify. It was not worth the hassle. I wish they had $500 or $1,000 gift cards
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:36 pm

Well, this semester has been paid--and we made out like points and miles bandits!

4 kids, private Christian University, after scholarships, a bit over $31K in fees.

Here's how we did it--keep in mind, Amex couldn't be used, but there were no fees at all for using VS/MC! We paid tuition to meet the min. spends on 14 new CC, and here's what we earned in the process:

3 Citi Premiers, 3 X $3000 = $9000 for 159K TYP
3 Citi AA Plat, 3 X $3000 = $9000 for 159K AA miles
1 Citi AA Biz, $3000 for 53K AA miles
2 BofA Alaska, 2 X $1000 = $2000 for 52K AS miles + $200
1 Chase UA MPE, $3000 for 58K UA miles + $50
4 Citi Hilton no-fees, 3 X $1000/1 X $2000 = $5000 for 235K HHonors points
$4500 on Barclays A+ @ 2.2% = $100
TOTAL: $31,000 for

159K TYP
212K AA
52K AS
58K UA
235K HH
$350

If I can average 1.5 cpp, and typically I do much better than that, with the statement credits, that comes in right around $11K of value. 35% return on tuition fees--not bad for 31K of spend that had to be made...

Last edited by Preacher7; Aug 15, 2015 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:36 pm

Well, the dust has settled on this semester's tuition payments, and it's truly remarkable! Remember, our University takes V/MC with no surcharges. One of my boys graduated at Christmas, so I'm down to 3 at school. $22,750 in tuition, room and board got all of these sign up bonuses on 11 new credit cards:

1. 57K United miles on the MPE
2. 25,750 AA miles on the Citi Gold
3. 53K AA miles on the Citi Plat
4. 56K Hyatt points on a sweet targeted offer on the Chase Hyatt!
5. 61K IHG points + $50 on the Chase IHG
6. 53K AA miles on the Citi Plat
7. 53K AA miles on another Citi Plat
8. 53K more AA miles on yet another Citi Plat
9. 61K IHG points + $50 on the Chase IHG
10. 52K Southwest miles on the Chase Southwest (but...$99 AF!)
11. 53K AA miles on the Citi Plat

TOTAL: 577,750 miles/points + $1

What a haul!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
If you can time your payments to the NBA finals or All star weekend the BBVA NBA card will get you 5% cash back.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:09 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Well, this semester has been paid--and we made out like points and miles bandits!

<snip>

159K TYP
212K AA
52K AS
58K UA
235K HH
$350
<snip> right around $11K of value. 35% return on tuition fees--not bad for 31K of spend that had to be made...
Preacher, did you get this haul for last spring and the second haul for the fall semester. or are they combined? This is terrific, and does lessen the pain of high expenses. When they are all graduated, you can take a break on a NICE, long trip with your wife. You'll have the points for it! Congrats on a great year. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Preacher, did you get this haul for last spring and the second haul for the fall semester. or are they combined? This is terrific, and does lessen the pain of high expenses. When they are all graduated, you can take a break on a NICE, long trip with your wife. You'll have the points for it! Congrats on a great year. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry for my late reply. I didn't see your post till today. This thread is kind of, well, seasonal for me, I guess you'd say!

The 2 hauls above that you referenced, one last summer and one around the new year are separate hauls. We pay tuition each summer and around new year's, and I carefully plan ahead to maximize the "profit".

We're in full swing with this summer's tuition, which is due next month. I'll give an update after the dust settles here. But it's going to be another big one! It really is amazing that our U doesn't charge any fee at all for using CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.