Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying college tuition & earning rewards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
On a side note my school did credit card payments for one year. Then they quickly change it to a processing company which charges about a 3% fee. So even if you could charge it at a school, they can easily change the policy to incur fees.

(BTW while it is dead now once the school pissed me off so I paid them in dollar coins. I kept them wrapped up and it was just a public school so not too much money)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:51 am

Even if you could pay on a credit card, would you have a limit large enough for the charge?

Just something to think about...
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Payments would be around $30K a semester if it is $60K a year. $30K is within reason when it comes to FT'ers. I'm sure there is a way to break down the payments into different increments. As long as you have the money to pay off the balance ASAP, it could work..
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:49 pm

Summer school?

I don't know why, but where I went to school, regular tuition could not be charged, but tuition for summer classes could be. So I would take summer classes (because I needed to, not just for the points!) and at least get several thousand points over the summer. If they were willing to eat the cost for summer students, I don't know why they wouldn't for regular students, except for the obvious that there are many more regular students.

Anyway, my point is, there may be specific types of classes, semesters, registration periods, etc., for which you can use a CC.

I think also that you might be able to earn points via Capital One Rewards checking?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:06 pm

Too bad the Mint deal is dead, you could have shown up to the registrar with $60k in coins!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, DM Silver, RR, AA, US, BA
Afford.com

My daughter is starting college this fall at the Univeristy of Kansas. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

KU does not accept credit cards for payment of tuition directly, but they work with a third party vendor, AFFORD.COM to allow you to pay tuition on CC.

AFFORD does charge a 2.9 % Fee for CC. They take Amex, Discover and MC, but not VISA. They also allow you to pay in 4 monthly installments.

Im paying the tuition this way to meet minimum spend on the the five cards I applied for last week!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
My wife's school in NJ accepts CCs w/o a fee. I believe they are changing this right after she graduates
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
way back when my UA CC used to offer 0.5 miles / $1 on balance transfers... this was when money was flowing (no job, in college, with $35k line of credit & plenty of 0% APR offers)

I would just balance transfer a check into my bank account and immediately pay it off when the financial aid check came in.

Best bang for my buck. The school offered to charge the card at 3% .. it would have been double the miles, but not worth my $$ (since I was broke)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:59 pm

Unless the school accepts credit cards without fees, there is no real option. More and more schools are either not taking cards, or charge a fee (somewhat understandably, as they do not want to pay roughly 2-3% in processing fees [only the most extreme FTer would choose a school based on whether they took cards without a fee]).

Any credit card processing fee is designed to cover the costs of accepting credit cards. The rewards that banks give us is only worth a fraction of the money that they earn by processing the charge. Therefore, unless you put an unusually high value on the miles you receive, it is not worth paying the processing fee just to get miles.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:24 pm

Yep. Nearly ALL schools require CC processing fee which is pretty high and that negates the value of miles.

To people who say bring $1 coins to bursars office:

I have actually tried doing this once to pay $6k in dollar coins. I brought in all the coins that were wrapped in Mint's rolls and my bursars office simply refused to take them. They said that they do not have coin counting machine and have no way of counting them. (they did suggest that I take coins to the bank and exchange them for "real money" and then bring that "real money" to them) duh!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Not happy paying tuition, but at least I can pay with cc with no fees.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:45 am

Programs: All of Them
you have to be joking!

Originally Posted by element7
Yep. Nearly ALL schools require CC processing fee which is pretty high and that negates the value of miles.

To people who say bring $1 coins to bursars office:

I have actually tried doing this once to pay $6k in dollar coins. I brought in all the coins that were wrapped in Mint's rolls and my bursars office simply refused to take them. They said that they do not have coin counting machine and have no way of counting them. (they did suggest that I take coins to the bank and exchange them for "real money" and then bring that "real money" to them) duh!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Same here. What's also great is that they let you pay the tuition before the loans come in, so you can just pay back the CC with the loan money. They only take Visa and MC, but it's great for meeting thresholds and/or 2% cash back.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well my son's school took cc's without a service charge for his Freshman and Sophmore years with no problem. Just paid fall semester for Jr year and this is the last payment with cc without a svc charge. I was wondering when they were going to catch on but at least I got enough miles to go to New Zealand in J while the getting was good.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:32 pm

without checking out which credit cards my school took, i applied for the AMEX SPG card thinking i could hit the spending limit pretty quick on tuition. surprise! my college didn't take AMEX. at least i'll be able to rack up the miles on my Southwest card, but now i don't think i'll be able to him my $4,500 in 3 months goal for my bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.