Wiki Posts
Search

UK & Ireland Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, BMI
Originally Posted by jms_uk
HHonors Platinum Visa is now offering 10k points, not 7500.

https://www.hhonorscard.co.uk/Hilton...ginCode=HI0357
The American Airlines Amex card has a 10,000 mile bonus after your first purchase: http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i1...ffers/mbna.jsp

Even better, the bonus isn't limited to first time cardholders. I had an AA Amex already for personal expenses, applied for another so I could put my business expenses on a different card, and got the 10,000 miles straight away with my first statement.
Thanks guys for the updates

Andrew
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:34 pm

Does anybody know of any good online payment services to be able to get some miles. Apart from paypal of course.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

A relatively useful read:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...special-offers

Andrew
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by andrewsco
Agreed, although buyer beware, as some of the cards they recommend in that thread are an utter waste of space. I can't see too many FT'ers jumping for joy about that Ryanair card for instance ...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tearsplash
Agreed, although buyer beware, as some of the cards they recommend in that thread are an utter waste of space. I can't see too many FT'ers jumping for joy about that Ryanair card for instance ...
Agreed. They also miss out a lot of the CC's on this page too however just thought i'd post up.

Andrew
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Hilton offer changed again:

Free night cert with spend.
2,500 bonus points on first 4 stays in first 12 months with card
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
I applied for this card recently while the 10k offer was on. I got my PIN, but not the card yet [hopefully in post today tomorrow]. Which offer would apply as my first spend won't be until I get the card?

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Hilton offer changed again:

Free night cert with spend.
2,500 bonus points on first 4 stays in first 12 months with card

Last edited by jms_uk; Aug 3, 2011 at 5:36 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
I applied for this card recently while the 10k offer was on. I got my PIN, but not the card yet [hopefully in post today tomorrow]. Which offer would apply as my first spend won't be until I get the card?
The one you applied under... Unless you want the new one (one free night is worth more than 10k HHonors points in my view) then ring them up, say you have seen this and want it...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:30 am

Thanks for this thread, having just moved to the UK I find it incredibly useful! Btw, the July BMI offer has ended (it should be obvious of course). I also found this site online which might be helpful: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/airline/
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:18 pm

The one you applied under... Unless you want the new one (one free night is worth more than 10k HHonors points in my view) then ring them up, say you have seen this and want it...
After reading small print, new offer has a 3x higher spending limit [not a big problem ].

Last edited by jms_uk; Aug 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:10 pm

They've gone for the worst possible option - in my first statement I got 7500 bonus points - which was the offer from before I even applied for the card.

I think call is in order for tomorrow...

Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

They've gone for the worst possible option - in my first statement I got 7500 bonus points - which was the offer from before I even applied for the card.

I think call is in order for tomorrow...
Did they sort this out for you?

Andrew
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by andrewsco
Did they sort this out for you?

Andrew
They said so. After one email and one phone call, I was told that 2.5k additional HH points will be added to my account with next statement.
As last month's points only posted few days ago, I will have to wait another month now...

Also, if you look into bmi forum, I got an email about extended offer for bmi amex and 30k miles.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:44 am

Posting for 3 reasons. Firstly to thank Andrewsco for starting the thread, secondly to "tag" the thread to avoid losing it again and lastly, to ask for some advice.

Like I imagine the majority of you, I get a little frustrated when Amex is not accepted as a method of payment. I then usually pay with a Visa debit, forgoing any reward/points/miles whatsoever.

I need a backup Visa or Mastercard that will eventually enable me to transfer the points into my VS Flying Club account. After reviewing the excellent list Andrew has created, it seems I have two options....

The IHG Visa, which has a transfer ratio of 5:1, or the HHonors card at 7:1. Both are fairly depressing! Am I missing anything here?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I'm afriad that I don't think you are missing anything. I tried to pretty much no avail to find a visa/MC that was convertible to BA at a reasonable rate. In the end I decided to take out the BMI mastercard (1:1) which is only available over the phone. I fly with BD and thier partners a fair bit so it's an ok second CC for me.

In terms of virgin, I've not looked into it extensively, but I think your assumptions are correct unless anyone else has any ideas?

Andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.