Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rejected by Citi for changing addresses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Citi application additional documents

First of all, I just want to say that I'm fairly new to the points game, so I don't have a lot of experience with applying for credit cards. This is actually my first round of applications for sign up bonuses.

I applied for the Citi HHonors Signature Visa on 7/3/2013 and decided to check on my application status. The automated phone system indicated that they were requesting additional documents to verify my address and it requested a phone or utility bill.

I contacted a Citi representative, because I've had a Citi credit card since 2007, so I wanted to see if there was anything that we could do. The agents (I called twice just to try and talk to different people) basically just said "send us the documents, that's all we can do."

The problem I have is that I just moved and updated my address, but all of my recent statements came in with my previous address -- I think my next one coming in is on the 25th, but I will have to double check that. Additionally, the automated message stated that Citi would discard my application if they did not receive the documents within 30 days, and it also said it takes 7 - 10 days to process the documents once I send them via email.

I needed address verification for the Amex card I applied for also, but when I spoke with an agent there, they gathered some information form me and contacted my bank, with my permission, to verify details and address.

Does anyone have any suggestions with this? My main concern is that the credit inquiry has already shown up according to CreditSesame, and I'd really hate to have a wasted credit inquiry.

Any input is much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it's a rental, copy of the lease or if you purchsed, a copy of the HUD-1. Other docs which are generally updated immediately would be DL, vehicle reg. and the like.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jreddick
First of all, I just want to say that I'm fairly new to the points game, so I don't have a lot of experience with applying for credit cards. This is actually my first round of applications for sign up bonuses.

I applied for the Citi HHonors Signature Visa on 7/3/2013 and decided to check on my application status. The automated phone system indicated that they were requesting additional documents to verify my address and it requested a phone or utility bill.

I contacted a Citi representative, because I've had a Citi credit card since 2007, so I wanted to see if there was anything that we could do. The agents (I called twice just to try and talk to different people) basically just said "send us the documents, that's all we can do."

The problem I have is that I just moved and updated my address, but all of my recent statements came in with my previous address -- I think my next one coming in is on the 25th, but I will have to double check that. Additionally, the automated message stated that Citi would discard my application if they did not receive the documents within 30 days, and it also said it takes 7 - 10 days to process the documents once I send them via email.

I needed address verification for the Amex card I applied for also, but when I spoke with an agent there, they gathered some information form me and contacted my bank, with my permission, to verify details and address.

Does anyone have any suggestions with this? My main concern is that the credit inquiry has already shown up according to CreditSesame, and I'd really hate to have a wasted credit inquiry.

Any input is much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my post!
When I applied for my AA Business card, I had a similar situation where I was told they needed to verify my address. I called and spoke to someone and advised them about my existing history and relationship with Citi (AA Signature and AA Amex) They accessed those accounts and said that no additional verification was required. Perhaps it was my lucky day. Good luck and welcome to the 'game'
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If it's a rental, copy of the lease or if you purchsed, a copy of the HUD-1. Other docs which are generally updated immediately would be DL, vehicle reg. and the like.
That's a good idea, I'll have to look into that option

Originally Posted by texasguy77
When I applied for my AA Business card, I had a similar situation where I was told they needed to verify my address. I called and spoke to someone and advised them about my existing history and relationship with Citi (AA Signature and AA Amex) They accessed those accounts and said that no additional verification was required. Perhaps it was my lucky day. Good luck and welcome to the 'game'
Maybe you were just lucky, or maybe I was unlucky. Perhaps I will try calling again on Monday to see. I'd rather have everything done sooner than later anyway. I got instantly approved for the Chase card I applied for and I just had to call American Express and allow them to verify my info with my bank in order to get that one approved.

Anyway, thank you both for the input. I really appreciate it!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I wanted to add an update to this post to let people know about my experience thus far.

I learned that my utility bill at my new location was on a different billing cycle than my old place, so I actually got it on the 16th, which was a relief. I scanned the document and emailed it that day.

Today, 7/25/2013, I received an email saying they could not verify my address. I called this morning and was told that my utility bill is not acceptable because there is no amount in the "previous payment" block.... Of course there's no amount there, I JUST moved here! It's my first bill.

After stating that I understand the representative I was speaking to had no power to do anything, I requested to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor basically just reiterated that because there was no previous payment info, the address change is too recent and they cannot approve my card until I get my next statement.

I tried to argue that I have a credit card with Citi that I have had since 2007, and I have the same address with that card (granted, I changed it on June 28th, which the supervisor mentioned), and that it obviously uses the same social security number.

The argument for the policy was that there are too many fraudulent cases involving address changes or something to that extent. However, I've had the card for six years, I've never changed the phone number on it, and all they wanted to do when I changed my address online was call to make sure everything was good and that I still had the card in my possession.

They also argued that an existing card is different and can't be related in any way to a the new card. That seems silly to me, considering I verified the move on my old card, used the same phone number, email address, social security number, etc., but apparently they have to assume that a new card application using all of the exact same contact information as my existing card is a fraudulent application.

I understand banks need to verify information, but my gosh is this frustrating.

To reiterate my OP... I applied for Citi, Chase, and Amex all on the same day. Chase was instant approval, and Amex spoke with me on the phone and requested permission to verify residence information with my primary bank. And with Citi, I get this two month ordeal.

The only reason I am not absolutely pissed at this point is that the supervisor told me my application will be kept "alive" for 90 days instead of the originally quoted 30 days, so at least it's not a wasted inquiry.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:08 am

I just went through something similar. There are only a few utility bills here, and never had them put into my name (on wife's). I've not had a problem applying for a card in 11 years because of this, but it took 2 days to get my address verified with Citi. At least for me, Citibank was much more strict about verifying the address compared to Chase, BofA, Barclay's, or AMEX.

My advice would be to make sure you have a utility bill in your name, at your current address, with payment history, prior to applying to Citi.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirMileMillionaire
I just went through something similar. There are only a few utility bills here, and never had them put into my name (on wife's). I've not had a problem applying for a card in 11 years because of this, but it took 2 days to get my address verified with Citi. At least for me, Citibank was much more strict about verifying the address compared to Chase, BofA, Barclay's, or AMEX.

My advice would be to make sure you have a utility bill in your name, at your current address, with payment history, prior to applying to Citi.
Yeah, I will have to remember this for the future. I didn't even think about it being a problem when I applied just after moving. If I had any idea I wouldn't have done so.

The most annoying thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to do this for every Citi card I apply for in the future. There's a part of me that makes me not want to bother, but from what I've learned so far (still pretty new to this) Citi has the most churnable cards out there so I will probably continue to snag sign up bonuses.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Rejected by Citi for changing addresses

I recently moved within the same city. I changed all of my accounts to reflect the new address, including my citi checking acct. They accepted the change without hesitation, and citi statements began arriving to the new address.

Fast forward 2 months, I apply for a citi AA card (been more than 2 years since my last) and application was held because it didnt match their records until I can prove my relatively new address. They sent a letter to the address asking for proof of utility bills. I sent them in 3 times, and every time it was rejected for silly things (first was a cell phone, second didnt state address of service). The 3rd hit all of their requirements, but was rejected given that there was no previous payment (it was my first month's bill for the new cable company), only a new balance due, and they rejected my application with it . I spoke with the supervisor, who reported my credit check was fine, they just needed time elapsed at the new address if I were to reapply and they wouldnt hold my application like this again. Despite pressing, he refused to tell me how long I should wait.

So I turn to the wisdom of FT. How long must I spend at this new address before I can add the AA with the next churn?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

ohnodapopo's report and question has been appended to a previous discussion of the same problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.