Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

WSJ articles says that NTSB will fault pilot in Buffalo crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler

The WSJ article is pretty devastating regarding how the pilot involved had flunked numerous previous qualification tests for various aircraft.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124200193256505099.html
Old May 10, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat.
Originally Posted by hughw
The WSJ article is pretty devastating regarding how the pilot involved had flunked numerous previous qualification tests for various aircraft.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124200193256505099.html

Capt. Marvin Renslow had never been properly trained by the company to respond to a warning system designed to prevent the plane from going into a stall, according to people familiar with the investigation. As the speed slowed to a dangerous level, setting off the stall-prevention system, he did the opposite of the proper procedure, which led to the crash, these people said.

Additionally, his 24-year-old co-pilot, Rebecca Shaw, had complained before takeoff about being congested and said she probably should have called in sick, according to people who have listened to the cockpit voice recording.

Wow. This is not looking good for CO, Colgan, or Pinnacle.

I give this thread a few days before it's off to OMNI.
Old May 10, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
How sad. The lawsuits are going to start pouring in.
Old May 10, 2009, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The outcome isn't surprising: this one looked like "pilot error" from day one.

From a frequent flyer's perspective, what's a bit disheartening about this report is that it confirms a long-held suspicion: that you're probably a little less safe flying a commuter "partner" than a mainline aircraft. It's hard to imagine these pilot/training errors occuring at CO. That said, experienced mainline pilots do -- on rare occasion -- make some very dumb mistakes. Like I recall some AA pilots taking an aircraft into a mountain side in Columbia a decade or so ago.

And, statistically, it's probably irrational to avoid commuter flights. If you're 99.99998% safe, do you need to be 99.99999 safe?
Old May 10, 2009, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Be assured that a consequence of the decade long economic upheaval in commercial aviation will be an increase in accidents, one causor being pilots (particularly with regional airlines) who frankly have no business being in the cockpit of a commercial aircraft. I know quite a few aviation lawyers (who mostly represent airlines and insurers), and they are very much expecting a boom in business over the next decade.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by Student_Flyer

Wow. This is not looking good for CO, Colgan, or Pinnacle.

I give this thread a few days before it's off to OMNI.
While it's a PR problem for them, Continental won't end up paying out for the lawsuits because the hull & liability policies for the plane were carried by Delta...

http://www.businessinsurance.com/cgi...02-13&id=15410
Old May 11, 2009, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
And, statistically, it's probably irrational to avoid commuter flights. If you're 99.99998% safe, do you need to be 99.99999 safe?
I've been mulling that very point over for a while now. The first EWR-BOS flight per day now appears to be flown on a CO Connection Dash8 instead of a 737 which makes me wonder whether I should ask CO to change my connection to a later departure after getting off the overnight flight.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Be assured that a consequence of the decade long economic upheaval in commercial aviation will be an increase in accidents, one causor being pilots (particularly with regional airlines) who frankly have no business being in the cockpit of a commercial aircraft. I know quite a few aviation lawyers (who mostly represent airlines and insurers), and they are very much expecting a boom in business over the next decade.
Actually, "economic upheaval" probably results in BETTER pilots at the regionals. Lots of pilots looking for work now; fewer jobs. You can be more selective.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by iahphx
If you consider that many frequent flyers will end up flying a million or more miles during their lifetimes, then the chances of having an accident are not vanishing. Small, yes, but not vanishing.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
If you consider that many frequent flyers will end up flying a million or more miles during their lifetimes, then the chances of having an accident are not vanishing. Small, yes, but not vanishing.
I guess it depends on where you draw the line between small and vanishing. When the average stage length is around 1,000 miles and the chance of an incident is incredibly tiny the fact that you flew a million miles means you had 1,000 chances for something to happen, not a million. So the odds are still VERY heavily in your favor.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I think that the critical factor is the total number of takeoffs and landings, not flight miles.

I think that landings are especially dangerous relative to the rest of a flight.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The mainline union will have a field day with this. I can see the rhetoric now. CO's General liability carrier will cover the lawsuit expenses, and will seek to be indemnified under Colgan's policy. 1.75 billion/49 people = 35.7 million per-person. I don't see this suit exceeding policy limits, and hitting CO's liability carrier.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
This bothers me...how common are such schedules, I wonder.

...Both pilots were returning to work after a day off. Capt. Renslow was coming off weeks of late-evening and early-morning flying schedules, often sandwiched around only a few hours of rest. Ms. Shaw [the copilot] had spent the day before the accident skiing. She then took a red-eye flight from Seattle to report for work in Newark....
(From the linked article).
Old May 12, 2009, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
there's something also a little odd about this situation and that is the pilot was in his mid forties and this was his first (if I'm not mistaken) job in commercial aviation. I have absolutely no problem with mainline pilots in their 50s or 60s, but here's a guy who obviously has kicked around the bottom rungs of general aviation with a rather undistinguished career. In this day and age, my understanding is that it is pretty tough to be hired as a pilot even at the slave wages paid by express type airlines like Colgan. Why are they not hiring the best and the brightest they can find?
Old May 12, 2009, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by hughw
there's something also a little odd about this situation and that is the pilot was in his mid forties and this was his first (if I'm not mistaken) job in commercial aviation. I have absolutely no problem with mainline pilots in their 50s or 60s, but here's a guy who obviously has kicked around the bottom rungs of general aviation with a rather undistinguished career. In this day and age, my understanding is that it is pretty tough to be hired as a pilot even at the slave wages paid by express type airlines like Colgan. Why are they not hiring the best and the brightest they can find?
That's a little unfair, it is possible the guy chose flying as a second career or maybe he didn't want to go mainline. Let's not judge until we have all the facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.