Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Confirmed Seat, but Check In At Gate on BP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I was booked on an itinerary today that was jeopardized by a ground stop in EWR, so when the delay was announced, I asked to be rebooked for tomorrow.

In rebooking, I asked the GA to make sure that I checked in and added to the Upgrade Standby List. He handed me boarding passes, but couldn't confirm that I was on the upgrade list for the 2nd leg of my flight (the first leg is on a Q400). Checking via my Blackberry, I could easily see that I was not. Rather than taking up more of his time (there were a number of impatient people behind me), I told him that I'd call Continental and see if I could get on the list.

I did this during my drive home from the airport, asking them to see if there was a way to make sure I was on the list. However, the CSR noted that I had been rebooked into fare class Y, and offered to upgrade me on the spot due to my amazing CO Silver status, which I gleefully accepted

When I got home, I went to the CO web site and reprinted my boarding passes. The boarding pass for the upgraded segment shows my seat assignment, but right next to it is printed CHECK IN AT GATE. I've never seen that on a CO BP before, and another call to CO makes it appear as though both of the CSRs I spoke with haven't either.

Will the gate agent at my home airport be able to check me in for the 2nd leg of my trip tomorrow? I'm concerned that any delays in getting to my connecting flight would result in my coveted F seat being given away . . .

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Is it an international itinerary?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Is it an international itinerary?
No, about as domestic as things get . . . destination DEN.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: Onepass, BA Executive Club
This usually means that your flight is oversold and you have to go to the agent at the gate to get a seat assignment when one becomes available.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iah12
This usually means that your flight is oversold and you have to go to the agent at the gate to get a seat assignment when one becomes available.
That's what I was thinking but his BP has a seat assignment... Strange.

Can you share your flight number? I'm guessing your date of travel is 4/23?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Yes, 4/23, CO728.

The CSRs I spoke with claimed that, although I was checked in for my first segment, I was not for my second. That's why I have both a seat assignment and a notification to check in at the gate.

The boarding pass for my first leg is 100% normal.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
pda site shows economy as full, but they are still selling economy tickets. I guess they are expecting alot of no shows. You might be able to score a bump voucher if you want.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
pda site shows economy as full, but they are still selling economy tickets. I guess they are expecting alot of no shows. You might be able to score a bump voucher if you want.
KVS shows F2 Y4...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
Don't want . . . can't afford to be bumped this time (the client awaits). Thanks for the suggestion, though
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:57 am
Original Poster

So, does anyone know whether the gate agent at my home airport will be able to check me in for the 2nd leg of my flight, or am I going to have to take my chances when I get to EWR? It looks like it will be windy at EWR today, so I'm not sure I'll have much connection time.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:11 am

Rebooked in Y???

Did you actually have a Y fare or did the agent that rebooked you just rebook in Y? If you didn't really pay a Y fare that could be the cause of your problem.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

A followup:

No, I did not originally have a Y fare, but was rebooked in Y. However, at least 4 CO agents (telephone CSRs and GAs) looked at the PNR, and none noticed any problems. This morning, the GA at my home airport called the CO help desk and resolved the check-in issue. Good thing too . . . my originating flight sat in the hold area for 50 minutes after pushback due to volume into EWR.

Who am I to argue with 4 CO agents?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PorkRind
A followup:

No, I did not originally have a Y fare, but was rebooked in Y. However, at least 4 CO agents (telephone CSRs and GAs) looked at the PNR, and none noticed any problems. This morning, the GA at my home airport called the CO help desk and resolved the check-in issue. Good thing too . . . my originating flight sat in the hold area for 50 minutes after pushback due to volume into EWR.

Who am I to argue with 4 CO agents?
I have had several times when I was rebooked and put in the Y bucket. I usually got upgraded based on it. A lucky break, I guess, when things went wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.